1st semester of community college, what are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just joined this amazing forum.

First of all, let me give some background info.
*US citizen, currently living in California
*Graduated from high school a year ago
*Currently in first year of Community College (not doing as well as I would like :()
*Bio Major, looking to go into Dentistry
*19 years old

I was initially going to transfer from my community college to a 4 year university such as UCLA, etc. But by the way things are going, I will not make it (3.2ish gpa). My chances for UCLA are pretty much non-existant. The best I can do is probably UC Irvine, or UC Riverside.

Now onto the reason of why I am posting in the International Forum...

I really want to get away from here. Life is very mundane and repetitive (not saying thats a bad thing, but I need a change in setting).
I want to go abroad. I do not want to finish my next 3 years here for a bachelor's degree since its not a requirement for med school.

After reading my situation above, what are my options for going straight into a 5-6 year program for dentistry abroad, and coming back?

Is this even possible, or do I have to finish my 4 years at college before I can apply to schools abroad? What schools/programs can I look into?

I am already taking Bio, Anatomy, Chem and math classes, so as for education, there will not be a big learning gap.

sorry for the sort of long post, but I really feel that my life is going off track, and I need to start doing something now... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

hey samsizzle...im a us citizen also...and i pursued dentistry in india for the same fact that my grades werent the best and i was pretty sure i wasnt gonna get into a dental school here unless i picked them up.
there's a lotta stuff u gotta consider before going abroad to school....depending on which country u would go to i'd say consider the living conditions, distance from friends and family, food etc.
after spending 5 years in a foreign country...i came back smarter and stronger...but at the cost of becoming very bitter and at times keep in mind that in foreign countries teachers have a habit of putting u down a lot (especiallly if ur from another country) and taking personal jabs at ur self esteem...
i dont want to scare u....but ur young..if u think u can pick up ur grades, do it. if u cant...make sure u are mentally and emotionally ready to take what the world has for you.

hope i helped.

hey samsizzle...im a us citizen also...and i pursued dentistry in india for the same fact that my grades werent the best and i was pretty sure i wasnt gonna get into a dental school here unless i picked them up.
there's a lotta stuff u gotta consider before going abroad to school....depending on which country u would go to i'd say consider the living conditions, distance from friends and family, food etc.
after spending 5 years in a foreign country...i came back smarter and stronger...but at the cost of becoming very bitter and at times keep in mind that in foreign countries teachers have a habit of putting u down a lot (especiallly if ur from another country) and taking personal jabs at ur self esteem...
i dont want to scare u....but ur young..if u think u can pick up ur grades, do it. if u cant...make sure u are mentally and emotionally ready to take what the world has for you.

hope i helped.

thanks for the reply!! wow i havent checked this thread in over 4 months!!

I am still in community college, and by pulling some strings, I will be basically guaranteed admission to ucsd or uci.

I am going to get my bachelors in biology and see where that takes me..

thanks everyone, im out of the 'abroad' stage, people come to the US for a better opportunity, why would i want to leave?