This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaching19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a first year in college.
So far I have completed 34 units (one course, a 2 unit, is only P/NP, so technically 32 units with grade letters). I passed them all, but the problem is I have subsided to a current 2.8 UC GPA :(:(:(:(.
I took 16 units for 1st quarter and had a 3.5 GPA. Then last quarter, 18 units, 2.1 GPA--totaling 2.8 UC GPA :(:(:(.
Last quarter, I really messed up--I decided to work (1st time) however I wasn't prepared to balance my classes, on top of work, and on top of clubs. So my quarter became very rough and complicated as I tried my best to work around all three things that I valued :unsure::(.
Our final quarter of the year is starting soon and I'm taking 12 units. I'm really bummed...
I chose to slow down my load for the upcoming quarter although I am getting a grasp of balancing because eventually I will need to learn to do so and it will be essential.
Do I still have a shot for at least a 3.5 GPA by the end of the year?
How does this look for MD and DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

What's done is done. You can retake courses that you got less than a B in. Focus on really learning to balance your responsibilities and doing well in your classes from now on and you won't be out of the race for a good chunk of MD and DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
Of course you still have a shot. Learn from your mistakes and really try to work on your faults- clearly something isn't going right. Change the way you study, try different techniques. Learn how to learn. I got a 3.16 my first quarter, and now (senior), I have a 3.75. Be committed to learning from your mistakes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's done is done. You can retake courses that you got less than a B in. Focus on really learning to balance your responsibilities and doing well in your classes from now on and you won't be out of the race for a good chunk of MD and DO schools
Thank you! I truly appreciate your advices.

Of course you still have a shot. Learn from your mistakes and really try to work on your faults- clearly something isn't going right. Change the way you study, try different techniques. Learn how to learn. I got a 3.16 my first quarter, and now (senior), I have a 3.75. Be committed to learning from your mistakes.
Thank you for sharing your words! Your progress is a motivation, inspiration, and hope. Thank you very much!