MD 19 Years old

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

are102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So....I am 19 years old and graduating WIU with a double major in bio and Spanish and double minor in chem and math with University honors. I got a 34 MCAT. However, my GPA is only 3.61 and I didn't get all my secondaries turned in until November. I want to go to SIU most likely just because of cost of living and dad went there etc. Just recently I finally got my fourth letter of recommendation because long story short my boss got fired and got paranoid a month before, lied to me and said she was writing my letter, then told other people she wasn't writing it because she thinks we're all trying to get her fired. Anyways, yesterday I just got confirmation of having an interview with SIU late February. I know that's really late though and they will already have given out many acceptances. I also know that at times my age can hurt rather than help me. Any thoughts? My parents are telling me to get on applying for grad school in case and I really would rather not go to grad school. Thank you for all opinions or advice, I just don't have a big premed program where I am so I don't have many people to talk to.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suspect your very young age will work against you, but that Dad's alumni status will work in your favor. You got past the 'late application' hump (Thanks Dad!) --

I'd suggest you research the heck out of SIU so you can give them a great answer to why you want to go there and why you'd be a great fit for them.

Then start figuring out what you would do if you don't get in and start making plans to do it. This is not because your stats aren't competitive -- they are -- but rather because of your youth. Someone on the AdCom's going to have a problem with it and they might waitlist you for a cycle or two just to let you grow up a few more years... Be sure you're prepared to use your time productively if that happens.

So....I am 19 years old and graduating WIU with a double major in bio and Spanish and double minor in chem and math with University honors. I got a 34 MCAT. However, my GPA is only 3.61 and I didn't get all my secondaries turned in until November. I want to go to SIU most likely just because of cost of living and dad went there etc. Just recently I finally got my fourth letter of recommendation because long story short my boss got fired and got paranoid a month before, lied to me and said she was writing my letter, then told other people she wasn't writing it because she thinks we're all trying to get her fired. Anyways, yesterday I just got confirmation of having an interview with SIU late February. I know that's really late though and they will already have given out many acceptances. I also know that at times my age can hurt rather than help me. Any thoughts? My parents are telling me to get on applying for grad school in case and I really would rather not go to grad school. Thank you for all opinions or advice, I just don't have a big premed program where I am so I don't have many people to talk to.
SIU is one of those schools where a late application is less detrimental than is generally the case, due to the small applicant pool. The school screens pre-Secondary, so an interview invitation is very promising. Last I heard, about 90% of those put on the "Accept When Place Available" list post-interview eventually got an acceptance. As I recall, at this time of the cycle, only 1/3 of the AWPAers have gotten an acceptance.

It is unlikely you will be discriminated against due to your age, but as with all applicants, your experiences and interview presentation will be scrutinized for evidence of maturity.

I completely agree with DokterMom that you need a much better reason for wanting to attend the school. You might research their Problem-Based Learning curriculum and early clinical exposure which are worthy of some enthusiasm.

If you end up reapplying, you will be asked to list the ways in which your application has improved since the last application, so be sure to keep relevant activities going through this cycle, so you have something to say in response that reflects well on you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The last 19 year old we interviewed received a waitlist decision, not because of her age but because of her lack of emotional maturity. It is normal for young people to be self absorbed and awkward. You need to be poised, articulate and dressed for the part in order to make the most of your interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The last 19 year old we interviewed received a waitlist decision, not because of her age but because of her lack of emotional maturity. It is normal for young people to be self absorbed and awkward. You need to be poised, articulate and dressed for the part in order to make the most of your interview. Good luck!

That's what I meant but didn't say as well as Gyngyn. It's not the number they'll have a problem with; it's the maturity that typically goes with it. And the number will make them look even closer.

I completely agree with DokterMom that you need a much better reason for wanting to attend the school.

I'm not sure what this means or how my comments were interpreted -- Just suggesting that you have a really good answer to the old "Why here?" question to maximize your chances of admittance since with your very late app, this might be one of a very few interviews this cycle.

I want to go to SIU most likely just because of cost of living and dad went there etc.
I'd suggest you research the heck out of SIU so you can give them a great answer to why you want to go there and why you'd be a great fit for them.
I completely agree with DokterMom that you need a much better reason for wanting to attend the school.
I'm not sure what this means or how my comments were interpreted -- Just suggesting that you have a really good answer to the old "Why here?"
It seemed to me you were specifically responding that her stated reason for wanting to attend would not be a "great" answer.