UNC ASOD Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

zToothinator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! Happy to answer any questions regarding how the cycle usually plays out, application deadlines, about the school, etc! So far we haven't heard anything concrete about the fall or how the application cycle will go but the admissions committee is considering virtual interviews for people unable to travel. Last I heard, they were trying to come up with ways to keep it fair between those who choose virtual interviews and those who choose in-person.

UNC ASOD DDS Program Information
Application Dates
COVID-19 Questions
Estimated Cost of Attendance

Interview prep:
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry Interview Feedback

Previous years' threads:
Class of 2024
Class of 2023
Class of 2022
Class of 2021
Class of 2020
Class of 2019

Class Profiles:
Class of 2022
Class of 2018 (attached)

The Act Curriculum:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• classprofile2018.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 307
Reactions: 1 users
On the supplemental how it says “(you must select either 2a or 2b),” does it look good if you answer both, or does it not really matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the supplemental how it says “(you must select either 2a or 2b),” does it look good if you answer both, or does it not really matter?
If it says either I'd just pick one. They also may have changed the supplemental since I applied because I don't remember getting to pick things to respond to.

If it says either I'd just pick one. They also may have changed the supplemental since I applied because I don't remember getting to pick things to respond to.
Yes, questions 2-4 you have a choice of question A or B but they are around the same subject.

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke to a girl that applied to UNC last year as an out of state student and she said UNC would allow you to apply for in state tuition after your first year. Is this true and if so how does it work?

I spoke to a girl that applied to UNC last year as an out of state student and she said UNC would allow you to apply for in state tuition after your first year. Is this true and if so how does it work?
It’s true! You apply through the residency determining service and if approved, will get in state tuition. You need to live on N.C. for 12 months and show that you’re establishing residency here (drivers license, insurance, home/apartment, etc). For the most part, people are able to get approved. UNC itself has no say in the decision. They just get told if you’re considered IS or OOS and adjust your tuition appropriately.

Does anyone know when UNC historically sends interview invites? For IS students?

Does anyone know when UNC historically sends interview invites? For IS students?
I’d reference the class of 2024 thread to see when invites were sent. This year may be completely different but last year there were 4 interview days (September, October, November, and January) and IS students interviewed at all of them.

Another question: I've heard historically that the UNC supplementals did not have a set word limit/character limit. This year, the essays only allow 250 words. Is this a new change made to the supplemental app? Just curious :)

Another question: I've heard historically that the UNC supplementals did not have a set word limit/character limit. This year, the essays only allow 250 words. Is this a new change made to the supplemental app? Just curious :)
Must be! At least when I applied 2 years ago there wasn’t a word limit. I think it’s for the better or else you can’t gauge how much information they want for the essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my picture I have taken a passport pic with professional attire, but my hair was kind of messy and I had a 5 o’clock shadow. Should I get another picture?

For my picture I have taken a passport pic with professional attire, but my hair was kind of messy and I had a 5 o’clock shadow. Should I get another picture?
My opinion is that if you look decent, it's fine. Red flags for a pic would be inappropriate attire, partying, etc (and yes people actually submit those) - things that the admissions committee would look at and question your professionalism. If you look presentable, I wouldn't worry about it. If you would rather retake it, you can if it'll help you feel that you put your best foot forward for the application cycle. Based off of "kind of messy" and "5 o'clock shadow", it sounds like a good enough pic to submit.

D4 here, if people have questions about clinic or other things not application/interview related, feel free to send me a message.

My question is about the photo upload on the supplemental application. It says upload a photo with name and AADSAS number. How am I supposed to do that when I can only select a photo file to upload? Or am I supposed to edit my photo or something with my name and number?

My question is about the photo upload on the supplemental application. It says upload a photo with name and AADSAS number. How am I supposed to do that when I can only select a photo file to upload? Or am I supposed to edit my photo or something with my name and number?
I put my name and ID as the file name

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, that's a great idea. Perhaps I was overthinking it.
Someone I asked from last year mentioned that they put their name and AADSAS number in the blank space of their picture and then uploaded it.

On my decision status on AADSAS for UNC it says that my application is "Received/Waiting Additional Information," but I've already submitted my supplemental application along with the fee. Does everyone's status say this? My transcripts haven't been verified yet, but only say "Arrived," so that could have something to do with it.

How is UNC planning to run interviews and when do they generally start interviewing?

How is UNC planning to run interviews and when do they generally start interviewing?

Still no official word on interviews, but I think they'll try to arrange for some in-person ones as well as remote as OP said. First invites go out around mid-August, first interview day should be Sept 5th (if they follow the same pattern as previous years). Could be pushed back slightly, since the app opened two weeks later this go round.

Fairly certain all interviews will be virtual to standardize the process and minimize bias.

Fairly certain all interviews will be virtual to standardize the process and minimize bias.

We haven't heard anything official yet. The last update was that they were considering a mix of in-person and virtual interviews and were trying to come up with a way to keep it fair. I wouldn't expect an announcement until around August when they get ready to send out the first round. Right now, most efforts are focused on planning the fall semester for existing students.

Did anyone else get an email from a specific faculty member saying they were impressed with your recent application.. ? I cannot reveal any information, except that they work for UNC and emailed me complimenting my application. Is this abnormal or a mistake?
I didn’t get anything like this :( congrats though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else get an email from a specific faculty member saying they were impressed with your recent application.. ? I cannot reveal any information, except that they work for UNC and emailed me complimenting my application. Is this abnormal or a mistake?
Wow, if this is legit that’s amazing! When did you submit your primary & secondary if you don’t mind sharing?

Wow, if this is legit that’s amazing! When did you submit your primary & secondary if you don’t mind sharing?
I submitted the primary the second it opened on the 16th! Lol and it got verified about 2-3 days later. Then I submitted the secondary on the 22nd of June!

- Referencing the previous conversation about the pictures, I just submitted a picture that was the passport style photo with the correct sizing and underneath that picture I left a space to restate my name and PID

- Also, concerning the AADSAS status, does anyone else still have "NONE" decision status next to UNC even after you've completed the primary and supplemental applications?

- Referencing the previous conversation about the pictures, I just submitted a picture that was the passport style photo with the correct sizing and underneath that picture I left a space to restate my name and PID

- Also, concerning the AADSAS status, does anyone else still have "NONE" decision status next to UNC even after you've completed the primary and supplemental applications?
I have completed everything and still have the status none. I have called/emailed the admissions office with no response. Is UNC generally good or bad at communicating to applicants?

As long as you get that email confirming you've submitted the supplemental app, and your AADSAS is verified, I wouldn't bother UNC about it. Their response rates are good, but they only reply when a response is warranted.

On the UNC supplemental page after you submit, when you guys click on "Preview Application Proof" do you see your uploaded headshot on there? Just curious if that's supposed to be the case, because I ended up uploading a picture, then deleting it to replace it with another one before I submitted my supplemental, and I don't know if that messed up the picture on the supplemental.

Also, on the Application Checklist for me there's a line that says "Photo ID Dental" with a checkmark and the date 6/16, then "Photo ID Requirement" with a little logo of a paper with the date 6/22 and that's a little confusing to me. Anyone else see something like this?

On the UNC supplemental page after you submit, when you guys click on "Preview Application Proof" do you see your uploaded headshot on there? Just curious if that's supposed to be the case, because I ended up uploading a picture, then deleting it to replace it with another one before I submitted my supplemental, and I don't know if that messed up the picture on the supplemental.

Also, on the Application Checklist for me there's a line that says "Photo ID Dental" with a checkmark and the date 6/16, then "Photo ID Requirement" with a little logo of a paper with the date 6/22 and that's a little confusing to me. Anyone else see something like this?
After I clicked on "Preview Application Proof", there's no uploaded headshot so you're good.

On the application Checklist, I also have a checkmark and then a little logo of a paper but as long as it says "Received" next to it, you're good to go.

This might be a silly question but...does the 2x2 photo actually have to be the dimensions 2 inches by 2 inches or is it fine if it’s a passport style 2x2 but it shows up bigger on the document we attach?

This might be a silly question but...does the 2x2 photo actually have to be the dimensions 2 inches by 2 inches or is it fine if it’s a passport style 2x2 but it shows up bigger on the document we attach?

I made mine 2x2 passport size through an app but mine came out very big when I preview attachment. Did yours do the same?

I made mine 2x2 passport size through an app but mine came out very big when I preview attachment. Did yours do the same?
Yes! Other people from last cycle had the same thing happen as well so I believe it's okay. They want a 2x2 "style" photo so it's understandable that on the document preview the photo is bigger.

My application status changed from “application complete” to “under review”. Yay!

Mine changed from "None" to "Received/Application Complete" last night!

My status just went from “under review” back to “application complete” is this a good or bad sign?

Can someone please share what's on the supplementary application? And wondering how long did you write for the question of "Please describe your interest in choosing University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Adams School of Dentistry for your dental education" on AADSAS?

Nice that’s awesome! If you don’t mind me asking, what are your stats?