2.935 GPA story---Don't lose hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentvt07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for reading this. As you might know, I usually don't post too many comments on SDN. As a matter of fact, this is my first thread.

The basis behind this post is for two reasons 1) to motivate and give hope to low gpa candidates and 2) to give back to sdn.

Here is my story...

It all started in 2006 when I was a senior at college. I became interested in pharmacy and wanted to know more about it. I went to the Bio dept counselor and asked about pharmacy. She blatantly pointed out my low gpa (~2.9) and alluded to lab tech careers. I came out of the office demoralized and humiliated. I took the pamphlet that she gave me and threw it in the trash can outside her office. After a few days, I made an appointment with a career counselor. She told me that pharmacy school is competitve and insinuated that I would be lucky to get an interview. Again, like many others, she was not supportive and helpful. I felt really depressed and questioned my candidacy for pharmacy. Here I was with a 2.9 gpa, no pharmacy experience, no support, no job, and nothing going right for me. It seemed like the univese was going against me. I wanted to give up trying but...I didn't.

I was going to prove everybody wrong. Not only was I going to get an interview but I was going to get in (that was my mentality at the time). I began working for a pharmaceutical company. Then, I volunteered for a mobile pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy. Afterwards, I took 2 yrs doing post-bac at a cc. I gradually increased my gpa and my pharmacy experience. Then, I studied my a** off for the pcat. The first time I took the pcat, I scored an 85% but I knew I could do better (and I needed to). Second score arrived and I got a 94% comp, 99% bio, and 94% chem. I was excited! I now have a chance to get into pharmacy school.

I applied to 10 schools last year ('08). I finished PharmCAS and all the supplementals for each school in September and November respectively. Then, the wait began. I waited and waited. The months rolled by without a single peep from any of the schools. Then, my first rejection came (a Cali school). Then, the second, third, fourth, and fifth rejections came. I began to panic and thought that the counselors were right; I am not good enough for pharmacy school.

Then, a glimpse of hope opened up. It was the "Academic Update" for PharmCAS. I inputed my data and my overall gpa climbed up to a 3.05. I made it pass the cut-off for some schools. A few weeks later, I began receiving interview invites via e-mails. The first invite was CU Denver SOP. The second, third, and fourth were UWyoming SOP, UMichigan SOP, and UWashington SOP respectively. I was excited. I began practicing my interview skills religuously for about 3 weeks; SDN interview feedbacks helped a lot. I got into all the SOP's I interviewed at. However, I cancelled UMich. Now, I am just at awe at how things turned out, i.e. how life unfolded for me in the past 2 years. I am grateful that I have options for pharmacy school but at the same time, I can't help wondering what or where I would've been if I listened to those counselors. With great modesty and humility, I am living proof that there is hope for you (yes, you with the low gpa). Don't give up on your dream to become a Pharmacist. Of course there are adversities you must overcome to achieve your goals but it is you who must decide want you want out of life.

I hope this motivates you. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello and thank you for reading this. As you might know, I usually don't post too many comments on SDN. As a matter of fact, this is my first thread.

The basis behind this post is for two reasons 1) to motivate and give hope to low gpa candidates and 2) to give back to sdn.

Here is my story...

It all started in 2006 when I was a senior at college. I became interested in pharmacy and wanted to know more about it. I went to the Bio dept counselor and asked about pharmacy. She blatantly pointed out my low gpa (~2.9) and alluded to lab tech careers. I came out of the office demoralized and humiliated. I took the pamphlet that she gave me and threw it in the trash can outside her office. After a few days, I made an appointment with a career counselor. She told me that pharmacy school is competitve and insinuated that I would be lucky to get an interview. Again, like many others, she was not supportive and helpful. I felt really depressed and questioned my candidacy for pharmacy. Here I was with a 2.9 gpa, no pharmacy experience, no support, no job, and nothing going right for me. It seemed like the univese was going against me. I wanted to give up trying but...I didn't.

I was going to prove everybody wrong. Not only was I going to get an interview but I was going to get in (that was my mentality at the time). I began working for a pharmaceutical company. Then, I volunteered for a mobile pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy. Afterwards, I took 2 yrs doing post-bac at a cc. I gradually increased my gpa and my pharmacy experience. Then, I studied my a** off for the pcat. The first time I took the pcat, I scored an 85% but I knew I could do better (and I needed to). Second score arrived and I got a 94% comp, 99% bio, and 94% chem. I was excited! I now have a chance to get into pharmacy school.

I applied to 10 schools last year ('08). I finished PharmCAS and all the supplementals for each school in September and November respectively. Then, the wait began. I waited and waited. The months rolled by without a single peep from any of the schools. Then, my first rejection came (a Cali school). Then, the second, third, fourth, and fifth rejections came. I began to panic and thought that the counselors were right; I am not good enough for pharmacy school.

Then, a glimpse of hope opened up. It was the "Academic Update" for PharmCAS. I inputed my data and my overall gpa climbed up to a 3.05. I made it pass the cut-off for some schools. A few weeks later, I began receiving interview invites via e-mails. The first invite was CU Denver SOP. The second, third, and fourth were UWyoming SOP, UMichigan SOP, and UWashington SOP respectively. I was excited. I began practicing my interview skills religuously for about 3 weeks; SDN interview feedbacks helped a lot. I got into all the SOP's I interviewed at. However, I cancelled UMich. Now, I am just at awe at how things turned out, i.e. how life unfolded for me in the past 2 years. I am grateful that I have options for pharmacy school but at the same time, I can't help wondering what or where I would've been if I listened to those counselors. With great modesty and humility, I am living proof that there is hope for you (yes, you with the low gpa). Don't give up on your dream to become a Pharmacist. Of course there are adversities you must overcome to achieve your goals but it is you who must decide want you want out of life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great story! I find this very inspiring! I love to read these types of stories!!! Basically, your overall GPA was 3.05? So you recommend that going into the game, your overall GPA should be at least a 3.00....

Here is my story...

You shameless self-promoter. :p

LOL!!! We have 17 members vs. 60+ members in your group ---> gotta go recruit more members :laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOL!!! We have 17 members vs. 60+ members in your group ---> gotta go recruit more members :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Three in our group are administrators from the school itself. Two are current students (I think). A couple are not attending the school anymore but remain in the group. The number is highly deceiving. :p

...oh, and how goes? :D

@fhx06: I think we're kinda hijacking the thread LOL

@the OP: Congrats (again) :D. Good job on the PCAT! That's pretty impressive! I took it 3 times and got up to 85 Comp. I think it's cool that you know what you wanted, set your goals, and achieve them. UW is a great school. Hope you'll like it here :)

PS: join our FB LOL!!! ...alright enough for the promotion..... The group's creator made me the admin (shame on her...jk) so I guess it's ok for me to advertise for the group. :p

Last edited:
Just curious (and I don't mean to be insensitive), are you an URM? Regarless if you are or not, congrats!

Congratulations. I love stories like this. :thumbup: Sometimes our "advisors/counselors" don't know best. It is amazing what can happen when you follow your dreams.

Congratulations! I was in the same boat too, and got into UCSF. :thumbup:

It just shows that you CAN have a low GPA in undergrad and still get into pharm, but you have to be willing to work your butt off now to get in.

I nearly applied for Washington myself but after my ex called me around Xmas complaining that he was snowed in, I promptly ripped up my supplemental. :laugh:

Very inspiring indeed. GPA isn't everything though the minimum GPA must be met in order to be considered. After that, anything can happen really. I'm not surprised at all that you got accepted. I guess the whole point of this is that don't give up even if you have low GPA, as long as you can satisfy the minimum GPA requirement and have a list of extracurricular activities along with excellent interview result, you will get in.

good stuff, i'm glad the schools saw something more than a gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great story! I find this very inspiring! I love to read these types of stories!!! Basically, your overall GPA was 3.05? So you recommend that going into the game, your overall GPA should be at least a 3.00....

Thanks for the comment. However, I don't recommend having a 3.0 before going into pharmacy. You should pursue pharmacy when you feel that this is the right career for you, even if you have < 3.0. Just be aware that some schools have a GPA cut-off at 3.0 and others don't.

Just curious (and I don't mean to be insensitive), are you an URM? Regarless if you are or not, congrats!

Lol, you're not being insensitive. I am a very tolerant person. URM= Underrepresented Minority? Well, I am Asian American. I don't think that qualifies for URM in the health field.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment. However, I don't recommend having a 3.0 before going into pharmacy. You should pursue pharmacy when you feel that this is the right career for you, even if you have < 3.0. Just be aware that some schools have a GPA cut-off at 3.0 and others don't.

Lol, you're not being insensitive. I am a very tolerant person. URM= Underrepresented Minority? Well, I am Asian American. I don't think that qualifies for URM in the health field.

Hey, great story! Man, do you mine if I PM you sometime and ask about your success? Those schools are UNBELIEVABLE schools! Thanks again for sharing your story. BTW, which undergrad did you go to?

Hey, great story! Man, do you mine if I PM you sometime and ask about your success? Those schools are UNBELIEVABLE schools! Thanks again for sharing your story. BTW, which undergrad did you go to?

Yeah, of course you can PM me. You can ask me anything, and I will gladly try to help.

I went to UC Irvine. I know I kind of bashed UCI's counselors but the staff there is great despite what I said.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to the OP!! Thank you so much for sharing your story of success with us :soexcited: I wish you the very best in pharmacy school. Enjoy the excitement and happiness of getting in to the max, you absolutely deserve it!

And this:

Whoa now, and this is going to sound really naive if it does aha, but does it seriously make a difference? That's the first time I've heard of that. :oops:

Yeah, of course you can PM me. You can ask me anything, and I will gladly try to help.

I went to UC Irvine. I know I kind of bashed UCI's counselors but the staff there is great despite what I said.

You went to UCI? Me too! Zot zot! UCI's bio counselors suck. I hate everything there is about the bio sci department. Physical sciences rule! :laugh: I can walk into the phy sci student affairs office and get and meet up with a counselor on the spot. With bio, you gotta wait for like...30-40 minutes if you're a walk-in.

But anyway, congrats! Seems like us anteaters are definitely making our mark in the pharmacy world. :)

You went to UCI? Me too! Zot zot! UCI's bio counselors suck. I hate everything there is about the bio sci department. Physical sciences rule! :laugh: I can walk into the phy sci student affairs office and get and meet up with a counselor on the spot. With bio, you gotta wait for like...30-40 minutes if you're a walk-in.

But anyway, congrats! Seems like us anteaters are definitely making our mark in the pharmacy world. :)

That's awesome! :) A fellow UCI alumni. Yeah, it definitely seems like we are making our mark in pharmacy. For example, PharmCAS reported last yr. (07-08 cycle) that the #1 feeder school is UCI with 422 applicants followed by UCLA with 392 applicants.

I was wondering, has the Bio dept called you about donations? They badgered me at least 5 times about it; every time, I would tell them I'm broke and would donate when I start working.

By the way, congrats to you too for getting into a very good program.

Last edited:
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to the OP!! Thank you so much for sharing your story of success with us :soexcited: I wish you the very best in pharmacy school. Enjoy the excitement and happiness of getting in to the max, you absolutely deserve it!

And this:

Whoa now, and this is going to sound really naive if it does aha, but does it seriously make a difference? That's the first time I've heard of that. :oops:

Hi Aniri,

Yes, it makes a big difference for the public schools (ie UCSF, UCSD, UMich, etc) This is a very controversial issue. I happen to be 100% for affirmative action but I know a lot of people who are absolutely against it and I respect their feelings.

That's awesome! :) A fellow UCI alumni. Yeah, it definitely seems like we are making our mark in pharmacy. For example, PharmCAS reported last yr. (07-08 cycle) that the #1 feeder school is UCI with 422 applicants followed by UCLA with 392 applicants.

I was wondering, has the Bio dept called you about donations? They badgered me at least 5 times about it; every time, I would tell them I'm broke and would donate when I start working.

Another anteater here too :).

When I get badgered by the donations gang I just say that I've already donated enough money to UCI through parking tickets and every little fee that they charge (i.e. getting transcripts, letter for good academic standing...etc).

Another anteater here too :).

When I get badgered by the donations gang I just say that I've already donated enough money to UCI through parking tickets and every little fee that they charge (i.e. getting transcripts, letter for good academic standing...etc).

The funny thing is I go to UCSD and they rather talk to my parents and not me (for obvious reasons since students are for the most part broke). Whenever they call my house, they INSIST they talk with my parents and not me lol.

The funny thing is I go to UCSD and they rather talk to my parents and not me (for obvious reasons since students are for the most part broke). Whenever they call my house, they INSIST they talk with my parents and not me lol.

Same here. I always tell them that they're not available, so they keep on calling every night.

Here is my story...

Awesome story of perseverance. Good Luck in Pharmacy School:)

Sorry, this comment was just to test out my signature. I tried deleting it but it seems like I have to donate at least $19 to SDN.

Last edited:

Actually, I just graduated last quarter (Winter '09) as a chemistry major. So I wouldn't be part of the bio dept and I don't think they have the nerve to start calling me when I just graduated...or would they?...lol.

Thank you for the congrats, but you also got into a very good program yourself. This thread is about you so be happy and celebrate! :)

Hi Aniri,

Yes, it makes a big difference for the public schools (ie UCSF, UCSD, UMich, etc) This is a very controversial issue. I happen to be 100% for affirmative action but I know a lot of people who are absolutely against it and I respect their feelings.

oh wow, well I'm applying this fall and UF is my top choice, and now I'm hoping it might me a smidge of a point for me, lol. Thank you so much for answering, and congrats again ;)

oh wow, well I'm applying this fall and UF is my top choice, and now I'm hoping it might me a smidge of a point for me, lol. Thank you so much for answering, and congrats again ;)

Haha, no need to congrats me considering I haven't applied anywhere yet. UF is a great school so I hope you get in!

Haha, no need to congrats me considering I haven't applied anywhere yet. UF is a great school so I hope you get in!

ahaha! :oops: :oops: oops, when you answered my previous post it somehow registered in my mind that you were the OP. I should pay attention to screen names more...sorry! But thanks, and I wish you the best in the application process also!:xf: And thanks for answering my question without getting offended, looking back it was a little forward. I'm Hispanic and it just caught my interest since I absolutely hadn't heard of anything of the sort.

ahaha! :oops: :oops: oops, when you answered my previous post it somehow registered in my mind that you were the OP. I should pay attention to screen names more...sorry! But thanks, and I wish you the best in the application process also!:xf: And thanks for answering my question without getting offended, looking back it was a little forward. I'm Hispanic and it just caught my interest since I absolutely hadn't heard of anything of the sort.

Yeah it gets confusing with all the posts sometimes. Just like everyone else should, apply broadly throughout the U.S. Don't put all your eggs in 3-4 schools because you never know what might happen. Also, regardless of your ethnicity, social status, etc., just keep working hard and getting good grades in school and you should get into pharm. school. We need more URMs in the health care profession IMO.

We need more URMs in the health care profession IMO.

I'm Hispanic and it just caught my interest since I absolutely hadn't heard of anything of the sort.

I hope you find pharmacy rewarding AniriW because I do agree with MRSASucks, i.e. we do need more URM's in pharmacy. (Just to be a nerd and fling some statistics:D) For the 2008 entering class, AACP reported that only 10% of matriculates identified themselves as URM and only 4% is Hispanic. It would be nice to see more of a diversity in this field.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/research/institutionalresearch/Documents/07Introduction.pdf

http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/Documents/Pharmacy.ppt

There is hope for people with low GPA's but I have to point out that it wasn't your GPA that got you into pharm school. It was your pre-reqs and PCAT scores among other things the schools looked at. My point is having excellent pre-req grades and PCAT score with a decent GPA can get you into pharm school with excellent interview skills. That was my case and I got into a top 10 ranked school with a 3.11 PharmCAS gpa and a 72 PCAT with most of my pre-req's being A's.

I hope you find pharmacy rewarding AniriW because I do agree with MRSASucks, i.e. we do need more URM's in pharmacy. (Just to be a nerd and fling some statistics:D) For the 2008 entering class, AACP reported that only 10% of matriculates identified themselves as URM and only 4% is Hispanic. It would be nice to see more of a diversity in this field.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/research/institutionalresearch/Documents/07Introduction.pdf

http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/Documents/Pharmacy.ppt

Yeah it gets confusing with all the posts sometimes. Just like everyone else should, apply broadly throughout the U.S. Don't put all your eggs in 3-4 schools because you never know what might happen. Also, regardless of your ethnicity, social status, etc., just keep working hard and getting good grades in school and you should get into pharm. school. We need more URMs in the health care profession IMO.

Thanks you two, I really appreciate the advice ^_^ I'm working very hard, and I hope it does in fact pay off in the end :thumbup: