19, will soon acquire GED, wanting to become a Doctor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pneumolysis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a 19 year old male, grew up lower middle class. My entire family are dropouts. My dad dropped out in 7th grade and my mother dropped out in 10th grade. My mother became a stay at home mom when she had my older brother and I, then had my little brother and sister and has been a SAHM since. My father has worked manual labor jobs making minimum wage. However, years later he became a plumber but still made way less than average household income when I was growing up.

Unfortunately, mid 10th grade, I was forced to drop out due to my father going to jail for something he did a while ago. Consequently, my mother had to get a minimum wage job working at a hotel with her hurt back she's had from a car accident a while ago. Of course it couldn't pay the $900 a month rent, utilities, food, etc, so I started working under the table in a physical labor job to help her out. 6 months later, my father finally got out of jail and things were getting slightly better.

However, 2-3 years went by and I've never gotten my GED. I've worked with my father on and off over the years to help them with bills since they still could barely afford them, but primarily have just been sitting around, learning and teaching myself things online. Fortunately, he got a better job with his experience as a plumber and makes $3-4k a month. Education has never been a thing in my family and I want to change that. My family doubts me because nobody in the family has ever become more than just a physical labor worker. They know I'm pretty intelligent(to them), but I feel as though I'm average, perhaps slightly less due to a lack of formal education.

I'll be the first in my family to obtain a GED and go to college. They don't understand why I'm stressed, I don't want to be like them and continue lack of education in the family. I've always loved medicine and helping others. Ever since I was a child, I've dreamed of becoming a Doctor and it's been with me ever since. Do you think my background will enable me to achieve my dreams or will it disqualify me from medical school?

Additional things I'll include that isn't in the story: father is a verbally abusive alcoholic and mother was addicted to pills. My father and older brother berates me for wanting to pursue a career outside of physical labor jobs that they do, so unfortunately I also have no support, haha.

My apologies for the extremely long post and if it's all over the place, to get straight to the point just read the paragraph in bold, thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

We all have a story. What separates those that make it vs the ones that don’t is whether you allow it to define or motivate you. Typically those that let it define them don’t make it far in this process.

Here’s what you need (a general blueprint, if you will):
- complete undergrad and graduate with 3.5+ GPA overall and science, preferably 3.7+
- score 510+ on the MCAT
- accumulate 150+ hours clinical volunteering
- accumulate 150+ hours non-clinical volunteering in an underserved or underrepresented community (eg. homeless shelter or soup kitchen)
- accumulate ~50 hours shadowing a physician to get an understanding “in the day of a life”
- make lasting relationships with professors at your school, as well as those in the community (or physician(s) you shadow) that will write strong LORs for you
- apply early

You are more than 4 years away from making this dream a reality, and between now and then is significant work. Your personal statement will give you an opportunity to share your story and how much you’ve overcome to be in the position to apply; however, there are baseline stats (what I listed above) that you need in order to have a fighting chance.

This is process is a marathon, not a sprint, so do not rush it.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users

Most important part to realize. Relax and get to grinding. Make sure in undergrad you develop good habits immediately, do not succumb to the typical college lifestyle you are trying to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely possible, and props to you for having high goals!

Since much of your application is dependent on your grades, your first order of business is figuring out how to do well in classes. You may very well be capable of doing well, but intellectual capability is different from study habits, and the latter oftentimes needs to be developed overtime.

My performance was marginal in high school at best, so I had to learn to adapt at every level in college. I continually reexamined my study habits, especially after poor exams, and stayed in contact with my advisors. Work hard, start early for each exam, and develop approaches that work well for you. This is a learning process... one of the lowest grades I received was on the first exam I'd ever taken, for a gen ed.

It's definitely possible, and props to you for having high goals!

Since much of your application is dependent on your grades, your first order of business is figuring out how to do well in classes. You may very well be capable of doing well, but intellectual capability is different from study habits, and the latter oftentimes needs to be developed overtime.

My performance was marginal in high school at best, so I had to learn to adapt at every level in college. I continually reexamined my study habits, especially after poor exams, and stayed in contact with my advisors. Work hard, start early for each exam, and develop approaches that work well for you. This is a learning process... one of the lowest grades I received was on the first exam I'd ever taken, for a gen ed.

Thank you. Yes, throughout high school I never studied so it's quite foreign to me. Fortunately, my brain retains information easily and I still made pretty good grades regardless of lack of studying. Of course college is much harder than high school and I definitely wish I would have built solid study habits haha, but I'm definitely not afraid to take it on and will enjoy creating a habit to study since I absolutely love learning everything, especially science/medicine. I'm definitely going to have to work extremely hard to catch up to everyone else and I'm glad I have an opportunity now to go after my dreams like most of you here. I appreciate your response.

We all have a story. What separates those that make it vs the ones that don’t is whether you allow it to define or motivate you. Typically those that let it define them don’t make it far in this process.

Here’s what you need (a general blueprint, if you will):
- complete undergrad and graduate with 3.5+ GPA overall and science, preferably 3.7+
- score 510+ on the MCAT
- accumulate 150+ hours clinical volunteering
- accumulate 150+ hours non-clinical volunteering in an underserved or underrepresented community (eg. homeless shelter or soup kitchen)
- accumulate ~50 hours shadowing a physician to get an understanding “in the day of a life”
- make lasting relationships with professors at your school, as well as those in the community (or physician(s) you shadow) that will write strong LORs for you
- apply early

You are more than 4 years away from making this dream a reality, and between now and then is significant work. Your personal statement will give you an opportunity to share your story and how much you’ve overcome to be in the position to apply; however, there are baseline stats (what I listed above) that you need in order to have a fighting chance.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you very much. When would be the best time to start shadowing and getting clinical/non-clinical volunteer experience? I heard you should start around junior/senior year but I'd definitely love to start earlier if possible.

Thank you very much. When would be the best time to start shadowing and getting clinical/non-clinical volunteer experience? I heard you should start around junior/senior year but I'd definitely love to start earlier if possible.

As soon as you are ready. It’s easy to focus on the extracurriculars but don’t let that take away from studying. At the end of the day, the two most important components of your app are your GPA and MCAT score.