11,000 for books and supplies!! Isn't it too much for a D1??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shemshad6682

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
so I will be starting d-school in a few days and I am shocked to see the cost of the book and supplies posted in my account, which is $11000 :scared: . I thought D1's mainly deal with basic science courses so it would be safe to assume that they wont be using dental materials as much, right? then where does this $11000 come from? mostly books? the worse thing is that it seems that I have to pay all that money because it is charged in my student account. i mean what if someone has some of the books already. Luckily, i have a lot of D2 and D3 friends who are willing to lend me their text books. How much were you guys charged for books and supplies in your D1 year? Was it mandatory for you to pay all of it, or was is just an estimate in your total cost of attendance and you had a way around it to pay less?
I am confused. Any help clarifying this will be really appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
so I will be starting d-school in a few days and I am shocked to see the cost of the book and supplies posted in my account, which is $11000 :scared: . I thought D1's mainly deal with basic science courses so it would be safe to assume that they wont be using dental materials as much, right? then where does this $11000 come from? mostly books? the worse thing is that it seems that I have to pay all that money because it is charged in my student account. i mean what if someone has some of the books already. Luckily, i have a lot of D2 and D3 friends who are willing to lend me their text books. How much were you guys charged for books and supplies in your D1 year? Was it mandatory for you to pay all of it, or was is just an estimate in your total cost of attendance and you had a way around it to pay less?

This probably includes all of your equipment (dental tools), computer, loupes, etc. You may want to email your financial aid adviser at your school and ask he/she to breakdown the costs in detail. Also, living expenses may be included in that.

Hi all,

Well, dental supplies are expensive. Each dentoform/typodont you will get (first year we got 3, second year we got 3 more), are $250 a piece, your articulator ~300, high speed handpeice ~300, slowspeed ~200, Curing light (if it is a good handheld one like we got) ~650. All your burs, teeth, bob parkers, gold issue (~500), etc etc etc etc. I doubt it includes loupes or computer.

Stuff adds up. it is expensive. we pay it because we need it to learn. As far as books. . . I never got all my books or, for the ones I did by, from the school bookstore.

Members don't see this ad :)
$11,000 is not so bad. If I remember right, we paid $14,000 the first year, and around $9,000 the next. And that didn't include loupes and a light (another $1,100 or so) or gold ($1200) , or books, or other supplies like extra teeth we needed throughout the years (another several hundred). Dental supplies are expensive, and I'm sure it varies school to school, but we definitely had a lot of lab work in the first year.