124 CARS, am I out of the running?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeGibbs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently re-took the MCAT for the 3rd time, and got a 511 (128/124/129/130). My previous scores were 494 (122/122/125/125) taken on (07/17) and 510 (127/125/130/128) taken (01/19).

I retook because of my first low CARs score on my 2nd retake. Having exhausted AAMC material in my 2nd retake, I used 3rd party CARS practice. I kept seeing improvements in 3rd party exams, and I was hitting 127/128 in CARS. Unfortunately i fell short on test day, and did even worse. Am I screwed?

School List:

VCU
GW
UIowa (In-state)
Loyola
UWisc
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson

Any additions to the school list would great too. @Goro @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't have any expert advice to give but I just wanted to say I sympathize with your frustration with CARs. I personally did okay on the offical exam but, IMO, I got lucky. I know a couple of people that 100%tiled all sections but 124-125 in CARs.

I'm sure someone will be able to offer some solid advice moving forward. Good luck, I wish you well!

I was accepted with 131/125/130/126 (509) at 2 state schools. I think your scores are adequate for state schools, despite low CARS- if your story is compelling enough etc. I think schools should give you a chance- you got 125 before and 510/511 are obvious you are smart enough for school. it does look weird you actually stayed about the same in score

i say go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply. Don’t take the MCAT for a fourth time unless you’re getting over a 516

Apply. Why did you retake 510? Is your gpa low?

Reactions: 1 user
I recently re-took the MCAT for the 3rd time, and got a 511 (128/124/129/130). My previous scores were 494 (122/122/125/125) taken on (07/17) and 510 (127/125/130/128) taken (01/19).

I retook because of my first low CARs score on my 2nd retake. Having exhausted AAMC material in my 2nd retake, I used 3rd party CARS practice. I kept seeing improvements in 3rd party exams, and I was hitting 127/128 in CARS. Unfortunately i fell short on test day, and did even worse. Am I screwed?

School List:

VCU
GW
UIowa (In-state)
Loyola
UWisc
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson

Any additions to the school list would great too. @Goro @gonnif
Why did you retake a perfectly good 510 score?????

Your scores will most likely be averaged anyway.

CARS gets cut the most slack.

U WI will be donation. Chances are great at U IA.

Reactions: 1 users
Yikes. Misread. You shouldn’t have retaken a 510! Anyway, just apply. Don’t take it a FOURTH time

Reactions: 1 user

I wonder how some people get a 132 on CARS! Like damn

Reactions: 1 users

I was originally wanting to do MD/PhD, and have thousands of hours of research. Some programs said a 510 was fine, but recommended a retake because of 125 CARS and to be within 515+ ranges in order to satisfy the MD committee reqmnts. I showed improving progress in CARS, and if i could even get into 127/128 I'd be competitive for MD/PhD. I bit the bullet, and it blew up in my face.

Apply. Why did you retake 510? Is your gpa low?

Gpa is relatively fine 3.74 cgpa and 3.75 sgpa. I wanted to get a better score for MD/PhD, because some schools recommended at least 125+ CARS to not be screened out.