2.5 undergrad but 4.0 for grad? How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slave4MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read many of the posts on this bulletin. Interestingly, a good chunk of them involves non-traditional applicants who received around 2.0 - 3.0 gpas. They claim to have gone for an MS program in which they aced with perfect 4.0 gpas.

I usually hear the same thing in the pre-med forums as well. It's always the story of a rejected undergrad who goes for grad work and then gets a 4.0.

How common is this? Does this happen frequently because anything 3.0 is considered to be a low, merely-passing grade in MS/PhD programs? Is it because of the heavy MS courseload that imposes leniency on grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by slave4MD
I read many of the posts on this bulletin. Interestingly, a good chunk of them involves non-traditional applicants who received around 2.0 - 3.0 gpas. They claim to have gone for an MS program in which they aced with perfect 4.0 gpas.

I usually hear the same thing in the pre-med forums as well. It's always the story of a rejected undergrad who goes for grad work and then gets a 4.0.

How common is this? Does this happen frequently because anything 3.0 is considered to be a low, merely-passing grade in MS/PhD programs? Is it because of the heavy MS courseload that imposes leniency on grades?

Perhaps you might inquire what these masters and PhD programs are like, before spouting preconceived theories about leniency in grading and maybe offend somebody else in the process like you did in the other thread.. Then again, you are being intentionally haughty to get some kicks, isn't that right? Just in case you think you are being subtle, You're Not.

For those who actually do want to know, unlike bachelors' programs, graduate programs focus solely on the student's subject of interest and familiarity. The implications on the how the student would perform is obvious.

In addition, most masters and PhD programs tend to have far smaller classes than most undergraduate courses. The smallest I've seen is 4 students in a seminar course. At the graduate level instructors are more proactive towards students, and give far more personal attention to the degree candidate, especially if it is a thesis program which requires research.

Your average 22-year-old masters candidate is probably more mature than when he or she just started freshman year at 18. Not surprisingly these students would be more likely to keep up with the course work.

In a nutshell, those who were given a second chance in a graduate program after a poor showing in college do indeed tend to do better.

As usual there are more facets to the issue than you assume.

Slave4MD

As UBTom stated, with age comes maturity and an older student who takes the effort to enroll in a master?s program is unlikely to do poorly. As an undergraduate, I found it very difficult to study. I was more interested in partying and getting drunk. After working for six years and then starting a masters program I found school much easier although the courses were more challenging. Also, after working in the field of science, I found the classes more interesting.

When it comes to poor undergraduate grades, some schools will look the other way if you?ve done well in a masters program although some will not. My undergraduate science GPA was around a 2.5 and my graduate science GPA a 4.0. Because I?ve taken many more classes in undergrad, my cumulative science GPA is still only a 2.8. I?ve managed to get 3 interviews so far. In the two interviews I?ve attended, my undergraduate grades didn?t really even come up. They were more interested in what I was doing now. With that said, I emailed the admissions coordinator at UMDNJ yesterday to find out the status of my application. I got a response later that day saying that they have not decided yet whether to grant me an interview because my cumulative science GPA falls below their acceptable level. I replied to her stating that my undergrad grades do not reflect the student that I am today and asked that the admissions committee to please take into consideration my improved grade trend during undergrad and my current 4.0 science GPA. I also CC?d the director of admissions. I probably won?t get an interview there and many of the other schools I?ve applied to but that is why I applied to 15 schools. Bottom line, some schools will overlook poor undergraduate grades with good graduate grades and some won?t. You have to determine how strong of an applicant you are and apply wisely.

Best of luck with your Ph.D./MD/DDS/DMD pursuits.

EcoRI

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and one more thing. Even though I?m older and more mature I still enjoy partying and getting drunk.
:)

But for MS and PhD programs, 4.0's are usually common, right?

You rarely see kids getting 3.0's, don't you?