This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LakeMads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm a little bit late to the game for pursuing medical school and am curious if my current plan seems feasible or should I take a gap year (which isn't ideal)...?

Graduating Dec 2018 with a Neuroscience BS and Chem minor with cGPA of ~3.8 at age 24.
Taking the second level of physics and bio that I didn't take in undergrad, as well as biochem, in Spring 2019 as post-bacc.
Taking MCAT in Feb or March of 2019 and apply to schools right after for matriculation in 2020.

I have fairly decent GPA and expect to do well on the MCAT, but my ECs are essentially non-existent. I've done about 50 hours of volunteering in an ER and about 30 hours of shadowing (~20hrs with ER doctor, and ~10hrs with family doctor). Other than that, I have no clinical/shadowing experience. By the time I graduate, I will have completed a year-long Honors research thesis and will be presenting the research at least twice, but it's nothing too in-depth (i.e. no lab research work, just lots of surveys, stats, and writing).

As for other things, I was the editor in chief for a campus chapter of the Odyssey Online (online media company) for about 5 months, and was in various clubs but never held office and never for longer than a semester. I was also an intern at a local women's shelter for a semester but it wasn't for credit, would it be acceptable to count that as a volunteer experience?

Sorry for the novel here. My question is: Is the next 1+ years enough to get some experience in (shadowing, clinical, community volunteering, etc.) or will it look bad to adcoms for it to all have been done so recently?

Members don't see this ad.

A Gap year if not two. Majority of successful applicants have 1 or more gap years and you are behind as it is

I've never heard of anyone taking a gap year unless it was absolutely necessary (especially if they're already graduating/applying/etc. later)

I know I won't have a problem actually getting enough hours in, I'm just wondering if it looks bad to get the majority of the hours in a year's time (beside what I already have from the past year or two that I mentioned). As long as I have a sufficient amount of experience, will it hurt me to have had it all done so recently?

Last edited:
I think you're gonna need a gap year IMO. You have 0 volunteer to needy, 0 leadership, subpar volunteering, low on shadowing. By the way you stated it, you are already taking a gap year. If you apply in 2019 for the 2020. So I don't really see the issue. It would be a problem if you were applying this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of anyone taking a gap year unless it was absolutely necessary (especially if they're already graduating/applying/etc. later)

I know I won't have a problem actually getting enough hours in, I'm just wondering if it looks bad to get the majority of the hours in a year's time (beside what I already have from the past year or two that I mentioned). As long as I have a sufficient amount of experience, will it hurt me to have had it all done so recently?

More take gap years than don’t.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you're gonna need a gap year IMO. You have 0 volunteer to needy, 0 leadership, subpar volunteering, low on shadowing. By the way you stated it, you are already taking a gap year. If you apply in 2019 for the 2020. So I don't really see the issue. It would be a problem if you were applying this year.

I'll admit, I'm new to this in a lot of ways and am certainly a bit fuzzy on timelines. I will have 1 year (give or take a couple months) to do volunteering/shadowing/etc. before I would need to submit my AMCAS application and thus 2+ years before admission in 2020, so would experience that I obtain after initial application be applicable?
That said, I have ample leadership and community service/volunteer experience, the issue is that it's all religious, through churches and faith-based ministries, and my understanding is that it's not great to include those as volunteer work...?

Thanks all.

60% of matriculants are one or more years past graduation when they start medical school

See question 16

Thanks for the link. I suppose I'm just worried because I already am "late" graduating, having taken 5.5 years, and will be just past the average age of matriculation even if I get admitted in 2020 (I'd be just about 26).

You may have to do a little more but you can always try and see, if you have the money that is. Applying to schools is not cheap. Depending how many schools you apply to, you may drop a grand just on primary and secondary apps and see nothing for it... talk to an adviser you trust or an admissions director/dean and see where you might stand on what you have

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Since you say you are new to this whole thing take some time and read some of the WAMC threads. You will be amazed at the amount and depth of ECs many applicants have when they apply. I’m sure you are anxious to get moving but if you apply with a less than stellar application you might not be accepted and then you’ll be a reapplicant. Most applicants aren’t accepted at all so you want to show your best self. If it takes a couple of years and you get accepted you’ll be ahead of the game. Slow down and do it right. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
No will care you are 46.... I mean 36...
Did you say 26? Seriously you are worried about 26??? You somehow think that applying with a weaker application but a year earlier is going to be better? Have you read any of the age related threads on here at all? Have you read any of the gap year threads at all? You need at least 1 if not 2 gap years just to learn about this process

Look, being rude isn't helping anyone. I'm merely asking for some advice. That's what I was asking, if it would be considered a weak application.

I thought this said negative one year to complete ECs...
I should really stop checking SDN in my phone

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm a little bit late to the game for pursuing medical school and am curious if my current plan seems feasible or should I take a gap year (which isn't ideal)...?

Graduating Dec 2018 with a Neuroscience BS and Chem minor with cGPA of ~3.8 at age 24.
Taking the second level of physics and bio that I didn't take in undergrad, as well as biochem, in Spring 2019 as post-bacc.
Taking MCAT in Feb or March of 2019 and apply to schools right after for matriculation in 2020.

I have fairly decent GPA and expect to do well on the MCAT, but my ECs are essentially non-existent. I've done about 50 hours of volunteering in an ER and about 30 hours of shadowing (~20hrs with ER doctor, and ~10hrs with family doctor). Other than that, I have no clinical/shadowing experience. By the time I graduate, I will have completed a year-long Honors research thesis and will be presenting the research at least twice, but it's nothing too in-depth (i.e. no lab research work, just lots of surveys, stats, and writing).

As for other things, I was the editor in chief for a campus chapter of the Odyssey Online (online media company) for about 5 months, and was in various clubs but never held office and never for longer than a semester. I was also an intern at a local women's shelter for a semester but it wasn't for credit, would it be acceptable to count that as a volunteer experience?

Sorry for the novel here. My question is: Is the next 1+ years enough to get some experience in (shadowing, clinical, community volunteering, etc.) or will it look bad to adcoms for it to all have been done so recently?
A recent burst of volunteer ECs give the strong odor of box checking. Take your time and do it right. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and in fact, by the time you apply, more will have opened their doors.

I was also an intern at a local women's shelter for a semester but it wasn't for credit, would it be acceptable to count that as a volunteer experience?
Yes, if you didn't get paid. But why not return there until you graduate and make it a more solid, longer-term experience (assuming it's local)? Then find something similar wherever you relocate after graduation.

Yes, if you didn't get paid. But why not return there until you graduate and make it a more solid, longer-term experience (assuming it's local)? Then find something similar wherever you relocate after graduation.

I actually am! I start orientation next week to be a child advocate and a medical advocate at the same center :)

You’re are going to need more than 1 year of volunteering. Schools like to see longevity. While it may not be true schools will take it that you didn’t want to volunteer but just did it for med school. More often than not it’s actually true.

You will need some community service volunteering and more clinical volunteering. Try for 200-300 hours each to be competitive.