This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolwoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that varies based on the school and your tolerance of Christianity

Reactions: 3 users
I think that varies based on the school and your tolerance of Christianity
[/QUOTE
Would you mind giving me examples of the schools? I am a Jewish applicant, but I really love a lot of the more Christian DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
The significance depends on the school. Not every institution integrates religion to the same degree. You'd probably do well to avoid LUCOM as a non-Christian, though

Reactions: 1 user
Campbell makes no apologies about being part of a christian university but they don’t at all require anyone to be a christian to attend. Almost all the major events will have a prayer at some point offered you get to live your own life on your own time.

As long as you aren’t offended by occasionally hearing someone be a christian on the mic you will be fine

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed at three Christianity-affiliated schools:

CUSOM: An interviewer (who seemed extremely open about being a Christian conservative) directly asked me what my faith/spiritual background was. I told him my religious background (which happens to not be Christian), and he abruptly changed the subject. Looking back, it was probably illegal for him to ask me that. It gave me a bad impression of the school. N=1, though.

UIWSOM: A man came in at the start of interview day and led a brief prayer. That was the full extent of the religious stuff on interview day. The students said it’s a pretty secular medical school experience, except for occasional prayers.

Marian: The admissions head told us, “There’s no such thing as ‘Catholic medicine’” and that religion wouldn’t play any role in the medical education. The students said the religious stuff is pretty much absent from the curriculum and experience.

(I also had an interview with LUCOM, but I withdrew after receiving my first acceptance. From what I’ve heard, LUCOM is housed at a deeply religious institution. You should probably try to avoid going there if you’re not a fundamentalist Christian.)

If you’re Jewish, then maybe consider the Touro schools. Touro is affiliated with Judaism, so students at Touro schools get Jewish holidays off, kosher food, etc.

Reactions: 6 users
LUCOM is separate from its parent institution, but unapologetically Christian. There are students from all types of religious backgrounds going there, from devout Christianity to zero religion whatsoever. They only ask that you respect Christian views.

LUCOM is separate from its parent institution, but unapologetically Christian. There are students from all types of religious backgrounds going there, from devout Christianity to zero religion whatsoever. They only ask that you respect Christian views.

If by "respect Christian views" you mean "conform to fundamentalist Christian views", sure. For example, LUCOM code of conduct states that "encouragement or advocacy of sexual behaviors which undermine Christian identity or Liberty Universities faith mission are defined by the University as morally inappropriate misconduct and constitute violations..." According to the larger university,"morally inappropriate misconduct" includes same-sex relationships. If you're a non-Christian student who doesn't mind having your own personal beliefs forcibly aligned with conservative Christian ones, perhaps this could be a good option for you. Otherwise, I would recommend against it.

(This is NOT the norm for most Christian-affiliated medical schools in the US)

https://www.liberty.edu/media/1290/...-Computing-Social Media Policies-11212014.pdf
Full text of "The Liberty Way - Liberty University" (Actual text of larger LU CoC is hidden behind a login)

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
My PS states I’m part of the LGBTQ community. Which schools should I absolutely avoid?

If you actively hate Christianity and will be twisted inside to be reminded at all that it exists and people believe in it, avoid all. Otherwise you will get along anywhere except maybe the Falwell Liberty University.

how are the touro schools?

CA and NV are great. Middletown is new but doing OK. Harlem is a slightly iffy but not a bad option if you prefer a very urban setting. (I’m probably heading to Touro-Middletown in the fall, primarily for geographic reasons.)

CA and NV are great. Middletown is new but doing OK. Harlem is a slightly iffy but not a bad option if you prefer a very urban setting. (I’m probably heading to Touro-Middletown in the fall, primarily for geographic reasons.)

(not really a direct reply to you, Osteoblast, more in general)

I would admittedly recommend against TouroNY. Middletown - a brand new school - is already outperforming NY on board exams. NY has a long history of being below average on all board exams despite having a solid matriculant class year over year. This is not a good sign.

This is among other reasons that you could easily find with a quick search on the forums.

I would admittedly recommend against TouroNY. Middletown - a brand new school - is already outperforming NY on board exams. NY has a long history of being below average on all board exams despite having a solid matriculant class year over year. This is not a good sign.

This is among other reasons that you could easily find with a quick search on the forums.

Just to be clear, Middletown and Harlem are both Touro-NY, just different campuses. I’m guessing you mean Touro-Harlem when you say “Touro-NY.”

Both NY campuses have not-great board scores, unfortunately; both are performing below the national average on most board exams when it comes to first-time pass rates. At the same time, some individual students are able to succeed there and get into competitive residencies in orthopedic surgery, ENT, etc. I guess it’s more so about the work you put in than about where you attend.

Just to be clear, Middletown and Harlem are both Touro-NY, just different campuses. I’m guessing you mean Touro-Harlem when you say “Touro-NY.”

Both NY campuses have not-great board scores, unfortunately; both are performing below the national average on most board exams when it comes to first-time pass rates. At the same time, some individual students are able to succeed there and get into competitive residencies in orthopedic surgery, ENT, etc. I guess it’s more so about the work you put in than about where you attend.

I am in fact referring to Harlem. I've seen some people continue referring to Harlem as simply TouroNY and referring to the new campus as Touro Middletown, so I did the same. Last I looked, Middletown had a higher COMLEX1 average than both Harlem and the national average despite it being the first class ever to sit for the exam. Although I can't argue with the first-time pass rate being on the lower side.

And yes, that's absolutely correct. Simply because a school has a low board average does not mean a singular student cannot perform well. But it says a lot about a school when a) the students are of a poorer matriculant caliber earning comparatively high board scores (a good thing) and b) the students are of a greater matriculant caliber earning comparatively low board scores (a bad thing). It is impossible to deny that the school has some level of impact, be it resources provided, time allotted for board studying, lecture structure and relevance to boards, or whatever else.

The numbers I had in mind were from the 2016-2017 cycle Level 1. Back when I looked, only their first class’s Level 1 scores were posted.

Loma Linda.

I go to the neighboring DO school. I've met an openly gay person in their program. They were staff, possibly executive staff, for an LGBT publication. I've also perused interview feedback sorts of forms and met grad students from LLU. My impression was that they only just require you to attend mass on sundays, but leave you alone otherwise. For instance, coffee isn't supposed to be allowed, but i've heard it's available in breakrooms on the med floors anyways.

Legit don't know that much though about LLU. Just thought it was interesting that it got brought up.

Reactions: 1 users