This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFPreP1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I really enjoy smoking weed. Throughout college, I've smoked fairly regularly with the exception of breaks of a couple weeks to a couple months here or there because of an upcoming drug test for a job, travel, family events etc...

I've recently been accepted into pharmacy school and have come to terms with the fact that I more than likely will have to smoke much less frequently or kick this activity all together. Not that I will feel that smoking will impede my success in pharmacy school, as it hasn't throughout college up to this point, but I acknowledge the fact that being at a rotation sites will require me to be drug tested.

I'm curious if anyone has been in my same position or knows someone who has. How did you handle it? Should one stop completely, or is regulation of drug use during school more uncommon than I anticipate? Does being in pharmacy school necessitate complete cessation of smoking marijuana?

Also, what are some thoughts on smoking weed while pursuing something in the health professions, or pharmacy specifically?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

[insert epic facepalm here]

Reactions: 1 users
Well there is the pesky licensing process...

ImageUploadedBySDN1459886439.988896.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

So I really enjoy smoking weed. Throughout college, I've smoked fairly regularly with the exception of breaks of a couple weeks to a couple months here or there because of an upcoming drug test for a job, travel, family events etc...

I've recently been accepted into pharmacy school and have come to terms with the fact that I more than likely will have to smoke much less frequently or kick this activity all together. Not that I will feel that smoking will impede my success in pharmacy school, as it hasn't throughout college up to this point, but I acknowledge the fact that being at a rotation sites will require me to be drug tested.

I'm curious if anyone has been in my same position or knows someone who has. How did you handle it? Should one stop completely, or is regulation of drug use during school more uncommon than I anticipate? Does being in pharmacy school necessitate complete cessation of smoking marijuana?

Also, what are some thoughts on smoking weed while pursuing something in the health professions, or pharmacy specifically?

Thanks.

It happens more than you think in pharmacy school. There'd be people who would come to class pretty stoned and it was really obvious and it really didn't didn't affect their success in pharmacy school. They all went on to do rotations and did just fine. I knew a guy in my class who told me he'd be so miserable out of his mind on his rotations that the only way he could get through his days was to smoke weed before going in. Yes employers do drug tests for jobs and internships but it was pretty easy to stop smoking a few wks before the test and then resume afterwards so I dont know anyone who was ever caught or denied a job or internship because of it.

A guy in my class was expelled during P4 year for refusing to take a drug test due to smoking weed. I bet that felt baaaaad.

I'll be 100% honest with you. A majority of people on this forum are very conservative or simply goody-goody. Despite what they say or think, you're very like going to know of classmates during pharmacy school and even fellow colleagues after graduating that smoke. It's not the smartest thing to do since it can cause you to lose your seat in the school or to lose a job, though the chances of getting caught are small. My advice to you is to at least keep it to a minimum so you don't screw yourself over by accident. I even knew several people in Rho Chi at my school that smoked regularly, but they were very smart to begin with. YMMV.

I'll be 100% honest with you. A majority of people on this forum are very conservative or simply goody-goody. Despite what they say or think, you're very like going to know of classmates during pharmacy school and even fellow colleagues after graduating that smoke. It's not the smartest thing to do since it can cause you to lose your seat in the school or to lose a job, though the chances of getting caught are small. My advice to you is to at least keep it to a minimum so you don't screw yourself over by accident. I even knew several people in Rho Chi at my school that smoked regularly, but they were very smart to begin with. YMMV.

Last I checked there's a thing called random drug tests.

Didn't realize avoiding illegal use of control substances meant you are goody goody

Last I checked there's a thing called random drug tests.

Didn't realize avoiding illegal use of control substances meant you are goody goody
It depends on where you go to school and your workplace. When I say goody goody, I'm referring to people that are adamantly against illegal drug use just because it's illegal.

BTW I don't mean to imply that I'm a drug user.

It depends on where you go to school and your workplace. When I say goody goody, I'm referring to people that are adamantly against illegal drug use just because it's illegal.

BTW I don't mean to imply that I'm a drug user.
There are more reasons to be against illegal drugs than the DEA schedule they're in.

See, I would have thought "goody goody" meant someone who was opposed to recreational drug use on moral/religious/ethical grounds. Someone who is opposed to *ILLEGAL* drug use, "just" because its illegal, that sounds like common sense, to me.

To the OP: Whether or not marijuana should be illegal is a separate issue from the fact that it is illegal. As has been mentioned, licensing boards and most employers of pharmacists will not support *any* illegal drug usage. I'm not aware of *any* hospitals or chain pharmacies that don't utilize (or at least threaten to utilize) random drug testing. So your job options would be limited to working for a sympathetic independent pharmacy (which you would be unlikely to find, due to insurance requirements for random drug testing) or owning your own pharmacy (and even there, how will your insure your pharmacy?) Also note, the DEA does not recognize any state laws allowing recreational or medical use of marijuana (even though they may not be actively enforcing the federal law in regards to the general public, they will not hesitate to enforce the federal law in regards to a medical professional using marijuana.)

If you want to be a pharmacist, my advice is to give up marijuana smoking 100%. And if you feel strongly enough, work to change the laws regarding recreational marijuana use. If you do not wish to give up marijuana smoking (or will not consider giving it up due to addiction), your best bet it to consider another line of work (probably one where you can own your own business, or work as an independent contractor, and not have to be subject to random drug testing which almost every place of employment give-or at least can give according to the conditions for hirement.)

Reactions: 1 user
So you aspire to be a druggist (pun)?...read a detailed monograph for dronabinol or cesamet & put 2 & 2 together. Reconsider what you are doing, critically look at all the negative aspects vs. what little benefits there are (must be applicable to yourself). What I secretly think to myself about junky syringe buyers: "you are only hurting yourself"

So you aspire to be a druggist (pun)?...read a detailed monograph for dronabinol or cesamet & put 2 & 2 together. Reconsider what you are doing, critically look at all the negative aspects vs. what little benefits there are (must be applicable to yourself). What I secretly think to myself about junky syringe buyers: "you are only hurting yourself"

Reading a dronabinol monograph to learn about what marijuana is doing to your life? Lol. Dronabinol and its monograph is a gross misrepresentation of marijuana... and equating these cannabis users to "junky syringe buyers?" C'mon now seriously..

Also note, the DEA does not recognize any state laws allowing recreational or medical use of marijuana (even though they may not be actively enforcing the federal law in regards to the general public, they will not hesitate to enforce the federal law in regards to a medical professional using marijuana.)

I am curious what you are basing that statement on?

Yes, you're going to be doing lots of misinterpreting apparently. Better yet, go read the drugs of abuse chapter in Goodman & Gilman's; it's one of my favorite chapters. Student, please remind me where your anecdotal experiences lie on that whole Level of evidence chart? (Sarcasm)

I am curious what you are basing that statement on?

I'm extrapolating based on their past heavy-handedness with pharmacists. I can't imagine that they would turn a blind eye if they know that a pharmacist is using marijuana. Or that they would give a DEA license to a combined pharmacy/dispensary.

Reactions: 1 user
In my state, by law any pharmacy job (technician/intern/etc). is required to report their drug test screening results to the State Board of Pharmacy.

Therefore, if you fail a simple piss test at your job, you will have to go speak to the State Board and it will be on your record forever... and you're likely to lose your tech/intern license, and any possibility of being a pharmacist (they will kick you out of school as an intern, so good luck getting a PharmD).

Come to grips that you're not going to continue smoking while in pharmacy school and thereafter until you retire. Or go to colorado and try your luck in school there.