Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

2.85 GPA. Where do go?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by audxyang, Mar 20, 2018.

1. audxyang

Pre-Pharmacy
    My GPA is 2.85 and my science GPA is 2.9.
    I am a junior in college and I'm trying to improve my grade.

Which school should I apply to?

I am considering LIU, ACPHS, NOVA, and LECOM.

Do I have a chance?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AH.Rx

Pharmacy Student
    Post this in the pharmacy forum. See what they say.

quickpic007 likes this.
  4. asd.qwe

Pre-Pharmacy
    NOVA! They only require 2.0 GPA

5. Melazine

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    pharmacy schools no longer requre a valid GPA due to lack of applicants and poor job outlook for the graduates. You can apply anywhere.

6. audxyang

Pre-Pharmacy
    hm no I looked. They required 2.75

7. audxyang

Pre-Pharmacy
    I saw some of my friends got rejected because their GPA was not good enough (2.80ish~) and PCAT is ~40 percentile

8. Melazine

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm sorry that your friends got rejected, it must have been their bad luck. I would not trust the GPA requirements on their websites. I knew plenty of people got into pharmacy school with GPA <3.0. However, you should seriously consider reading the pharmacy forum before applying to any pharmacy school (see links below). The job market and pharmacy board exam pass rates are very low right now. ACPHS has the highest NAPLEX pass rate among the schools you mentioned, but the education I got from there was disappointing. Very rude professors and students. Tuition increases every year. Two of my classmates graduated ACPHS in 2016, one of them finally got a job in 2018, she only works 2 hours a week with less than $30/hour pay rate. The other friend (who was not born in the US) gave up and became a housewife. Although they all got in with >3.5 GPA, but it didn't matter. I even got a phone call from a despirate pharmacy resident the other day asking if we were hiring. Sigh....

Please read: NAPLEX pass rate, Pharmacy job outlook? , I feel so bad for each and everyone of you, How bad is the job market in your area?, Insight and Regrets of Pharmacy Students

Once you have read all those, please educate your parents or friends if they suggested pharmacy. If this was your dream career, I'm sure none of these discouragments matter, right?

Best of luck!

#7 Melazine, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    ChemTiger likes this.
  9. Bareitashvilli

Bareitashvilli Pharmacy Student

They require 2.0 Sciences gpa but overall GPA 2.75 you're right

10. audxyang

Pre-Pharmacy
    Tbh i need to get into pharm school so I can stay in the US for couple more years, and then the PharmD degree will help a lot once I come back to my country and get a good job. (I am international student)

I am studying for PCAT and still have Orgo chem, microbiology classes to improve my GPA.

However I don't have any pharm experience.

Do I have a chance? I am very worried...

11. Melazine

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ahh I see. Yes you have a chance, just apply to them all if you don't care about the job market in the US. ACPHS has a Vermont campus too, they have been short on applicants. It's a tough school though, I knew quite a few people dropped out midway. Get some volunteer experiences in pharmacy might help.

audxyang likes this.
  12. audxyang

Pre-Pharmacy
    thank you! I applied to CVS and Walgreens but I got rejected because i didn't have retail experience, still trying...

13. Silverpolish

Pharmacy Student
    Just with that, probably not. You need to add other things. I have a lower GPA but I got accepted to 2 out of 2 schools I interviewed at so far. Still got more interviews too. I have good EC's, including president of a sorority, 2+ years volunteering at Planned Parenthood, 1+ years pharm tech, and (technically) non-traditional applicant bc I left college and went back after 2 years.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using SDN mobile

ChemTiger likes this.
  14. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Getting into pharmacy school is no longer much of an accomplishment now that practically anyone who is willing to sign away $200k+ in loans can get in.

15. Pharm0112

Pharmacist
    Do not listen to these people up here! super discouraging & false statements about job market and stuff. Go forward if you want to be in this field. Apply to schools and willing to relocate for internship and jobs.

upcomingDentist likes this.
  16. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Speaking of false advertisements about the job market, are you referring to the pharmacy schools that keep claiming there will be a shortage of pharmacists and will accept almost anyone who applies so that they can collect $200k per head?

17. lalaland33

Pharmacy Student
    They're not wrong about the job market. but it's up to each person to make an informed decision by doing their own research in conjunction with statements from actual pharmacists who are just reporting what they see in their field.

18. master-dissertations

DO/PhD Student
    I wonder how much plastic surgeons studies require?

19. Pharm0112

Pharmacist
    such a complete bs statement

20. Jaderose

I have 2.85 GPA haven't taken anatomy and physiology yet..No pharmacy volunteer experience but I have

a lot of research experience (USDA and university )

emergency department volunteer hours

Leadership experience: student government senator for 2 years, leadership award, leadership training certificate

Work: private tutor, retail associAte and intern at leukemia lymphoma society

I did not take PCAT because some pharmacy schools does not require it

Do I have a chance to ANY pharmacy school ?

21. lalaland33

Pharmacy Student
    How are your chemistry (Gen Chems, Ochems, and Biochems) scores?
    Do you have any pharmacy experience (shadowing, volunteer, or work experience)?

22. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Who knows, maybe you can just show up on the first day of class to see if a school has any seats open. I'm sure there are plenty of schools that would love to fill their seats.

BidingMyTime likes this.
  23. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    1) Yes, you have a chance on many pharmacy schools. Some pharmacy schools have lengthened their deadline, because they haven't received enough applicants to fill their seats. There are plenty of posts on here, from people who've been accepted to pharmacy school with lower than the supposed minimum requirements.

2) Have you taken Organic Chemistry yet? Why do you want to go into pharmacy? You need to be finishing your required classes and get some actual experience working in a pharmacy, before you start thinking of applying to pharmacy school.

24. Peterpiper1

With that GPA I don’t think you’ll get in anywhere tbh. Maybe if you apply early in the cycle, maybe if apply to some of the bottom feeder schools.

If you do get in somewhere, do you think you can get past the hard science courses?

Pharmacy isn’t the best career option right now. Dont just look at the salary figures and think it’s an easy way to make money. The easiest part is getting accepted to pharmacy school. Think about it.

25. JavariPharmD23

Pre-Pharmacy
    Seriously?

26. JavariPharmD23

Pre-Pharmacy
    Can you give any tips? I have a low gpa as well and I’m trying to get into Pharmacy school?