• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

1st semester of community college, what are my options?

samsizzle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
    Hello Everyone, just joined this amazing forum.

First of all, let me give some background info.
    *US citizen, currently living in California
    *Graduated from high school a year ago
    *Currently in first year of Community College (not doing as well as I would like :()
    *Bio Major, looking to go into Dentistry
    *19 years old

I was initially going to transfer from my community college to a 4 year university such as UCLA, etc. But by the way things are going, I will not make it (3.2ish gpa). My chances for UCLA are pretty much non-existant. The best I can do is probably UC Irvine, or UC Riverside.

Now onto the reason of why I am posting in the International Forum...

I really want to get away from here. Life is very mundane and repetitive (not saying thats a bad thing, but I need a change in setting).
    I want to go abroad. I do not want to finish my next 3 years here for a bachelor's degree since its not a requirement for med school.

After reading my situation above, what are my options for going straight into a 5-6 year program for dentistry abroad, and coming back?

Is this even possible, or do I have to finish my 4 years at college before I can apply to schools abroad? What schools/programs can I look into?

I am already taking Bio, Anatomy, Chem and math classes, so as for education, there will not be a big learning gap.

sorry for the sort of long post, but I really feel that my life is going off track, and I need to start doing something now... :scared:

IndianGraduate

10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2006
    1. Dental Student
      hey samsizzle...im a us citizen also...and i pursued dentistry in india for the same fact that my grades werent the best and i was pretty sure i wasnt gonna get into a dental school here unless i picked them up.
      there's a lotta stuff u gotta consider before going abroad to school....depending on which country u would go to i'd say consider the living conditions, distance from friends and family, food etc.
      after spending 5 years in a foreign country...i came back smarter and stronger...but at the cost of becoming very bitter and at times keep in mind that in foreign countries teachers have a habit of putting u down a lot (especiallly if ur from another country) and taking personal jabs at ur self esteem...
      i dont want to scare u....but ur young..if u think u can pick up ur grades, do it. if u cant...make sure u are mentally and emotionally ready to take what the world has for you.

hope i helped.

samsizzle

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Apr 30, 2008
      1. Pre-Dental
        hey samsizzle...im a us citizen also...and i pursued dentistry in india for the same fact that my grades werent the best and i was pretty sure i wasnt gonna get into a dental school here unless i picked them up.
        there's a lotta stuff u gotta consider before going abroad to school....depending on which country u would go to i'd say consider the living conditions, distance from friends and family, food etc.
        after spending 5 years in a foreign country...i came back smarter and stronger...but at the cost of becoming very bitter and at times keep in mind that in foreign countries teachers have a habit of putting u down a lot (especiallly if ur from another country) and taking personal jabs at ur self esteem...
        i dont want to scare u....but ur young..if u think u can pick up ur grades, do it. if u cant...make sure u are mentally and emotionally ready to take what the world has for you.

hope i helped.

thanks for the reply!! wow i havent checked this thread in over 4 months!!

I am still in community college, and by pulling some strings, I will be basically guaranteed admission to ucsd or uci.

I am going to get my bachelors in biology and see where that takes me..

thanks everyone, im out of the 'abroad' stage, people come to the US for a better opportunity, why would i want to leave?

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.