120 Calculations Review for NAPLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enjoy! or not, since we hate calculations, hahaha.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2006 Calc Problem Collection.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 28,350
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy! or not, since we hate calculations, hahaha.

Oh and we do hate the calculations. Ergh... :(

But, thank you for the practice calculations, looks like the will be useful. And, I know I need them!!! :oops:

Thank you for all the informations that was posted here, it's very helpful especially this practice calculations. Really apreciate this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI - It looks like the answer for number 91 is incorrect.

The answer calls for total osmolarity of the IV being administered, rounded to the nearest whole number, per 1000 ml. However, his calculation includes the KCL administered in 15 hours, which isn't from 1000mls. His calculations for D5 and 1/2 NS assume 1000 ml...

His calculations are accurate - but either he should have used the correct number of mls delivered (720ml) for all calculations or done them all assuming 1000ml.

Can anyone else verify?

Yeah you're right. He used 1000 mLs for 0.45% NaCl and D5W. He used 720 mLs for KCl. I think the correct answer should be 80 mOsmols per 1000 mLs for KCl and 512 milliosmoles for the total osmolarity of the IV fluid.

Reactions: 3 users
This document is an extremely good study aid. I used it when studying 2 years ago and passed the exam on my first try. The difficulty of this material is perfect for the exam. Focus on the difficult questions especially % calculations. Also, remember that the LAST 3 questions on your exam could be difficult calculations..budget your time

Hey folks,

Help me out with this one. I'm thinking that these 4 problems are incorrect in that the strength was never doubled. The way I'm seeing it, the problem says the usual drip concentration is 400 mg / 250 ml, so to double it you would have 800 mg / 250 ml or 1600 mg / 500 ml. Please correct me if I'm wrong or or confirm my suspicions.

Anyways, thank you so much for the post. It has helped TREMENDOUSLY!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I was wondering if I can get some input....correct me if I'm wrong please =)... but the answer has it that the molecular weight of Lithium carbonate 74mg=2mmol of lithium.....however, isn't it by definition that 1mole = molecular weight of Li carbonate? In other words, shouldn't the answer be 12.2mmol/day? Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

lithium carbonate is Li2CO3, so there are two electrical parts aka +2 valence.

although i dont know what the whole question is so im not positive that is your answer, but i did have a question like that in my prontopass stack.

I can't imagine there would be any math questions on anyones NAPLEX that are as hard as some of the more difficult problems (like the Li+ question) in this handout. I think I got every math question right on my test and all of the problems were straightforward, 1 or 2 steps. IOW, this handout is overkill, which makes it a good prep tool.

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't got my results yet but finished more than half these math problems while stuyding. I'd say this is a must-do practice and will definitely help for the exam.

Hey folks,

Help me out with this one. I'm thinking that these 4 problems are incorrect in that the strength was never doubled. The way I'm seeing it, the problem says the usual drip concentration is 400 mg / 250 ml, so to double it you would have 800 mg / 250 ml or 1600 mg / 500 ml. Please correct me if I'm wrong or or confirm my suspicions.

Anyways, thank you so much for the post. It has helped TREMENDOUSLY!!

Might be a bit late to change anything, but the answer to number 101 is incorrect! Anyone else find any errors?

hello I am preparing for naplex and still not passing it.Taken the test twice.I need some suggestions from students who hav epassed naplex.My test is in Jan.Please help.

Update: I passed the NAPLEX and I thought the SDN 120 calculations were a great help on the NAPLEX. If you can do these problems, you will do well on the NAPLEX calculation. They count calculation problems more on the NAPLEX so make sure you know how to do them.

I also found these sources to be a great help:

Ebay pharmacy charts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Editio...3?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item3ccde1ea77

Rxprep: http://www.rxprep.com

More calculation problems: http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/hisham/Documents/eBooks/Pharmaceutical and Clinical Calculations ed 2.PDF

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Code:
   0.7x mL         1
-------------- = ------
 1015 mL + x mL    10

1015 mL + x mL = 7x mL
1015 mL = 6x mL
169.17 mL = x
If the calculations on the NAPLEX are this level, should be a breeze. I went through all the questions and checked my answers after I was done in about 3 hours. I was an engineering major before pharmacy school, so I rather enjoy the number crunching.

Hey guys, on the exam, will they give us all the valences and MWs we need (unlike in the packet)?

Also, I saw someone saying that we will not be given any formulas at all. But what about BSA? Will that be given?

And someone said to know titrations well but I don't think I saw any titrations in the packet? ._.

You won't be given any valences or any formulas. However, they will give you MWs!