10 year old vet assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also find this part disturbing

"Despite all of her qualifications and her college degree, Courtney can't be in surgery by herself. Her mother has to be here with her as she volunteers. State law says that she's just too young."

What would she be doing in surgery by herself?

Um. Observing?

You guys to need chill out. Are you jealous of her or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa everyone. I did not mean for my comments to cause such a stir and I was half joking anyhow. Of course, I don't wish harm on a ten year old girl. She is ten years old... we were all annoying at that age. I have done various things I look back on and think, what was I thinking, I look like an idiot! I am sure if I had the chance to do what she did when I was ten I would have.

And yes, my anger is directed at the media and mainly just those annoying ignorant people you talk to that are adults and still think of a vet as an animal caretaker and not a true doctor. I am just sick of the media portraying the vets of the world as glorified dog-sitters.

I apologize to anoyone I offended and yes, my annoyance is not with the girl herself but moreso with those ignorant in our society that actually believe a 10 year old girl could possibly be a veterinarian. My apologies to all...

Um. Observing?

You guys to need chill out. Are you jealous of her or something?

My point was just that they were making it sound like she was operating on animals.

Like i said before, i wouldn't want my animals in a 10-year-old's hands in a stressful situation, for their safety and hers. But I'm more concerned with the lack journalistic professionalism apparent in this article.

Members don't see this ad :)
And also, of course I am jealous. I wish was ten, I could have a chance to relive college. Oh how I miss college.

You're right; she's only a ten-year-old kid, and the article about her is a cute piece of fluff. The problem with it is people seeing the headline "10-year-old veterinarian." Are we working our butts off to get into a profession that a 10-year-old could do? Nope. It kind of demeans the profession, which is my major issue with it.

I think it's great that she wants to be a vet. I don't see her as competition or as a threat. I knew I wanted to be a veterinarian before I was 10, but I started volunteering at a zoo (cleaning cages, mind you) when I was 13. I didn't get a tech job until I was 16. And the clinic where I work now doesn't hire anyone under 18 because of insurance reasons. My point is, at 10, she is not responsible or mature enough to be trusted with most of the duties of being a tech, not to mention the physical limitations of her height and size- can you picture her holding a rottweiler for a blood draw?

It's a cute little interest piece, but it's majorly skewed and a lot of the facts are jumbled around. Like how they use veterinary assistant and veterinarian interchangeably. :rolleyes: