1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

10+ score increase?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by tmcdona11, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tmcdona11

tmcdona11

Pre-Medical
    Do you think it is possible to score 10+ points higher on MCAT second time around? First MCAT taken in August & second will be taken in January. Ideally I would like to see at least a 10 point increase, but my goal is 13+ points higher. Any advice to be successful the second time around?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dailux

Dailux 2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Is it possible? Sure. But usually under circumstances where the individual didn't study AT ALL the first time, and committed to a proven program the second time (such as SN2ed).

MCAT studying absolutely reaches a point of diminishing returns, and very rarely do you see 10 point turn-arounds unless there is a glaring gap in material knowledge.

4. benjaminl1nus

benjaminl1nus Probationary Status 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Of course it's possible dude

5. popopopop

popopopop 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Two friends took it this cycle and increased 5 points from their practice test averages, both didn't change anything. It's possible, I'm hoping the same for me lol.

6. t0ny

t0ny 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I rewrote a 31 (12/9/10) that I did last year and am currently awaiting my scores for my rewrite. Bumping 10 points when you have a 31 is damn near impossible but bumping 10 points if you have 25 is definitely possible. I was averaging 36 on my FL before my rewrite and am expecting either that or above.

The main thing I did was change the WAY I study. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go about it the same way as you originally did because that clearly did not work for you. Change it up, give yourself the proper time and you will see the increase you want and deserve.

Keep your head up

7. frenchyn

frenchyn 2+ Year Member

I have a 20 first time and 31 second time so yes it is possible. I studied both time tho. I used kaplan first time and berkeley second time. I really like berkeley better

8. sashka1

sashka1 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  9. efle

efle not an elf Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    He got a 26 on unstudied practice, then studied and went up to 43. What that really means is he was quite bright but didn't have enough background or content knowledge, like most people when they first start. It is very different to study, take the MCAT, get a 26, study again, and then pull a 43.

About the ads