This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canijust

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your GPA, trying to apply during your SMP will both be ineffecient and a waste of money. You will only benefit from one semester's worth of grades, which will only come out at the end of december.

I know few people that got in during their first year, but most of them got interviews during their first semester so it is possible that they had a strong application to begin with.

Hi guys,

I'm applying to SMP programs and hope to finish it in one year. I want to apply to medical schools in June 2018 before I start the SMP so that I can go straight into medical school when my SMP ends. Would medical schools screen me for my low gpa (3.38 cgpa, 3.28 sgpa), though? How have people done this in the past? I'll send the medical schools I apply to all my grades from the SMP, but I'm worried they might not get to see them.

Also, is it much more beneficial to have grades from the entire year of SMP when I apply? For example, will it help me that much more if I send both Fall and Spring SMP grades to medical schools and apply a year later?

Any advice helps, thanks!
If your application transcript will demonstrate a year or more of excellent, full-time undergrad grades (including science), then it might be reasonable to apply when you're beginning the SMP. If that won't be true, then best to wait until all your SMP is completed before applying to med schools.

The above advice assumes your ECs are substantial and balanced, without any holes that need to be filled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'm applying to SMP programs and hope to finish it in one year. I want to apply to medical schools in June 2018 before I start the SMP so that I can go straight into medical school when my SMP ends. Would medical schools screen me for my low gpa (3.38 cgpa, 3.28 sgpa), though? How have people done this in the past? I'll send the medical schools I apply to all my grades from the SMP, but I'm worried they might not get to see them.

Also, is it much more beneficial to have grades from the entire year of SMP when I apply? For example, will it help me that much more if I send both Fall and Spring SMP grades to medical schools and apply a year later?

Any advice helps, thanks!
Some schools will. They have tons of applicants who made it through pre-med with high grades. They can afford to turn away reinventors.

That said, there are MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. I've posted previously as to who they are.

Apply when you have the best possible app. It's OK to apply in July and August.

Unless time is a big issue, I would complete the SMP and then apply. When I was completing my SMP, the medical school to which it was affiliated informed us that for those who applied DURING the program would not even be considered until the first semester's grades were released - essentially the end of December. Extrapolating from that, I'm sure that many other medical schools would likely do the same, and wait to see your first semester's grades. This leaves you as a sort-of "late applicant" even with applying early. That's great if you apply in June, but if a school isn't to look at your application until December, you aren't getting the benefits of applying early!