**Official MOSDOH Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX3901

Reaction score
Hey all! I decided to start up the Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health Class of 2023 thread. Feel free to post any updates, questions, or information you have about the school here. Good luck!!

Here is a link to last years thread: **Official MOSDOH Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Link to interview prep: A. T. Still University - Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t received an interview invite via email, but on my account for MOSDOH there’s an “interview” tab. When I select it there is a message saying congratulations again on receiving an interview, and the ability to select an interview date. Is this showing up for everyone?

not showing up for me. i think you're good. i would schedule it asap if i was you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t received an interview invite via email, but on my account for MOSDOH there’s an “interview” tab. When I select it there is a message saying congratulations again on receiving an interview, and the ability to select an interview date. Is this showing up for everyone?
What day did you schedule it for mines on the 20th of September!!

See you there! Yes, September 20th was the only option and I could select morning or afternoon!
Congrats! If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats and state of residency?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats and state of residency?
Thank you! 3.83 GPA, 3.79 sGPA, 21 PAT, 19 AA, 19 TS, Arkansas resident

how long after you submitted your application did it take to get an interview?

Interview #1!!!
Residency: KS
cgpa, sgpa: 3.4 3.2
AA/TS/PAT/RC/Anything under 17: 21/21/23/18/QR 16
Date Submitted: Sometime in June
Interview: Sep 20 pm session

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!

When did your application go to review, do you know?
Thanks!

Thank you!! I received an email from them on Aug. 8th saying my app was complete and ready for review!

Ya th
The earliest date available for me was October 18th... I thought that was a little far out?
Ya I could be wrong but I think Sep 20th is their first interview sessions, which also seems really far out. I guess it means more time to prepare!

i chose not to either but idk seems like it would be helpful

Yea it does. I’m in a dilemma as of right now. There are no plane tickets going to Kirksville for my interview date. I’ve checked 2 surrounding air ports

Try flying to kansas city then take an uber or something?

That’s a 3 hour Uber ride lol. If it came down to it then I guess I’ll have to, but hopefully I can find another option.
For MOSDOH, if you fly into St. louis, you can use CapeAir to fly from St. Louis into kirksville if the timing works out. The flight from St. Louis to Kirksville is usually about $40 one way.

Hi friends! D1 here. Congrats on your interviews!

I noticed some of you were talking about whether or not to stay with a student. I personally believe that it doesn’t hurt to stay with a student because you can get to know more about the school and the life of a dental student. I didn’t chose the option to stay with a student on the interview sign up, but knew a couple students so I set it up on my own and mooched a couch so I could stay in town a little longer and get a good feel for things.

Interviews are relaxed. I had an afternoon interview so it started with a lunch. Not how I would have preferred to begin, but I was just happy as hell to have an interview. If I could have chosen, I’da picked a morning interview so I wouldn’t have to show people how picky of an eater I am right away :dead:. You do you.

You’ll be given a sheet that tells you a little something about each of your interviewers. Basically to give you ideas on how you can connect with them or just to remind you that they’re also humans lol. Read it and use it to your advantage. You’ll have a two on one interview (one admissions team member and one professor) the professor can be from saint Louis (via skype) or kirksvillle. You’ll also have a one on one interview. That’s you sitting down with an admissions counselor. Remember that that is still an interview! My favorite part was the group interview. Where you and the other interviewees work together to discuss a problem and then present it. The key to this is finding balance. Dont be overpowering and dont be too quiet. Be sure to ask each other what they thing and really really work together. I worked really well with one of the other interviewees and we both got in!

If you have any bad grades (I had plenty #organic) be prepared to be asked about it. OWN UP TO IT. Show them you learned from it and have become a stronger, smarter student. My FIRST interview question was “What happpend with chemistry”
Dont let it shake you. Your grades do not define how amazing you are. Repeat. YOUR GRADES DO NOT DEFINE HOW AMAZING YOU ARE. Show them!!

They also have no idea what you went through. Did you have three jobs? Did your grandma die? Did you have to take care of a special needs family member? Did you just have trouble seeing how it was relevant to dentistry? What steps did you take to overcome those struggles and how are you better?
Side note: they DO actually read your application, so they do know if you have multiple jobs. It certainly doesn’t hurt to remind them though. Proof that they read applications: I got asked if people in my chem frat actually refer to each other as “brothers” He said he had to look back and make sure my application said female because I wrote “I am a brother of Alpha Chi Sigma”

Final bit of advice is to have tons of questions prepared in your mind and written down(you will blank out) and they will be hella impressed when you pull out a list of things you wanna know.

I hope this makes y’all feel a tiny bit less nervous!

Reactions: 3 users
For MOSDOH, if you fly into St. louis, you can use CapeAir to fly from St. Louis into kirksville if the timing works out. The flight from St. Louis to Kirksville is usually about $40 one way.
There’s no Uber for kirksville. Cape air is your best option. Unless really tiny plane freak you out hahaha then rent a car and make the boring drive

Do y'all know how long it takes before they start reviewing your app? I submitted everything on August 7 and haven't heard anything back. Should I hold out or email to confirm they have everything?

Do y'all know how long it takes before they start reviewing your app? I submitted everything on August 7 and haven't heard anything back. Should I hold out or email to confirm they have everything?
Did you receive an email telling you that your application was complete and ready for review? (And, have you completed their secondary?)

Did you receive an email telling you that your application was complete and ready for review? (And, have you completed their secondary?)
Yeah I received those emails! But I haven't heard anything since. They said to allow a minimum of two weeks after completion before contacting, so should I contact now?

Yeah I received those emails! But I haven't heard anything since. They said to allow a minimum of two weeks after completion before contacting, so should I contact now?
They are ones who do state you can call them if you have any questions (and they give you their phone#), so you could call and just ask for an update on the status of your application. They'll probably tell you it's still under review, but it'll be a contact you've made with them :)

I interviewed here last week! It was very laid back, but there was no group activity like past threads had said there would be. Just 2 1on1 interviews. Just a heads up!

So for those of you interviewing on october 18th oos- what are you doing about the 3 hr car ride from the airport/ tiny plane. Really struggling to find a way of getting there. Thank you!!

Hi friends! D1 here. Congrats on your interviews!

I noticed some of you were talking about whether or not to stay with a student. I personally believe that it doesn’t hurt to stay with a student because you can get to know more about the school and the life of a dental student. I didn’t chose the option to stay with a student on the interview sign up, but knew a couple students so I set it up on my own and mooched a couch so I could stay in town a little longer and get a good feel for things.

Interviews are relaxed. I had an afternoon interview so it started with a lunch. Not how I would have preferred to begin, but I was just happy as hell to have an interview. If I could have chosen, I’da picked a morning interview so I wouldn’t have to show people how picky of an eater I am right away :dead:. You do you.

You’ll be given a sheet that tells you a little something about each of your interviewers. Basically to give you ideas on how you can connect with them or just to remind you that they’re also humans lol. Read it and use it to your advantage. You’ll have a two on one interview (one admissions team member and one professor) the professor can be from saint Louis (via skype) or kirksvillle. You’ll also have a one on one interview. That’s you sitting down with an admissions counselor. Remember that that is still an interview! My favorite part was the group interview. Where you and the other interviewees work together to discuss a problem and then present it. The key to this is finding balance. Dont be overpowering and dont be too quiet. Be sure to ask each other what they thing and really really work together. I worked really well with one of the other interviewees and we both got in!

If you have any bad grades (I had plenty #organic) be prepared to be asked about it. OWN UP TO IT. Show them you learned from it and have become a stronger, smarter student. My FIRST interview question was “What happpend with chemistry”
Dont let it shake you. Your grades do not define how amazing you are. Repeat. YOUR GRADES DO NOT DEFINE HOW AMAZING YOU ARE. Show them!!

They also have no idea what you went through. Did you have three jobs? Did your grandma die? Did you have to take care of a special needs family member? Did you just have trouble seeing how it was relevant to dentistry? What steps did you take to overcome those struggles and how are you better?
Side note: they DO actually read your application, so they do know if you have multiple jobs. It certainly doesn’t hurt to remind them though. Proof that they read applications: I got asked if people in my chem frat actually refer to each other as “brothers” He said he had to look back and make sure my application said female because I wrote “I am a brother of Alpha Chi Sigma”

Final bit of advice is to have tons of questions prepared in your mind and written down(you will blank out) and they will be hella impressed when you pull out a list of things you wanna know.

I hope this makes y’all feel a tiny bit less nervous!

Do you mind me asking your stats? I am right at or little below average but local. Do you know if the committee gives any type of preference to hometown applicants? How many Mo. people apply vs. get accepted? I'm holding on to this helping since my stats are a little below average. I'm still getting my undergrad but not wanting to take time off.
Do you know any recent stats of current accepted applicants? How long does it take for application review before hearing back?

Do you mind me asking your stats? I am right at or little below average but local. Do you know if the committee gives any type of preference to hometown applicants? How many Mo. people apply vs. get accepted? I'm holding on to this helping since my stats are a little below average. I'm still getting my undergrad but not wanting to take time off.
Do you know any recent stats of current accepted applicants? How long does it take for application review before hearing back?
According to ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, MOSDOH does not show preference to in state residents (also MO resident). Last cycle the ADEA book shows that 102 MO residents applied last year and 31 were interviewed and 12 enrolled in the class. The book also shows 19 AA as the mean DAT score and 3.45 overall as average GPA and 3.32 as average science GPA. Hopefully this helps you out!

According to ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, MOSDOH does not show preference to in state residents (also MO resident). Last cycle the ADEA book shows that 102 MO residents applied last year and 31 were interviewed and 12 enrolled in the class. The book also shows 19 AA as the mean DAT score and 3.45 overall as average GPA and 3.32 as average science GPA. Hopefully this helps you out!

Those books are always a year off because student can be accepted up until orientation week in July. How are they supposed to send out stats to be published so quickly? They’re still decently accurate. I lived by my ASDA “getting into dental school” book. If you aren’t an ASDA pre-dental member you should be! (This is ASDA pre-dental month)

Class of 2022 has 7 Missouri students. We have 42 students in our class. Keep in mind that class of 2023 will have 63 students.

More stats from class of 2022:
over 1200 applications
140 interviews
avg age is 24. Youngest is 21. Oldest is 34.
Science GPA avg is 3.35.
Cumulative GPA is 3.44
DAT avg is 18.83
PAT avg is 19.64

@146kps, I was a hometown scholar applicant. I certainly don’t think it will hurt your application since that’s a bonus letter of recommendation that they have to read. Personally, I had really low stats. Like REAL low.. 18 DAT and didn’t even have a 3.0 GPA when I first submitted the app, BUT I updated my application when my summer grades were finalized and updated again over winter break to show fall grades. I also kept updating my work, shadow, and volunteer hours every couple of weeks. I wanted them to know that I was all in and that I was not going to be a lazy pre-dent just because I hit submit. I knew it was a long shot to apply with my far from average stats. I had to show them just how much effort I was willing to put in.
The waiting process is hell on your emotions. Pretty much broke down every time family members or a patient asked if I got an interview yet. I didn’t get an interview until March 1st. Got accepted March 11th.

If you live in Missouri or a nearby state, I highly suggest attending events (DMD for a day, Asda presentation day, workshops, etc) on campus whether it be Kirksville or STL. You will get to know staff and students which makes you a billion times less nervous when you finally get that interview you’ve been dying for

Reactions: 2 users
Those books are always a year off because student can be accepted up until orientation week in July. How are they supposed to send out stats to be published so quickly? They’re still decently accurate. I lived by my ASDA “getting into dental school” book. If you aren’t an ASDA pre-dental member you should be! (This is ASDA pre-dental month)

Class of 2022 has 7 Missouri students. We have 42 students in our class. Keep in mind that class of 2023 will have 63 students.

over 1200 applications
140 interviews
Science GPA avg is 3.35.
Cumulative GPA is 3.44
DAT avg is 18.83
PAT avg is 19.64

@146kps, I was a hometown scholar applicant. I certainly don’t think it will hurt your application since that’s a bonus letter of recommendation that they have to read. Personally, I had really low stats. Like REAL low.. 18 DAT and didn’t even have a 3.0 GPA when I first submitted the app, BUT I updated my application when my summer grades were finalized and updated again over winter break to show fall grades. I also kept updating my work, shadow, and volunteer hours every couple of weeks. I wanted them to know that I was all in and that I was not going to be a lazy pre-dent just because I hit submit. I knew it was a long shot to apply with my far from average stats. I had to show them just how much effort I was willing to put in.
The waiting process is hell on your emotions. Pretty much broke down every time family members or a patient asked if I got an interview yet. I didn’t get an interview until March 1st. Got accepted March 11th.

If you live in Missouri or a nearby state, I highly suggest attending events (DMD for a day, Asda presentation day, workshops, etc) on campus whether it be Kirksville or STL. You will get to know staff and students which makes you a billion times less nervous when you finally get that interview you’ve been dying for

Thank you for the reassurance! With your lower than average stats, are you finding coursework difficult? I will join ASDA and look into the book. I have attended the DMD for a day and volunteered at MOMOM. Should I attend the Oct. 30 one also?

over 1200 applications
140 interviews
Science GPA avg is 3.35.
Cumulative GPA is 3.44
DAT avg is 18.83
PAT avg is 19.64

It's been 1 week since Ii received that my application was complete. Is this late? I submitted in June but secondary on hold until new Sept DAT scores updated.

ASDA will send you the book once you become a pre-dental member and you’ll get a new one each year.
It’s great that you’ve been to DMD for a day already and came to momom. I went to 2 DMD for a days. You’ll get to do something knew at each once since you sit in on classes and classes change so quickly here.

I do find the curriculum hard, but I don’t think that’s just because of my low stats. It’s just hard to shove 400+ slides of info in your brain and throw it up on the exam the next day. Class of 2023 will have slightly different curriculum becaus the boards have changed. My class is the last one that gets to take part I boards summer of first year. Y’all will take the integrated boards D3 year. This means they have to spread science material out over those years. You’ll probably get into sim clinic earlier because of that too.

Don’t worry about it being late. It’s def not. The admissions committee is super busy this time of year. I was told that schools dont get your dat scores until 3-6 weeks after you take it. ATSU is very strict about not looking at applications until the DAT score gets to them

Interview #3
School:
AT-MOSDOH
Notification date: 10/09/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
AADSAS mail-out date: 9/14/18
Application complete date: 9/18/18
Secondary complete date 9/21
GPA (science, overall):
3.04, 3.18 / 4.0 Graduate Bio MS
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/18/20/ None
Interview date:
November 1

Last edited:

over 1200 applications
140 interviews
Science GPA avg is 3.35.
Cumulative GPA is 3.44
DAT avg is 18.83
PAT avg is 19.64

Thank you for the information. I have a couple more questions. Were you an undergrad senior when you applied or did you take a year off? Are there certain times you can update your application on hours and grades? Do certain undergrad universities rank higher than others or is that even a consideration?
Who wrote your hometown scholar application and were you from Mo.?

Thank you for the information. I have a couple more questions. Were you an undergrad senior when you applied or did you take a year off? Are there certain times you can update your application on hours and grades? Do certain undergrad universities rank higher than others or is that even a consideration?
Who wrote your hometown scholar application and were you from Mo.?

Yes I was a hometown scholar and I am from Missouri. Undergrad university doesn’t matter as long as you were involved on your campus and didn’t fail out of too many classes. You are the most important part of your application. Not your university, your residency, your grades, or your GPA.

I was an undergrad senior. My ASDOH interview was in November and my MOSDOH interview was in March. I was preparing to enroll in post bac and retake the DAT when life changed. I forget if there were rules for updates or not. I called the ADEA number every time I had a question and they were super helpful. I want to say it was Mid November for the first academic update

Hello everyone, sorry if this is a dumb question. My interview is on thursday afternoon session. I have an exam on wed that I cannot miss so I would have to catch a flight super early thursday. Cape air estimate time of arrival is 11:25 AM. Interview is 11:45 AM. Realistically can I make it off the plane, catch an uber and get to the school. Thank you for your help. I really want this interview but I have "guested" in too many classes for my professor to give me any chances. Any advice is appreciated on what I should do. Thanks again!

Hello everyone, sorry if this is a dumb question. My interview is on thursday afternoon session. I have an exam on wed that I cannot miss so I would have to catch a flight super early thursday. Cape air estimate time of arrival is 11:25 AM. Interview is 11:45 AM. Realistically can I make it off the plane, catch an uber and get to the school. Thank you for your help. I really want this interview but I have "guested" in too many classes for my professor to give me any chances. Any advice is appreciated on what I should do. Thanks again!
When is your interview? I'm interviewing Thursday, November 1st, my sister lives in St. Louis so I'll fly into St. Louis on Wed, she will lend me her car and I'll drive to Kirksville like at 6:30 - 7 AM Thurs so I can catch the interview. I didn't trust cape air with the interview so close to the arrival time. If you need a ride from St. Louis PM me I'll be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.