2.9 Gpa!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NyJol36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I finished my freshman year with 2.9 GPA :( . Did any of you have a BAD freshman year and still got in? Do I still have a chance? :confused: :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

NyJol36 said:
Hi all,
I finished my freshman year with 2.9 GPA :( . Did any of you have a BAD freshman year and still got in? Do I still have a chance? :confused: :scared:

Relax, did you finish your frosh year, or your first semester with a 2.9? Either way you can definantly raise it. You, most likely, still have 3 years left to pull it up. Just change what you did then, find a good study routine, and stick with it.

well, you have 2 more years to go. still time to raise it, plus summer school if you need more of a booster. it might sting, unless you don't do anything, it will really hurt in the end.

there is still hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
bgreet said:
Relax, did you finish your frosh year, or your first semester with a 2.9? Either way you can definantly raise it. You, most likely, still have 3 years left to pull it up. Just change what you did then, find a good study routine, and stick with it.

Yes, relax! I didn't do too well my freshman year either, but I did figure out what I was doing wrong (not studying seriously enough) and improved my study habits for the next three years. I mean, classes will get more demanding so it's important to stay focused. Try to utilize your school's resources (tutors, study groups, etc.) if that helps. And yes, I did get into med school. Good luck!

bgreet said:

I finished my Freshman year.. I used to cram till the night before the exam, and I never go to office hours. So the problem is: Procrastination and Shyness. I don't know how to deal with them!

NyJol36 said:
I finished my Freshman year.. I used to cram till the night before the exam, and I never go to office hours. So the problem is: Procrastination and Shyness. I don't know how to deal with them!

I finished my freshman year with 1 A, 5 B's, and 2 C's (both in science classes), which makes my freshman GPA just below a 2.9. I definitely brough it up over the next three years, but it was still lower than I would have wanted. Although I'm sure my GPA has kept me out of some schools, I've gotten one acceptance and interviews at 3 top 20 schools. There's still hope!

NyJol36 said:

This may sound really stupid and simple, but to solve these problems just begin studying earlier and don't let yourself get behind. For shyness, if you force and make yourself go into office hours once, it will be a lot easier for you to do so for the rest of the semester.

SRQGirl said:
I finished my freshman year with 1 A, 5 B's, and 2 C's (both in science classes), which makes my freshman GPA just below a 2.9. I definitely brough it up over the next three years, but it was still lower than I would have wanted. Although I'm sure my GPA has kept me out of some schools, I've gotten one acceptance and interviews at 3 top 20 schools. There's still hope!

I'm sure you were stressed those three years... Now you can chill out. Congratulations!! :thumbup: :D

GPA is very very unimportant. Yes! The only thing that matters is your BCMP GPA. Meaning how bad did you do in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math. If your BCMP GPA is low look into taking some easy science courses to boost it up over the summer. My school requires me to take additional science courses not related to my major so I am taking things like geology(yayyy).

Also lighten your load! If you are feeling too much stress during the year expand the courses out over the summer. Either take them at a local community college or at your school but a GPA of 2.9 means you are overworking yourself.

Premed is not a race nor is medical school an endpoint. Focus on getting in instead of getting there.

Its like a date that you are already late for. Do you
A. Run in like a bum as quick as you can and apologize
B. Take your time, get the girl a flower, walk in with nice clothes and your hair set

Obviously its choice B. Same with medical school. You don't want to walk in with a low BCMP.

swifteagle43 said:
GPA is very very unimportant. Yes! The only thing that matters is your BCMP GPA. Meaning how bad did you do in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math.

I'm not so sure this is great advice. If your cum GPA ends up really low, no one is going to care if you got A's in the BCMP courses -- you won't make the initial screening at many schools. A competitive med school applicant will need to have a decent cum GPA as well as in the BCMP.

I had a 2.6 at the end of my freshman year and a 3.0 at the end of my sophomore year. 3 years later I will have a 3.5 at the end of my second senior year. I had to set priorities and just plain grow up a little before I could do it. It's totally possible but it's not easy.

Law2Doc said:
I'm not so sure this is great advice. If your cum GPA ends up really low, no one is going to care if you got A's in the BCMP courses -- you won't make the initial screening at many schools. A competitive med school applicant will need to have a decent cum GPA as well as in the BCMP.

Hmmm yeah I was thinking more along the lines if you are a bio-chem-physics-engineering major. A high BCMP usually means a semi-high cum GPA.

The main point of the post was to encourage the author of the thread to focus more on his science classes(if he is a science major) and not to worry if he did poorly in history(though you can't get C's in that either).

The most important thing for a sicence major is to have a high BCMP because that means that the GPA of your major is high and the cum GPA is mediocre at the least.

swifteagle43 said:
Hmmm yeah I was thinking more along the lines if you are a bio-chem-physics-engineering major. A high BCMP usually means a high cum GPA(excluding history and junk like that).

The main point of the post was to encourage the author of the thread to focus more on his science classes(if he is a science major) and not to worry if he did poorly in history(though you can't get C's in that either).

The most important thing for a sicence major is to have a high BCMP because that means that the GPA of your major is high and the cum GPA is mediocre at the least.

Fair enough. I was looking at it through the eyes of a non-science major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, non-major science classes are your friend. I'm currently in a class called "Great Ideas in Physics" and it looks easy. Best of all, its a physics class and thus, a BCMP class.

Siggy said:
Remember, non-major science classes are your friend. I'm currently in a class called "Great Ideas in Physics" and it looks easy. Best of all, its a physics class and thus, a BCMP class.

True!

swifteagle43 said:
If your BCMP GPA is low look into taking some easy science courses to boost it up over the summer. My school requires me to take additional science courses not related to my major so I am taking things like geology(yayyy).

Hey you gave great advice. I just want to let you know, if you think geology will boost your BCPM GPA, it won't because geology is considered "natural/physical sciences", which isn't part of BCPM. The lists of courses and what they count as can be found here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf

The reason I know this is because for a number of reasons I ended up taking oceanography undergrad and didn't take it seriously so I did poorly, and I was worried it would affect my BCPM GPA, but somebody on SDN happily informed me otherwise :D

tigress said:
Hey you gave great advice. I just want to let you know, if you think geology will boost your BCPM GPA, it won't because geology is considered "natural/physical sciences", which isn't part of BCPM. The lists of courses and what they count as can be found here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2005instructionbook.pdf

The reason I know this is because for a number of reasons I ended up taking oceanography undergrad and didn't take it seriously so I did poorly, and I was worried it would affect my BCPM GPA, but somebody on SDN happily informed me otherwise :D

OMFG! That blows!

thanks for the heads up

tigress said:

Darn! That means I took environmental biology for nothing. What a waste.

Yea, take astronomy instead it falls under physics and should be pretty easy to pull up your grade. :D

Siggy said:

Yeah, I too definitely recommend taking some of these non-science major classes to boost your BCPM. My personal favorite was sociobiology. :thumbup: :thumbup: Oh yeah!

NyJol36 said:
Hi all,

hey OP

mine was way lower
ur so not hardcore

NyJol36 said:
Hi all,

1st: DON'T PANIC!!! (Thank you Douglas Adams-RIP)
2nd: Relax and refocus

Here's a tip: most schools look at trends. So you "tanked" your freshman year, so what?!? If you do well in your soph, junior, senior years and do well on the MCAT, MANY, MANY schools will be very interested in you.

Also important to remember is that admissions comittee decisions often make absolutely no sense whatsoever. You might be rejected by Generic State University and be accepted to Harvard. So control what you can control, and don't waste brain cells on the stuff you can't. Good luck!

First life is very long. Not to worry.
I am just getting around to medical school now and I am almost 40 (sigh).

Take some "easy" classes to pull up your GPA. And for your science GPA you can take some postbac classes to pull up your undergrad GPA after undergrad years are over. Yeh seems AMCAS does its calculations this way.

If it was a one semester event then you are fine. If it is something chronic (the way you study) then find someone to help you. A tutor, a teacher. If you embrace office hours and camp out at your teachers door you will do fine.