2.6 cumgpa w/ F's and D's on transcript... should i even try?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by sssshinneed, Jun 3, 2018.

1. sssshinneed

Hey y'all,

so im currently trying to decide if its even worth applying this year or at all for Pharmacy School at NEOMED in ohio. im a junior at a partner school of NEOMED's. i have held leadership roles 2+ years include prepharm club. i volunteer monthly in the community gonna start in the hospital soon. have 40hrs of shadowing. LOR from biochem professor as well as pharmacy manager where i have been working 2+ as a certified tech. heres where i get the "ehhh's" from. my first 2.5 years in college i didn't focus on my gpa and it fluctuated. i got a D twice in a class before passing it with a C, and an F in one critical class for pharm school (which i plan to retake). however started improving by getting B+ in biochem 400 level. what do y'all think are my chances applying first priority to NEOMED and actually being considered?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigBoss

You might get in depending on the schools you apply to and their minimum gpa requirements. But think about it this way, will you be able to handle the rigors of pharmacy school considering your undergrad performance is subpar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BidingMyTime and lalaland33 like this.
  4. BC_89

If schools need seats to fill you may get a slot. You shouldn’t be considered....but you might.

If by some chance you do get in, you will fail at the pace you have demonstrated:17+ credit hours of nothing but science / calculations. No second chances for a retake. The standards to get in have been lowered, but that doesn’t mean the academic rigors of pharmacy are easy...just think to yourself if another semester of upper level science courses will ease your transition....don’t rush..... the schools aren’t going anywhere and saturation has already been anchored. Good luck

5. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Saisri_PharmStdnt Class of 2023 Hopeful

Pre-Pharmacy
    In addition to previous comments, I think to have a chance, you'd also need to explain well in your application essays why you did poorly, and how you plan to avoid such a pitfall in pharmacy school - what would you do differently, how you would avoid previous mistakes, what did you learn from those previous mistakes?

6. stoichiometrist

As others have said, you could get in but that is the easiest part since schools are desperate to fill their seats for that sweet tuition money. Graduating, passing the NAPLEX and MPJE, and landing a job in this saturated market are the hard parts.