This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sm96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you can maintain composure when explaining yourself I don't see why not. In my interviews when I'm asked heavyweight questions I give honest, heavyweight answers.

Perhaps adcoms see it differently?

It could certainly work -- Though I'm hard-pressed to see how coming out could actually be a failure. (Maybe that's my liberal bias showing.) I guess I can see how you might have been made to feel like a failure, but then the 'disappointment' part would be (to the person being disappointed) your being gay, not your admitting to it. So you might have to do a bit of spin to make it fit.

Mostly, I hope you do not feel like your being gay is a failure. If you do, please try to re-orient your thinking. (hugs)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Were your relationships wrecked because you handled it poorly, or because they're homophones? [edit: I'm leaving it.]

Only talk about it as a failure if you really effed it up. If you didn't screw the pooch, find a time that you did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Were your relationships wrecked because you handled it poorly, or because they're homophones?

Only talk about it as a failure if you really effed it up. If you didn't screw the pooch, find a time that you did.

Those damn homophones. Always sounding like one thing but meaning another.

Reactions: 4 users
Please keep in mind that this question also gets at your ability to reflect, identify your short-comings, and describe how you have addressed a situation where you fell short of the mark.

Think about what you did poorly, what you learned, and how you would do it differently next time. Is this event you described an example of something you did poorly? If you faced a similar situation in the future, how would you do it differently having learned from your "failure"? If the story of your coming out doesn't fit as an example of a time you failed, you should reflect on your life and find a better example of something you did poorly and would do differently next time based on what you have learned.

Reactions: 2 users
I would like to echo what @DokterMom and @cj_cregg said and say this was not a failure on your part. However, if you felt and still feel like this was a failure, maybe the "failure" is that you didn't quite gauge how seriously this would have affected your relationship with your parents or that you should have better prepared for a multitude of scenarios after your coming out. Again, I want to reiterate that I do not believe this was your personal failure, but I can completely understand how you would feel that way.

I think it's great that you began advocacy work as a result of this. My guess is that you're probably great at counseling others who are ready to come out to their families because of your own experience and I think that's something you can and should highlight in your interviews. You can even stretch your experience further to say that you'll be much better prepared at sharing difficult news with patients when you start rotations and beyond. You'll also be more compassionate/empathetic to patients who are having a hard time in life.

Reactions: 1 user