2.8 GPA undergrad, 3.9 GPA post-bacc, 28 first MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaaa123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.8 cGPA from undergrad, 3.9 GPA from 1 year of post-bacc, 28 on first MCAT before post-bacc.
im planning on taking the MCAT again in a few months and am hoping to get at LEAST a 33 on it.
based on just these numbers alone, what are my chances for DO or low/middle tier MD schools? Will they even look at my application? I know there are many other factors that will come into play (personal statement, EC's, letters, etc), but I want to know about where I stand as of now.... hoping to apply this coming cycle. :(

Members don't see this ad.

2.8 cGPA from undergrad, 3.9 GPA from 1 year of post-bacc, 28 on first MCAT before post-bacc.
im planning on taking the MCAT again in a few months and am hoping to get at LEAST a 33 on it.
based on just these numbers alone, what are my chances for DO or low/middle tier MD schools? Will they even look at my application? I know there are many other factors that will come into play (personal statement, EC's, letters, etc), but I want to know about where I stand as of now.... hoping to apply this coming cycle. :(

What is your cumulative sGPA and cGPA when you combine your undergrad and post bac grades? Do those numbers count every attempt of every course, or only the better grade for any retakes?

I got into a state MD program with a 3.2 undergrad and a 3.9 in graduate school. I had a 30 and 31 on my MCAT (three years apart from one another).

It wasn't easy to say the least. Good news is that I'm now in my fourth year in medical school and I have the highest GPA that I have ever had (including elementary school to now). You can be a great student, just have to explain why you think you should be there and convince the committee that you are not someone they should worry about.

Whoa I have really really similar stats to you except my sGPA is 2.8 and I'm gunning for a 3.9-4.0 in my current post Bacc and expecting a 27-29 on my MCAT that ill find out about in a few weeks. If all goes well cGPA should be 3.3-3.4 and sGPA will be 3.0-3.1.

As another poster said is the 2.8 with the post Bacc included? If not do that calculation and you should be good if you apply broadly to MD schools as long as both your GPAs are above 3.0.