1999 HY MCB-enough info???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished reading the 1999 HY MCB book, which I actually did like. It presents things very simply with great diagrams. However, I am wondering whether this book has enough detail. I also have the Kaplan books and it seems as though Kaplan MCB has much more info. I am wondering your thoughts. As a non-science major in college, I felt really behind in biochem and MCB throughout med school, and wanted to do extra preparation for these subjects. If not Kaplan, any other resources you recommend?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

i haven't started reading that yet but it actually seemed like it was a little too much stuff to know for step 1...

From my personal experience, the amount of information in the book seemed right on as far as what I was tested on, in the exam.

it's over 100 pages, how much time do you have to devote to this subject :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
it's 100 pages but a really easy read. it didn't take more than 3 hours to read.

an upper classmen gave me an old High Yield cell and molecular bio book. I know this might be a silly question, but just to make sure... the book says

Copyright @ 1999 Lippincott Williams & Wilkms

is this the famous book everyone talks about?

thanks!

it's over 100 pages, how much time do you have to devote to this subject :eek:

I had more MCB than pharmacology. And I'm far from alone in that experience. So I'd make time for it.

One area I thought it was somewhat inadequate was for transcription/translation. They LOVE asking little basic science questions about those.

good to know... would you recommend busting out that section in good ol' Alberts or Lodish?

I had more MCB than pharmacology. And I'm far from alone in that experience. So I'd make time for it.

One area I thought it was somewhat inadequate was for transcription/translation. They LOVE asking little basic science questions about those.

i unfortunately could not find a copy of the 1999 so i got the new one. i actually read almost all of it (except last 20 pages on molec bio techniques, which I'll get around to doing sometime soon). CMB is also a bit of a weak spot since undergrad was really the last time i saw this stuff, 1999 is real short everyone says, and the new version has tons of excess details (full page diagrams beyond the scope of this material), a 60+ page section on the MCB of viruses (some of it is helpful, most a bit excessive). But with so much extra stuff, I was hoping to get some tips from anyone who knows what I should focus on...i.e. what is high yield in this not so high yield cell molec bio book? Thanks!

i agree that the transcription/translation sections were lacking--that's mainly what i was referring to. kaplan has way more info on this topic