1st yr uni curiosities about dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolwhut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... This is my official cry for help i don't know why I've been so anxious about this.

This is my first year in university (U of Manitoba... that's in Canada just in case anyone's wondering) and I'm just so confused about this whole dentistry thing... I really REALLY REALLY want to get in on my first try, and I also don't really want to get a degree either, I just really want to get into the College of Dentistry in U of M.. maybe even elsewhere in Canada.

Here's my current situation...

For my first year in university I'm expecting a gpa of 3.68 or higher.. really depends on what I get in calculus (i hate math). This should have been a 4.06 but i slacked off in stats... I got a D... i literally crammed for the finals of that exam like a few hours before i can't believe I didn't fail. yeah i really hate math.

I will be in uni for another 2 yrs after this because that's just how the schedule plays out with the min credit requirement of 24 credits for 2 fall/winter years and the fact that I don't want to take more than four courses each term... so I'm planning to apply after Winter 2019 (around april).

I also will start volunteering at the Human Society (I have an orientation on Friday) and will join the music ministry at my church hopefully before summer.

They only accept 23 people every year... and usually around 180-200 people apply. The min. core course avg (the sciences) of applicants in 2016 was 3.6 and the min. DAT avg was 18.667.

QUESTIONS

- How good do you guys think my chances are getting in on my first try, and without a degree? From what I read, students with and without degrees are on equal grounds.
- Do you guys think it's necessary in getting a degree before applying to dentistry?
- Do you guys think I should start studying for the DAT now?
- How would shadowing a dentist benefit me? My dentist has offered the opportunity to me, even bringing me in some of the labs at my target dental school since she teaches there.
- Besides the core courses (bio, chem, O-chem, biochem, and physics).. what other courses should I take that will help me in dental school?
- When I actually become a dentist, I want to eventually set up my own practice with friends and family that are also pursuing dentistry. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

I know, I have a lot of questions. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible because I know there are people here that are much smarter and experienced than I am.

THANKS FOR READING THIS AND GOOD LUCK TO THOSE APPLYING OR CONGRATS TO THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN GRANTED INTERVIEWS OR HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED WUAW BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU'VE DONE. YOU HAVE JUST ACHIEVED ONE OF MY LIFETIME GOALS.

Thanks again, really.

Members don't see this ad.

Reply to what course you should take: whatever gives you the highest GPA

When to start studying for the DAT: 3-5 months before the DAT if you want 24+AA (although you will feel burned out after like 1.5 months)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm no expert but it's hard to get in from a Canadian school WITH a degree. You'd have to have amazing stats to get in without one, and I don't think the D will help at all. Just go the traditional route and save the sweat and tears. And absolutely not on the studying for the DAT now. You haven't even taken ochem.
Just relax, there's no rush. Have fun in college and enjoy the education you're given.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user