2.8 CC semester grade + 3.52 UC quarter grade =?

Started by butters149
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

butters149

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

How would I calculate my cumulative uGrad GPA if my CC semester GPA was around 2.8 and my UC CC quarter grades were 3.52? Both are cumulative. I have been trying to figure this out but no idea how to do it.

Thanks
 
You're going to have to be a bit more specific, I'm afraid. You can't merely take your cum GPA from both places and find the average, even if they were both semester GPAs (In the case of the quarter GPAs it gets a bit more complicated).

To illustrate this, imagine I go to school for three years at a university and maintain a 3.9 GPA with taking 18 credits per semester, and finish up at another university taking 12 credits per semester and have a 2.5 GPA. Taking the average of 2.5 and 3.9 gives me 3.2 cum GPA; this, however, is not the correct cum because you didn't give proper weight to the amount of credits you accumulated with a 3.9. In fact, your GPA would be 3.46.

First, spend some time trying to calculate your semester gpa from your quarter gpa at the institution that gave you quarter grades. Then you should have no problem adding up everything appropriately. If you do, feel free to PM me and I can help out.
 
This is just math, and you should be able to sit down and reason it out. We still have to do math after med school.

convertjn0.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

How would I calculate my cumulative uGrad GPA if my CC semester GPA was around 2.8 and my UC CC quarter grades were 3.52? Both are cumulative. I have been trying to figure this out but no idea how to do it.

Thanks
i know at ucla, they convert all your semester units into comparable quarter units on your DPR (degree progress report)
just use that unit value x grade point for each grade. add them all together and divide by the total units accumulated.
 
thanks, so it looks like in semester terms my gpa would be 3.08 =/ and in quarter terms it would be 3.215, not looking too good. A total of 101 quarter units and 105 semester units.
 
Last edited:
thanks, so it looks like in semester terms my gpa would be 3.08 =/ and in quarter terms it would be 3.215, not looking too good. A total of 101 quarter units and 105 semester units.

I must not be understanding you correctly; your GPA is your GPA is your GPA... It doesn't matter if you calculate it based on quarters or semesters. If you get a different answer when doing these calculations you are doing something incorrectly.
 
Those are the cumulative gpa of semester and quarter combined. I have calculated it in semester terms and quarter terms just to see what the differnce would be.
 
thanks, so it looks like in semester terms my gpa would be 3.08 =/ and in quarter terms it would be 3.215, not looking too good. A total of 101 quarter units and 105 semester units.

Check your math: you got the semester one right. Whether you calculate on semesters or quarters, the total cumulative GPA either way is identical. 3.08.

How far do you have to go before you get your undergrad degree? Think about adding a year or more to get your cumulative numbers up. My personal minimum comfort baseline for MD school apps is cumulative 3.4 with a 30+ MCAT, DO school 3.1 with a 27+ MCAT.
 
Ok for some reason I thought the cumulative gpa in quarter terms would be higher. I have already finished my undergrad. I am ready to apply for a 2nd bach and take some pre-reqs. My state college said they only accept 10 students for the pre-med program and they are looking for students with science courses in their transcripts. I have only one since I was a econ major.