Low Pat score of 16 WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red._.Moon

Reaction score
I have a low PAT: 16 and idk if i should retake DAT or not. I seriously didn't understand some of the sections of the PAT at all (such as TFE) and I feel like even if i retook it, I would probably get the same score on the PAT. Also my DAT score is avg/ below avg too, so what are my chances? I am a senior right now and will take a gap year and get more shadowing experience/work experience but I was wondering if i should instead spend that time to retake the DAT. I might also get my first C for an english class and I am already a senior and I know admissions committee look for a growth so does getting a C look bad for the final year? I was planning on emailing some dental schools and asking what my chances are bc i heard its good to reach out to the admissions committee early on?

Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.48
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: how do we calculate this? I got a B in bio 1, 2 and lab, chem 1: B+, Chem 2: A, chem lab: B, and for physics 1: B+ and physics 2: A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 19, PAT: 16, QR: 18, RC: 19, bio: 18, GC: 20, OC: 20, TS: 19
State of Residence: new jersey

Undergrad Attended:
Rutgers University
Major: Biology
Minor:
Psychology
Minority? No. Indian

Shadowing Experience: 60 hours: oral surgeon for 100 hours: gen dentist that i started working for. Will probably get more later on
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours at a research facility for genetics
Employment: 200+ dental assistant
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: dance club, Hindu club, Event coordinator of RHA governing Council, pre-dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list since spring of 2nd year
LOR type and strength: rec letter from physics prof, endocrinology prof, from the oral surgeon i shadowed and 1 from the gen dentist that I work under
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I just volunteered for a year at a research facility and that's it.

School list:
Rutgers, Touro NYMC, University of Buffalo, NYU, Upitt, Tufts, Howard uni, A.T. Still Uni of AZ, midwestern uni of az--> I haven't really made a solid list yet

Members don't see this ad.

I have a low PAT: 16 and idk if i should retake DAT or not. I seriously didn't understand some of the sections of the PAT at all (such as TFE) and I feel like even if i retook it, I would probably get the same score on the PAT. Also my DAT score is avg/ below avg too, so what are my chances? I am a senior right now and will take a gap year and get more shadowing experience/work experience but I was wondering if i should instead spend that time to retake the DAT. I might also get my first C for an english class and I am already a senior and I know admissions committee look for a growth so does getting a C look bad for the final year? I was planning on emailing some dental schools and asking what my chances are bc i heard its good to reach out to the admissions committee early on?

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: how do we calculate this? I got a B in bio 1, 2 and lab, chem 1: B+, Chem 2: A, chem lab: B, and for physics 1: B+ and physics 2: A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 19, PAT: 16, QR: 18, RC: 19, bio: 18, GC: 20, OC: 20, TS: 19

Undergrad Attended:
Rutgers University
Minor:
Psychology
Minority? No. Indian

Shadowing Experience: 60 hours: oral surgeon for 100 hours: gen dentist that i started working for. Will probably get more later on
Other Extracurriculars: dance club, Hindu club, Event coordinator of RHA governing Council, pre-dental club
LOR type and strength: rec letter from physics prof, endocrinology prof, from the oral surgeon i shadowed and 1 from the gen dentist that I work under
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I just volunteered for a year at a research facility and that's it.

School list:
Rutgers, Touro NYMC, University of Buffalo, NYU, Upitt, Tufts, Howard uni, A.T. Still Uni of AZ, midwestern uni of az--> I haven't really made a solid list yet
retake DAT

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by someone on an admissions committee that “PAT tells us nothing”
I think it depends on the school.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely not retake. PAT and QR(especially) are oftentimes ignored by schools. You have a good sgpa, I would apply broadly and I think you have a good chance at some interviews! (I had a 3.2 sgpa w/ 16 QR, but did have 21AA/TS) and I had several interviews

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Undergrad Attended:
Rutgers University
Minor:
Psychology
Minority? No. Indian

School list:
Retake. Don't listen to anyone saying PAT is not significant as it demonstrates your perceptual ability which correlates with the skills you use in dentistry like dental anatomy, indirect vision prepping teeth, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
From personal experience, I had a 3.7 gpa & sgpa; but I have a 19AA, 21TS, 16PAT, and <16 QR. I was able to receive 3 interviews out of the 17-18 schools I applied to. From those interviews, I was accepted to 2 schools and declined my third interview. You could be accepted with those scores, but you also have time to retake imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Retake. Don't listen to anyone saying PAT is not significant as it demonstrates your perceptual ability which correlates with the skills you use in dentistry like dental anatomy, indirect vision prepping teeth, etc.
I am sorry, but this is wrong. Ive heard from admissions staff they dont take it into much consideration. Again its going to depend on the specific school but in no way is a 16 on the PAT a deal breaker