1st, 2nd, 3rd tier Medical Schools...

Started by NYCMommy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NYCMommy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can somebody either post or link a breakdown of schools based on their tiers...I would like to get some idea of where the schools I applied to fall. I think I have a good mix of all three but would be nice to have some comparison.

Thanks!😀
 
Any breakdown of tiers is completely arbitrary.

What is "top tier"? Top 10? I don't think anyone would consider Columbia on a different tier from UChicago. Is it top 25? I don't think anyone would consider UNC on a different tier from Emory. And this keeps going on and on.

I'm not saying that reputation doesn't matter (it does), but there is no way to say that any one medical school is "better" than another one.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any breakdown of tiers is completely arbitrary.

What is "top tier"? Top 10? I don't think anyone would consider Columbia on a different tier from UChicago. Is it top 25? I don't think anyone would consider UNC on a different tier from Emory. And this keeps going on and on.

I'm not saying that reputation doesn't matter (it does), but there is no way to say that any one medical school is "better" than another one.

It would be incredibly difficult to draw the line, although this doesn't mean some schools aren't clearly better than some other ones. Nobody would put HMS in second tier, barring some very specific criterion he/she is using above all the regular ones.

This is kind of a pointless question though since OP has already applied and is just waiting...
 
It would be incredibly difficult to draw the line, although this doesn't mean some schools aren't clearly better than some other ones. Nobody would put HMS in second tier, barring some very specific criterion he/she is using above all the regular ones.

This is kind of a pointless question though since OP has already applied and is just waiting...


Yep, I agree...
 
Med schools don't have a tier system like law schools. Instead, the rankings are created based off certain defining factors, the most popular ones being, research or amount of students going into primary care. If you want to gauge a school's ability to teach its students via other factors, avg gpa, mcat score, and etc just look at the MSAR.
 
Last edited:
Why does it matter? If you excel at any U.S. med school, then you can pretty much do whatever you want.

The same cannot be said for law schools, etc. as others have alluded to.

If you want to gauge of how competitive your app is at certain schools (which may be why you asked this question), then pick up an MSAR.