This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gold42

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will start by saying that YES, you can do it. Do not get caught up in thinking that because you are in "masters" level classes for an MPH and scored a 3.9 that the prereqs are going to be similar.

I had a 1.9 at my worst. Got up to a 3.1 with retakes and knocked down to a 2.4 when grade replacement was removed from DO schools. Still found a way in after 7 cumulative years of undergrad.

How badly do you want it?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been interested in medicine since high school and graduated in the top 10% of my class. I went in to college pre med and by the end of my first semester (after making a C in gen chem) I realized that maybe I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. I continued to take some pre med classes despite making Cs in them. Finally after my sophomore year I switched to a public health major. Unfortunately the damage was done and I graduated with a 2.89 GPA. Yikes. I had volunteer experience while in college working at the Boys and Girls Club and also played an NCAA sport (which took up a lot of my studying time).
After failing miserably at my goal of becoming a doctor I seriously re evaluated my time in undergrad and realized I did not put half the effort in studying for my classes as I told myself I did. I think I never truly learned how to study in high school and just got by. After this realization I decided to go to grad school and pursue a Masters in Public Health where I graduated with a 3.9 GPA (1 B) and had multiple research projects. During this time I worked for two years as a scribe and fell back in love with medicine. I decided to go back to school to get all of my pre reqs and retake the classes I did poorly in. I have not yet started these classes but I am so looking forward to it.
However, the only thing I can think of is if I am truly smart enough to get in and succeed in medical school if I couldn't even do well in the basics. I have had multiple admissions counselors tell me that I have a chance if I do well on my pre reqs and mcat but I still have that nagging feeling that I am not good enough.
You go back and you retake all the basics, and ace them

That will tell you (and us) if you can handle med school.

read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.