This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2019-2020

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait until you get Virginia residency status to make a decision. $25k/year difference is too substantial to overlook, and I don’t consider Georgetown to be THAT much better of a school (especially with its run-down facilities). If VCU sticks you with OOS tuition, go to Georgetown hands down. If VCU gives you IS, I would choose them.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed, thanks for the insight! Why do you consider Georgetown to be a better school, and why, if VCU sticks me with OOS tuition, would you recommend that I go to Georgetown?
Georgetown receives more research funding and has great name recognition, but it’s not worth an extra $25k/year if you get IS tuition at VCU.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, and why?
because at the end of the day, I don't think I'd pay an extra 100k to Georgetown just for a slightly increased chance of matching Derm. I'd pay that for Harvard/Columbia/Stanford/Penn but not Georgetown. If VCU has home programs in the specialties you're thinking about, you could match from VCU. You might get more research opportunities at Georgetown, but not 100k's worth

Reactions: 3 users
Irrespective of IS, I would recommend VCU. Med school is the effort you put in, for competitive specialties, that starts pretty early with research and mentors. VCU is really centrally located which allows you to spend your time building that residency application. Friends at Georgetown and GW spent a lot of time commuting in from Virginia (north Arlington) or traveling to clinical sites across the city. VCU built a huge Med school building all in one place and actually for competitive specialties you have to consider that matching at the home institution is sometimes your best bet-VCU preferences it’s home students more. It’s location is more remote but certainly trips into DC are possible and med school is a lot of studying. VCU has a great class cohesiveness. It may be harder to match into Cali from an east coast school. I also do not think Georgetown Is worth the extra money. For competitive specialties, lots of people do research years especially derm-you can pick an institution in the desired locale for this.

Reactions: 1 user