This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leggo my echo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdasdas

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm a M4 gunning Cardiology in a MD school. I have a research elective block coming up for my 4th year and I am hoping to make the best use in making my application stronger for comes cardiology application.

Currently I have 4 published publications + 2 pending with most of it in cardiology (some 1st author).
I found this young PI who is an associate director of CICU at my school, super interesting research and productive. But if I wanted to play the "research game" given that I have already published (and therefore show I can do research), is it wiser to do research with probably less productive, older and more influential figure in my department?

I would really appreciate input in what you guys recommend in terms of what I should look for not specifically for research sake but to get IN to a cardiology program.

Thanks!

Gunners gonna gun, gun, gun, gun, gun
And haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate

In all seriousness, you have a number of publications already, so you should do research in a topic you are interested in and seek out mentors who you identify with and who take an interest in advancing your career. Some of the first questions interviewers ask about research are "describe your role in this project" or "why did you get involved in this specific project." If you give a passionate (and hopefully truthful) answer, that will serve you much better than having multiple publications in meh projects that you don't care much about.

It’s a little concerning that this is how you view the career path this early on. Whether he “pulls weight” or not is pretty irrelevant especially as a medical student. You should do something because you enjoy it and are passionate, not because a potential mentor pulls weight or not. I think PDs can spot that from a mile away.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a little concerning that this is how you view the career path this early on. Whether he “pulls weight” or not is pretty irrelevant especially as a medical student. You should do something because you enjoy it and are passionate, not because a potential mentor pulls weight or not. I think PDs can spot that from a mile away.

There are many people who enjoy clinical medicine and find research to be a dull waste of their time. I would even be so bold to venture to say the majority of applicants probably feel that way. Not everyone is “passionate” about the research but we ALL know you need it to get into fellowship. Let’s get real

Thanks for the suggestion!
Yea seeking mentor is what I'm focused on as well since I already have research so doing research just to pad my resume doesn't seem to make sense to me. But I guess my question is what makes for a good mentor?

I met the young PI, he is super nice, very accomplished for his age but he is a VERY new staff. Although he is an associate director of CICU i doubt he sits on the selection committee and I dont know if he 'pulls weight' in getting people in. With all that said, my gut feeling says I will fit with him well, that he seems passionate about teaching/mentoring and his research interests me.

I guess I'm just worried that maybe I'm foolish and that in the end, cardiology being a smaller program and given the importance of who knows who, maybe I'm not doing myself a favour by not seeking out mentoring from a fellowship program head for example or someone who other people will know more.

A good mentor is (in descending order of importance, imo):
1. Available
2. Productive
3. You fit well with

As a bonus, a good mentor understands the responsibilities and time commitments (or lack thereof) of trainees and will work with you to tackle projects that are feasible. The young PI sounds like a good mentor from our description. Always trust your gut.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.