This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Equivocal_Not_Taken

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reapplying after a prior acceptance is not an auto-reject, but almost always raises questions about an applicants' determination, judgment and motive(s) for pursuing medicine. You will need to overcome the skepticism that many adcoms will have: how do we know that you won't ghost this cycle as well?

If you can overcome this skepticism, then you should be fine. Apply broadly, as your reapplication after an acceptance works against you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should absolutely make your personal statement centered on why you rejected an acceptance, because it is the first question that will be asked of you every interview, and by everyone reviewing your app

Truth be told I don’t believe in this blacklisting nonsense. Schools colluding to not accept somebody or like sharing actual lists would be a violation of antitrust laws. That being said it could come up during interviews which might be a problem.

Truth be told I don’t believe in this blacklisting nonsense. Schools colluding to not accept somebody or like sharing actual lists would be a violation of antitrust laws. That being said it could come up during interviews which might be a problem.
There is no collusion between schools. Nevertheless, it is rare to see someone refuse an acceptance. This would not improve odds of an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
You should absolutely make your personal statement centered on why you rejected an acceptance
I would not do that. The personal statement should answer "why medicine, why now", and not be bogged down with explanations for rejecting an acceptance. Just my thoughts
There is no collusion between schools.
"Collusion delusion"

Reactions: 9 users
There is no collusion between schools. Nevertheless, it is rare to see someone refuse an acceptance. This would not improve odds of an interview.
It's extremely rare to see someone at my school turn down an accept one year and then reapply. I *think* the only time we've seen it is if someone couldn't attend due to health or family reasons and couldn't work out an LOA or deferred accept. We'd be really harsh on any other reason. One either wants to be a doctor, or not.

Reactions: 2 users
You should absolutely make your personal statement centered on why you rejected an acceptance, because it is the first question that will be asked of you every interview, and by everyone reviewing your app
No. The primary is a place to highlight positives. There is no point to ever explain a negative that nobody has asked for.

Reactions: 7 users
I definitely agree with this. I should definitely be prepared to answer these kinds of questions and it might be good to include in the secondary if given a proper chance. However, the primary should be why I want to do medicine not why I chose not to before.

I get that, but I don't think its so black and white for everyone. Some people become physicians to be involved in medicine as well as other non-traditional paths. I was very interested in public health (still am) and got mixed signals as to whether it would be proper for me to pursue medicine. I've since learned that medicine and public health is a great mixture, but I couldn't tell that at the time with the advice I was receiving. I've learned the mistake in my decision making and I have done so in a way to has strengthened how I could see myself as a physician interacting with my interests and passions to their fullest extent.

Again, I'll understand if I get the harsh treatment you describe (I certainly expect it for some schools), but I wouldn't be coming back to medicine if I didn't think that I'm doing so with clarity and purpose.
I'm glad you've since learned and I hope adcoms are able to give you the benefit of the doubt.

MD MPH is a great combination because it gives you the tools to learn about public health and the skillset to practice medicine so you can eliminate the issues that arise from public health problems.