2.3 gpa is there hope plz read my story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hear what some are saying about nursing, and its something I am considering. I plan on getting cna asap to see how I would like that kind of role. How did you manage to change from low gpa to getting high marks consistently? What kind of clinical experience did you choose?
It seems you keep not understanding that nurse and NP are different things. Doing nursing is just the pathway to get an NP. Also doing CNA is not like doing RN

Members don't see this ad.

It seems you keep not understanding that nurse and NP are different things. Doing nursing is just the pathway to get an NP. Also doing CNA is not like doing RN
NP is a nurse with advanced education and broader scope of practice that can work independently in most states. NP is a nurse. It's not different. It's not physical therapist or physician assistant. NPs still wear a badge that says RN - registered nurse. Though NPs daily tasks differ from floor nurse, they are still nurses. Floor nurse manager is still a nurse despite that their job tasks are different.

Triage nurses can perform tasks that differ from floor nurses, but they are still nurses. DNP degrees let nurses do more or differ tasks, but it doesnt mean they stop being nurses and become doctors.

NP is a nurse with advanced education and broader scope of practice that can work independently in most states. NP is a nurse. It's not different. It's not physical therapist or physician assistant. NPs still wear a badge that says RN - registered nurse. Though NPs daily tasks differ from floor nurse, they are still nurses. Floor nurse manager is still a nurse despite that their job tasks are different.

Triage nurses can perform tasks that differ from floor nurses, but they are still nurses. DNP degrees let nurses do more or differ tasks, but it doesnt mean they stop being nurses and become doctors.
God, you must be fun at parties with your pedantic attitude

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not me who made illogical argument.
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know I'm arguing that the role of an NP and a floor nurse are vastly different, but apparently in this case I'm asking too much of you

If I do become a nurse (2 year RN) I will have to peactice for 4 years before I can apply to an NP program this is what I read online) and acceptance isnt guaranteed. So Im afraid I may end up wasting 6 years doing that route though I agree its the safest route to a health related career.

I talked to 2 engineering college admissions and both told me to take and do well (As) in additional math and science coursework. My last full semester gpa was 3.7 and I need to have another great semester (or 2) to show that I have handled what my issues were in the past. Then they said I should take the GRE (not sure which) and apply to grad school. For now it seems I should focus on coursework and take it from there.

If I do become a nurse (2 year RN) I will have to peactice for 4 years before I can apply to an NP program this is what I read online) and acceptance isnt guaranteed. So Im afraid I may end up wasting 6 years doing that route though I agree its the safest route to a health related career.

I talked to 2 engineering college admissions and both told me to take and do well (As) in additional math and science coursework. My last full semester gpa was 3.7 and I need to have another great semester (or 2) to show that I have handled what my issues were in the past. Then they said I should take the GRE (not sure which) and apply to grad school. For now it seems I should focus on coursework and take it from there.
I have never heard of this. I have heard of this being the case for CRNA. From my understanding there are so many NP programs out there that it shouldn't be hard to get into one or need experience. There are programs that give you an accelerated RN and go immediately into NP. I would definitely investigate more.

OP, the end result following grad school is tough in this current climate. I don't think the 2 year RN to DNP (many programs, some online) sounds crazy or out there. You would finish with a good career regardless.

I also suggest considering trying to get into podiatry school, This is still an uphill battle, but a strong MCAT could do a lot. Take a cursory AAMC practice test after some studying and see how you do. Report the results here

Okay and yes an accelerated RN to NP sounds better. Im definately going to shadow an NP. Idk enough about podiatry, I will investigate more and ofc kerp my options open.

Okay and yes an accelerated RN to NP sounds better. Im definately going to shadow an NP. Idk enough about podiatry, I will investigate more and ofc kerp my options open.
I am really sorry to hear about the position you're in. I agree with the above posters that NP would be your best bet. Also, don't compare the roles of a CNA to an RN. I know many RN's who worked as CNA's while in school, and they hated it and it was nothing like what they do as an RN. As mentioned above, the same can be said of an RN and NP. So, keep that in mind. Also, there are many NP schools that have small requirement as working as an RN prior to admittance, but all of the ones I have seen are way less than 4 years experience. I also know many schools will take their RN grads directly into their NP programs (at least in my area). Best of luck to you!

Well Im taking with labs calc based chem 1, physics 1, and calc2. Ill have to repeat orgo 1 eventho i got a B since I didnt learn it just memorized it. Ugh Idk if I can do this all over again....wish me luck.

Just wanted to chime in here:

Yes, NPs are technically nurses.

But being an NP or CRNA is *not* nursing.

Reactions: 1 users
Well Im taking with labs calc based chem 1, physics 1, and calc2. Ill have to repeat orgo 1 eventho i got a B since I didnt learn it just memorized it. Ugh Idk if I can do this all over again....wish me luck.
I would not recommend re-taking orgo 1 or any other class where you got B or better. This is not advised.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not recommend re-taking orgo 1 or any other class where you got B or better. This is not advised.
It sounds like she needs a refresher so I would recommend auditing if you can

Some schools will screen you below a 3.0, but there are plenty that won't. I've reached out to a lot of different schools and have been told to apply with a sub-3.0 cGPA and have even been called a competitive applicant. I know everyone spouts 3.0 as the magic number that you need to get above, but with a good narrative, strong MCAT score, and a long enough record of sustained academic success the door to med school isn't closed if you can't get above a 3.0.

Edit: That isn't to say the chances are necessarily great, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility.
Some schools will screen you below a 3.0, but there are plenty that won't. I've reached out to a lot of different schools and have been told to apply with a sub-3.0 cGPA and have even been called a competitive applicant. I know everyone spouts 3.0 as the magic number that you need to get above, but with a good narrative, strong MCAT score, and a long enough record of sustained academic success the door to med school isn't closed if you can't get above a 3.0.

Edit: That isn't to say the chances are necessarily great, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility.
Can you please tell me what schools you talked to that told you to apply with the Sub. 3.0 GPA? and what schools would you recommend applying to with a sub-3.0 gpa?

Can you please tell me what schools you talked to that told you to apply with the Sub. 3.0 GPA? and what schools would you recommend applying to with a sub-3.0 gpa?

It really all depends on the rest of your application. How is your MCAT and your ECs? Also, do you have an upward trend? Sub-3.0 without significant improvement prior to applying is going to get your application trashed 99% of the time.

It really all depends on the rest of your application. How is your MCAT and your ECs? Also, do you have an upward trend? Sub-3.0 without significant improvement prior to applying is going to get your application trashed 99% of the time.
Applying to med school with a sub 3.0 GPA is an incredibly risky move. I would not recommend applying anywhere until GPA gets over a 3.0 and to be safe at least a 3.4 depending on MCAT score for DO. Not sure where you heard this info but I think you should talk to some other sources before further advice is given on this topic

Applying to med school with a sub 3.0 GPA is an incredibly risky move. I would not recommend applying anywhere until GPA gets over a 3.0 and to be safe at least a 3.4 depending on MCAT score for DO. Not sure where you heard this info but I think you should talk to some other sources before further advice is given on this topic

I'm currently applying with a sub-3.0 GPA and have passed multiple secondary screens for allopathic schools that actually screen and have an interview at DO school. I've done extensive research on this topic because it applies directly to me so I'm not just talking out of my ***.

I'm currently applying with a sub-3.0 GPA and have passed multiple secondary screens for allopathic schools that actually screen and have an interview at DO school. I've done extensive research on this topic because it applies directly to me so I'm not just talking out of my ***.
To be fair you also have an amazing MCAT and an impeccable postbacc. OP is in a far different situation than you are.

To be fair you also have an amazing MCAT and an impeccable postbacc. OP is in a far different situation than you are.

I was responding to someone else other than the OP who was wondering about school lists, but I'd definitely agree that the original OP is not in a good spot. I'm definitely in a position that most people don't find themselves in either after trying to repair their GPA which I'm very fortunate for as well.

I don’t think anyone should advise OP on applying to Med school or PA school in the US. That is going to be a giant waste of time, money and energy.

The only way for you to become a physician would be to go to the Caribbean. It will be much easier to work on improving your credit score to be eligible for loans than to work on improving your GPA.

The PA route is also long gone with your GPA.

The only doctorate degree you might have a chance in pursuing is pharmacy if you can get your GPA to around a 2.5 and do well on the PCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last time I checked, there were a couple pharmacy schools that did grade replacement. That could be an option.

I don’t think anyone should advise OP on applying to Med school or PA school in the US. That is going to be a giant waste of time, money and energy.

The only way for you to become a physician would be to go to the Caribbean. It will be much easier to work on improving your credit score to be eligible for loans than to work on improving your GPA.

The only doctorate degree you might have a chance in pursuing is pharmacy if you can get your GPA to around a 2.5 and do well on the PCAT.

Had no clue you had a 3.9 pbGPA and a 518 MCAT haha this is an incredibly different story. You're fine and I foresee a lot of IIs this cycle. A sub-3.0 without a post-bacc is an incredibly different story and most applicants would get screened out for it. Good luck in the cycle

Had no clue you had a 3.9 pbGPA and a 518 MCAT haha this is an incredibly different story. You're fine and I foresee a lot of IIs this cycle. A sub-3.0 without a post-bacc is an incredibly different story and most applicants would get screened out for it. Good luck in the cycle

Thank you! You're generally right in your original post though, but the guy I was responding to gave me no background information so I wasn't sure where he stood. I would normally tell people to not even consider it though.

Podiatry?

If your current tag is real, you are speaking very prematurely. I'm glad to see you have a strong MCAT and a great turnaround on your post-bacc, but you'd be surprised at how little a secondary is of value. You may want to come back and talk here once your cycle ends if it turns out how you expect it to.

If your current tag is real, you are speaking very prematurely. I'm glad to see you have a strong MCAT and a great turnaround on your post-bacc, but you'd be surprised at how little a secondary is of value. You may want to come back and talk here once your cycle ends if it turns out how you expect it to.

Well, considering I already got one more II than I expected I'm happy with it. :laugh: I know normally secondaries are meaningless, but I spoke with multiple schools prior to applying and got really good feedback. The acceptance grid for MCAT/GPA also has about 42% of applicants in my range that was accepted. The sample size is aggressively low though so the only thing you can really take away from it is that there's at least a shot to get accepted and with where I started from that's all I can ask.

Agreed with everyone about the secoundary screens. Schools send out secoundaries like candy because its more app $$.

What matters are the II and the acceptances or waitlists, and at what school. Some schools waitlist a ton and dont have a lot of movement, others will only invite you for an interview if you have a reasonable shot at getting in.

With your comeback and MCAT, I could see a DO schools giving you the thumbs up. That is 10+ points higher than most DO applicants, and you rocked your Post bacc. If all else fails and you dont get accepted, Id look into an SMP with linkage to DO or MD (that MCAT puts you in the running for MD schools if you can get past the GPA with the SMP).

Good luck, hope this helps.

Your excellent MCAT and post bac gpa should cover up many earlier sins. Medicine is not for everyone. There are many routine and mundane aspects to being a good physician who doesn't let things fall through the cracks. My only concern would be validating your work ethic. I have had several very bright, but lazy residents in the past who felt these mundane tasks were beneath them and not being part of an excellent physician. You cant be an excellent doctor without this gritty aspect to your personality. Stress your work ethic in interviews and you should be in good shape. Best wishes and good luck!

Well, considering I already got one more II than I expected I'm happy with it. :laugh: I know normally secondaries are meaningless, but I spoke with multiple schools prior to applying and got really good feedback. The acceptance grid for MCAT/GPA also has about 42% of applicants in my range that was accepted. The sample size is aggressively low though so the only thing you can really take away from it is that there's at least a shot to get accepted and with where I started from that's all I can ask.
Youll get in somewhere if you applied broadly with no glaring red flags in your app. I wouldnt be concerned

Just wanted to update some of the people that posted in this thread that were helpful. Received a DO acceptance last week and then received an MD one on Tuesday. Thrilled beyond words!

Reactions: 5 users
I just made a new post but here is an update, I am retaking chem 1 but doing the honors class since I took the lab separately and taking Calc based physics again ( the first time I didn't even try, that was the semester after my father passed away and I hadn't even taken calc yet). I have As in both but have a C borderline D in calc 2 which is really hurting me. I'm studying but can't perform on the exams. I have 2 exams left and a final in that class.

I just made a new post but here is an update, I am retaking chem 1 but doing the honors class since I took the lab separately and taking Calc based physics again ( the first time I didn't even try, that was the semester after my father passed away and I hadn't even taken calc yet). I have As in both but have a C borderline D in calc 2 which is really hurting me. I'm studying but can't perform on the exams. I have 2 exams left and a final in that class.
Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, those are fixable, and need to be addressed.

Just wanted to update some of the people that posted in this thread that were helpful. Received a DO acceptance last week and then received an MD one on Tuesday. Thrilled beyond words!
Congratulations!!! This gives me hope. I have a sub-3.0 GPA but did a post-bacc (4.0) and Health science masters (3.8).

@Anna1732

I would recommend that if you pursue another degree / more training, that you pick something that you want to do / would be another career option if medical school does not work out. So, you could certainly explore nursing -- but I would only do that if you could see yourself as a nurse for your career. Same with Chem Eng. You need a plan B now, anything you do going forward should be working towards both medical school and your Plan B.