1st year dental student, Army Reserve Dental Corps.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tRad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently finishing up my 1st year in dental school. So I applied for the HPSP a little while ago and got held up with some paperwork (since I was born outside the US). Long story short I unfortunately did not receive the HPSP. However, I am still very interested in joining the Dental Corps. My recruiter got in contact with me recently and informed me about a program that places me in the Reserves while in dental school. I wasn't able to find much info on this for dental students. How does this program work and how does it compare to a direct commission after graduation? Thank you in advance for helping me with this!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am currently finishing up my 1st year in dental school. So I applied for the HPSP a little while ago and got held up with some paperwork (since I was born outside the US). Long story short I unfortunately did not receive the HPSP. However, I am still very interested in joining the Dental Corps. My recruiter got in contact with me recently and informed me about a program that places me in the Reserves while in dental school. I wasn't able to find much info on this for dental students. How does this program work and how does it compare to a direct commission after graduation? Thank you in advance for helping me with this!
Not aware of a program in the Reserves for dental students, so I can't offer much insight. I know the National Guard used to have a program like that, but I don't believe they still offer it.

I found it, it's actually called the Medical and Dental Student Stipend Program (MDSSP). Not so sure about the pros/cons about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply for 2 year HPSP? Don't know if it is worth it for you..

If you really want to be in the military dental I would suggest you graduate dental and go directly into active duty. You get 75k sign on bonus and you can serve 3-4 years

Once you are in the military and like it then you can also apply for HPLRP it is 40k before taxes for 3 years. This obligates you 3 years on top of what you owe.

Also, you can do PLFP public loan forgiveness. 120 payments straght for federal loand and the remaining balance is paid off. you can do IBR to keep payments low, its not that beneficial since you will make a lot but still something.

If you do reserves it sounds nice but i believe you will obligate yourself for a long time...1 year obligation for 6months help? that is 8 years obligation for 4 year help....

Finally, if you do 3 years active duty you can get 100% post 9/11 gi bill if you decide to get out in the future and want to specialize on your own time. Heck you may love the military and just do 20 and get specialty training through them?

Honestly reserves is great but you won't get the full flavor of military life unless you do a tour full time.....

I forgot if military doesn't work out you got other options

You can join Public Health Service - it is basically military but you work on Coast Guard or Indian Health service or Federal prison. Basically you are a civilian but wear Navy uniform and get all the military pay and benefits

NSHC - you can work in underserved area mainly remote indian reservations and get loans paid off. I think military or public health is better option

Or if you insist on reserves i recommend you work for VA

If you work for VA you get a pension through them, and you can get a reserve military pension as well when you retire. Since it is VA you can get activated to active duty and you can come back months down the line and your job is there when you return.....basically, you can serve your country do as many active duty stints in reserves and have a job ready for you when you get back.....

I know an Oral surgeon who works for VA; he gets called for weeks, months stints on active duty. finishes it up and returns back to the VA and back to work.

It's a fantastic option

Look at the big picture and ask yourself what you want to do......be smart about this and think hard...

I forgot if military doesn't work out you got other options

You can join Public Health Service - it is basically military but you work on Coast Guard or Indian Health service or Federal prison. Basically you are a civilian but wear Navy uniform and get all the military pay and benefits

NSHC - you can work in underserved area mainly remote indian reservations and get loans paid off. I think military or public health is better option

Or if you insist on reserves i recommend you work for VA

If you work for VA you get a pension through them, and you can get a reserve military pension as well when you retire. Since it is VA you can get activated to active duty and you can come back months down the line and your job is there when you return.....basically, you can serve your country do as many active duty stints in reserves and have a job ready for you when you get back.....

I know an Oral surgeon who works for VA; he gets called for weeks, months stints on active duty. finishes it up and returns back to the VA and back to work.

It's a fantastic option

Look at the big picture and ask yourself what you want to do......be smart about this and think hard...
A few corrections:

The VA is not the military and the 2 are not related. The pension you get is the same as what they have for the post office or other "non-military" government pensions - you owe 25 yrs to get it. Salaries vary by location and are not the same everywhere. You search www.usajobs.gov to see them.

Your friend may be in the Reserves/Guard if he gets called up for different periods of time. You can do those 2 together.

Army rarely gives out a 1 or 2 yr HPSP...do not count on that being an option.

The reserve loan repayment option will give you $250k for a 6 yr obligation.

A few corrections:

The VA is not the military and the 2 are not related. The pension you get is the same as what they have for the post office or other "non-military" government pensions - you owe 25 yrs to get it. Salaries vary by location and are not the same everywhere. You search www.usajobs.gov to see them.

Your friend may be in the Reserves/Guard if he gets called up for different periods of time. You can do those 2 together.

Army rarely gives out a 1 or 2 yr HPSP...do not count on that being an option.

The reserve loan repayment option will give you $250k for a 6 yr obligation.
krmower

Good point on VA it is not the military

What i was saying is that you can do military in reserves and work civilian and have benefits from both.

he can do 25 years VA, 20 reserves and have 2 pensions lined up in the future....before i get another correction reserve pension is drawn at 60 =) You can do both at the same time

As for pay variance it depends on your experience and since you are new grad and not veteran it is a very very difficult job to get.

Reserve loan payment 250k/6 year.....look at National Guard they also offer it.

Wow, I really appreciate this info!! I only wish my recruiter was this informative, I honestly don't know if my application was even reviewed at the boards, I felt like my recruiter wasn't helpful/supportive. He called me two weeks ago to inform me that I did not receive a scholarship because there were none left, not because I was rejected. My application process was discouraging (I had to resend certain documents multiple times, redo the whole app. in paper, etc..) but I busted my balls for a year while in school trying to get a 3 year hpsp. Nevertheless I've always wanted to be in the Military but unfortunately I go to an expensive instate private school, I will have accumulated around $500k after graduation (including interest). I really want to join and go active after graduation but I am very insecure now after going through the application cycle and being misled. I just don't want to be drowning in debt for ever :( I was seriously thinking about joining the reserves but most people I spoke to told me not to do it. Again, I really appreciate the information you provided!

tRad

TIme to move on and ask yourself the next question What do i do now

Seems like HPSP is not going to happen

You will have what almost 500K?? How is this possible. NYU/USC with maximum loans is 400k??

Anyhow, if you are going to have 500k loan after graduation you will have to put on your business cap

Get out look for associateship in rural or out of major city area. Go CE, ask advice, read books, anything on opening practice/ buying practice / running practice.

Go to ownership route as soon as you are comfortable and ready....

Become the best dang dentist out there and run a tight business that will bring patients in....

You are now a practice owner.......

I'm generalizing but you have to understand something...most people don't go military route; most people have a lot of debt like you

It's gonna be rough but if you are smart you will go income based repayment stretch out that student loan forever and work on building your practice

When you are successful practice owner you will be able to manage your student loans and ride off into the sunset.....

Your advantage? You may have had it rough but you spent the 4 years building a practice while your military friends are now looking/buying practice.

Something to ponder

There is a thread title "lets open a practice" start reading my friend

I have a lot of friends who are doing fine they went to USC came out with heavy loans and none are starving or dying or looking for a new profession.......they looked for the opportunities and went for it...........that is the key.......

PS; study hard and go specialize if you don't want ownership route; specialty is great option if you want high salary without ownership headaches.....