12th Annual Exotics Symposium at UTK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Psorophoraferox

LSU SVM c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Registration is open today! Who's going? I am excited to be attending as a veterinary student this time, and not (as Dr. Suedmeyer would say) a random person off the street. 😉

"The 12th Annual Exotics Symposium will be held at the University of Tennessee's College of Veterinary Medicine on January 11th and 12th, 2014, and will feature speakers with experience in zoo, wildlife, marine, avian, reptile, camelid, and small mammal medicine and pathology.

There will be many wet labs including but not limited to a 'dry' darting lab, exotic animal necropsy, camelid handling, and trips to the Knoxville Zoo, and Tiger Haven.

Registration is open now through Monday, December 2nd, 2013."

http://www.vet.utk.edu/exoticssymposium
 
So, how many "random people off the street" end up going? I totally would...not sure how realistic it is though.
 
This looks awesome! I was reading all of the speaker bios and teared up a little bit. So many veterinarians living the dream...I love to see how many paths can be taken in vet med and all the places one could end up. Very inspiring for me as someone who wants to go into epidemiology/wildlife/conservation medicine someday. 😍

Very jealous of those people who get to attend. Maybe (hopefully) in the not-too-distant future I'll get to go. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, how many "random people off the street" end up going? I totally would...not sure how realistic it is though.

The past two years, from what I could tell it's been mostly vet students, some vets (not including the speakers), a few vet techs, and a few pre-vets/other interested parties. As a pre-vet I really enjoyed being able to talk to people from different places about the exotics opportunities they had at their schools. 👍
 
The past two years, from what I could tell it's been mostly vet students, some vets (not including the speakers), a few vet techs, and a few pre-vets/other interested parties. As a pre-vet I really enjoyed being able to talk to people from different places about the exotics opportunities they had at their schools. 👍

I work as an unlicensed tech and I'm pre-vet...so I guess I wouldn't feel out of place if I tried to go? Sounds great!
 
I know one of the speakers! We spent a summer together working in the same research lab. She was an upcoming 4th yr and I was an upcoming wee sophomore undergrad. So cool to see her on the list.
 
You all should come! We could have a mini SDN meetup! It's gonna be amazing, so make the time to come.

Plus, I'm here. It is a win-win for all involved.
 
You all should come! We could have a mini SDN meetup! It's gonna be amazing, so make the time to come.

Plus, I'm here. It is a win-win for all involved.

Yes! That would be awesome. If I can swing airfare from WA, then I'm going to do it.

As an aside: is there anyone who would be looking for someone to share a room with for that fri/sat night? I'm not a creep. 😛
 
Last edited:
I'll try to go! The new semester will just have started, so we shouldn't have any big exams then. I'm sure my best friend would be willing to join me.
This looks interesting! I would be down to carpool with anyone from Alabama.
Depending on if the exotic animal medicine club from my school decides to go, I may be willing to meet up with you to carpool.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bumpity bump!

Anyone else decide to go? I'm driving up with 7 or 8 other students from my school, mostly other first-years.

We should definitely have a mini SDN meetup. 🙂
 
Bumpity bump!

Anyone else decide to go? I'm driving up with 7 or 8 other students from my school, mostly other first-years.

We should definitely have a mini SDN meetup. 🙂

I'll be there! Only a couple other students from my school are going to be there - six or so I think. Super excited, hope they have a finalized schedule when we get there, though. :laugh:
 
Last edited:
I decided not to go. It's a little too much for now, but I have a few classmates going. I am, however, going to the CDC veterinary student day.
 
Ok friends who are going! If you want my contact info, PM me!

Also, I'll be working at the vet school until 8 pm tomorrow night if you get in tomorrow and want to hang!