This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blinkblink2

Reaction score
z

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Imo, it would benefit you if all things considered in your app, they would think you would choose a different equivalent or higher ranked school. This could be due to your own home or current geography, undergrad geography ties, or regional part of the country, etc. I'd let them know during the interview or afterwards as a LOI.

They're about as high-ranked a school as there is, so that bit is not applicable here. Do you still think it would be of benefit in this circumstance?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a premed, so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I really don't think ties like this will put you over the top at a reach school. I think it could be effective at a school that might otherwise yield protect you out, because it demonstrates genuine interest and commitment, but why would a reach care about your fiancee? Presumably, you'd jump at the opportunity to attend a reach with no connection at all! And, I think you are dreaming if you think the med school would accept a marginal candidate just so the law school can grab a highly attractive one.

That said, mentioning the ties certainly won't hurt, but, when you say "notify" I assume you are not contemplating making this the subject of an update, are you?

Reactions: 1 users
Your reasoning is sound. In my thinking, I am considering that there is an element of elitism within an institution such as this, not saying that as a pejorative, just a functional reality. In light of this, if one of the most prestigious bodies within their institution has "signed off" on my fiancee and has prospective future ties to her and, meanwhile, I am at least marginal for their MD program, that additional background of my association with her here may make me more interesting (in appearance and reality). Also, a few schools ask about whether you have social support, so this letter could be framed as a notification of social support, then pivoting to detailing who that person and, incidentally, their preexistent association with her.

Your reasoning is sound. In my thinking, I am considering that there is an element of elitism within an institution such as this, not saying that as a pejorative, just a functional reality. In light of this, if one of the most prestigious bodies within their institution has "signed off" on my fiancee and has prospective future ties to her and, meanwhile, I am at least marginal for their MD program, that additional background of my association with her here may make me more interesting (in appearance and reality). Also, a few schools ask about whether you have social support, so this letter could be framed as a notification of social support, then pivoting to detailing who that person and, incidentally, their preexistent association with her.
Other comments....
It would be essiermif you told us the schools so we knew how elite, otherwise, assuming it is truly top 10, they will all assume you would want to attend. As such, if your fiancee has such strong ties, maybe work the angle a little bit from the law school side. IOW, if the law school Really wants your fiancee, maybe they would ask their med school breathren for consideration in reviewing your app.
Otherwise, I don't see it helping nor hurting from your side.

I think that's stretching things a bit, especially because there are other (less highly selective) schools within commuting distance.

Reactions: 2 users
Your reasoning is also sound, and it's definitely worth a shot. I just wouldn't get my hopes up. Yes, some schools worry about social support. The tippy top schools typically are not accepting students for whom that is a concern, other than URMs, for whom they are feverishly putting systems in place to support them. The schools you are describing are typically mid tier and below.

I totally agree about elitism at elite institutions -- I just don't think the med school will care one way or the other whether or not your fiancee attends the law school, so it's just very unlikely to help you. If you are a strong candidate, it just might push you over the top. If not, it's not going to make a difference. Again, no harm in mentioning it, although I certainly wouldn't make it the topic of an update, but I wouldn't count on it.

Assuming you already submitted your secondary, how do you propose getting this in front of them if you don't receive an II?

Other comments....
It would be essiermif you told us the schools so we knew how elite, otherwise, assuming it is truly top 10, they will all assume you would want to attend. As such, if your fiancee has such strong ties, maybe work the angle a little bit from the law school side. IOW, if the law school Really wants your fiancee, maybe they would ask their med school breathren for consideration in reviewing your app.
Otherwise, I don't see it helping nor hurting from your side.
Yeah, this doesn't happen in the real world. Med schools will sometimes accept one half of a couple to get the one they really want, but different grad schools in a university don't coordinate like this at all. The request would never even make it to the med school, ESPECIALLY at schools at this level, where neither half of the @blinkblink2 duo would be deemed irreplaceable by either school. :cool:

Given that there are at least 3 other med schools within commuting distance, I don't think they will care--even if they reject you, you will still have other possibilities.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's your GPA, and where did you do undergrad?

Can you get a great LOR from a PI in that school's hospital system?

Totally understood and implied. Now, if you were talking about Albany and upstate NY, it would help. At schools at the level you are talking about, they are just not going to take you if they wouldn't anyway, out of concern that the law school might otherwise lose your fiancee, or because they really, really care that each and every one of their matriculants have local social support in place.

You have a good shot at the other schools in the area. Apply to all of them (including the Ivy) and hope for the best!

You have a good shot at the other schools in the area. Apply to all of them (including the Ivy) and hope for the best!
Any thoughts on the aforementioned school specifically? Would the additional detail add any nuance to your opinion on the matter regarding this school specifically?

3.94 UC Davis. I have a letter from my PI, who is a very prestigious figure yes. I did clinical research for 3 years at Davis in virology, computational side, which is relatable to general vaccine design, have tied to COVID in my apps.
There is absolutely no reason not to take your shot. Anything can happen, but you are correct -- you are a reach. Like the rest of us, you are highly capable, but probably around half of their applicant pool is.

Your UG isn't T10 or T20, your MCAT isn't 98%+, and your GPA is right around the median. You're just like the rest of us, the vast majority of whom will not be successful. Maybe something unique in your essays and ECs will push you over the top. It is highly unlikely this something will be your fiancee.

Last edited:
That school won't care unless they were recruiting your fiancee for a tenured position and you were the trailing spouse.
This^^^^ is the definitive answer. She is an adcom at a similarly situated institution.

Now we can ask how genuine the desire for support and proximity is -- would you consider a lower ranked school in the area over a higher ranked school out of the area? Would a scholarship at the higher ranked school change this? Schools are aware of this as well, which is why higher ranked schools typically don't factor situations like this into admission decisions.

Last edited:
This^^^^ is the definitive answer. She is an adcom at a similarly situated institution.

Now we can ask how genuine the desire for support and proximity is -- would you consider a lower ranked school in the area over a higher ranked school out of the area? Would a scholarship at the higher ranked school change this? Schools are aware of this as well, which is why higher ranked schools typically don't factor situations like this into admission decisions.
I've already applied to the other two schools in this urban area. Are you suggesting this would be worth doing in their case?

I've already applied to the other two schools in this urban area. Are you suggesting this would be worth doing in their case?
Definitely!!!! Again (you haven't answered yet! :)) -- how do you propose doing this. It seems odd to send an update for this, so how would you get this in front of anyone before an interview?

Why is it is odd to send an update on this. Just a letterhead well-formulated starting with To Whom It May Concern. Sort of implied letter of intent to matriculate, given information I'm conveying.

The state school, which is also near the Ivy, takes quite a few California applicants. It's possible to live halfway in between (20 min commute for each).

I think a letter of intent is sent after you have interviewed, right? Especially when you are on the wait list?

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, not familiar with the terminology. First time applicant. I didn't apply to the public one actually, was referring to the two privates. Perhaps I should.

I just mean in layman terms, a nicely formatted and looked-over pdf...To Whom I My Concern, I have reasons related to my spouse why your institution is of greater interest to me than would be otherwise apparent, more or less.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to send a note saying that your spouse will be attending the Ivy. I still don't think the Ivy will care. And if she plans to go to the Ivy, it would make sense for you to apply to the state school. In case you don't get in to one of the other nearby schools.
And if you apply to the state school, that's the time to cite your spouse's status as a student at a nearby school; that does count as a tie to the state.

Is she actually enrolled at the school? Because otherwise it makes absolutely no sense to write anything....

Why is it is odd to send an update on this. Just a letterhead well-formulated starting with To Whom It May Concern. Sort of implied letter of intent to matriculate, given information I'm conveying.
Because those are generally worthless prior to an interview. They are most effective in stimulating movement off a WL, but honestly have no value prior to the school expressing some interest in you, through an II. Think about, unless and until they decide they want to see you, why would they care about your implied letter of intent? Where were you at the Early Decision deadline if you wanted to submit a binding letter of intent on the front end of the process? :cool:

Yes, I know this particular school doesn't indulge in this process -- but for those that do, that's how and when such expressions have an impact prior to an interview.

Sorry, not familiar with the terminology. First time applicant. I didn't apply to the public one actually, was referring to the two privates. Perhaps I should.

I just mean in layman terms, a nicely formatted and looked-over pdf...To Whom I My Concern, I have reasons related to my spouse why your institution is of greater interest to me than would be otherwise apparent, more or less.
Except, on top of everything else, it's not even a spouse. Making such an implication without the tax returns and lack of dependence on your parents to back it up will really create problems for you. You're not getting married between now and when you would send a letter, are you?

And, @LunaOri makes a good point -- saying anything merely because your fiancee currently attends a post-bacc program, and has applied (or intends to apply) to grad school, without being accepted and committed to attend, is totally meaningless under any circumstances, let alone these. I honestly think it is premature to even think about playing this card UNTIL your fiancee makes a commitment to attend her program AND you have had interviews and haven't been rejected from programs in the area.

That's the time to send a letter, using this as a reason to express intense interest in being in the area. Until then, you have no idea where she'll be (you've been making a huge assumption about what her choices will be), and, no offense, but why would you think any school would care what you want before they have decided to issue you an II? Think about it -- if this were not the case, we all could send similar letters anywhere we have close friends who might find themselves in the area anytime over the next 4 years! :cool:

Does the school even take “update letters”or whatever this letter is? You obviously want to send it so go ahead but don’t expect it to do anything! And before you do anything reread @cj_cregg ’s post about 10+ times!

• Love
I've not determined whether I will do it or would not have posted. I would like to believe it would help, but accept the advice I have received. My conclusion is that it may be of use at the interview stage for schools in the area.