16 DAT, 3.2 GPA What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigDee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so what are my chances with a 16 DAT and 3.2 GPA, if I have good letters of recommendation and good essays?

My experience includes shadowing various dentists for several months now.

The only other problem is that I graduated 4 years ago. Resume wise I have not done much except study for the DAT off and on, and shadow dentists. I'm hesitant to apply this year so what can I do to beef up my application?

If I got a master's degree and came out with good grades would that be sufficient?
Should I retake my DAT?

Also, how do male applicants get dental experience? I have tried to WORK in a dental office and it seems like there are zero job prospects for men. Is it worth it to try and be a dental assistant?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to work to get dental experience. You can volunteer. Many dentists will let you volunteer and shadow. As far as improving your application? I would probably retake the DAT and try to get at least a 20. What is your science GPA? You probably could do a Masters as well...something in the science field and try to get all As in those classes to boost up your science GPA. So were you premed before?

The Dat score will be an issue for schools. A lot of schools have cut offs and if you do not make it past the cut offs I don't know if they will consider your app. If you can retake the DAT and score closer the the averages for the schools you want to apply to and enroll in a masters program you might have a better shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to work to get dental experience. You can volunteer. Many dentists will let you volunteer and shadow. As far as improving your application? I would probably retake the DAT and try to get at least a 20. What is your science GPA? You probably could do a Masters as well...something in the science field and try to get all As in those classes to boost up your science GPA. So were you premed before?
Yeah I was premed now predental. So what is the minimum score I need on the DAT for it to be worth a retake? Would a 20 be good enough?

Both GPA's are 3.2

20 or 21 should be good enough as long as you also raise your GPA a little. Upward trend in GPA could also help you out

20 or 21 should be good enough as long as you also raise your GPA a little. Upward trend in GPA could also help you out
Ok I'll shoot for a 21. I have a 120 hours. I can't raise my GPA, unless you mean have a good master's GPA.

Ok I'll shoot for a 21. I have a 120 hours. I can't raise my GPA, unless you mean have a good master's GPA.

A good master's GPA will definitely help you.

And I agree with the above posters that you basically have to retake the DAT. Make sure you check the breakdown collection in my signature and find all the right stuff to study! That makes the whole process so much easier.

A good master's GPA will definitely help you.

And I agree with the above posters that you basically have to retake the DAT. Make sure you check the breakdown collection in my signature and find all the right stuff to study! That makes the whole process so much easier.

'must'

ironic considering the fact they were implying the correct wording is "must to"

Reactions: 3 users
There may be some other issues to address as well. You say you graduated 4 years ago, but haven't done much but study for DAT on and off (?) and shadow dentists. That doesn't sound very good, is there more to it? Have you been in school/working?
If you improve your DAT score and get an interview, they will ask about what you have been doing since you graduated since you are a non-trad. Make sure you have a good answer prepared for that.