2.98 sgpa 3.16cgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GossipGirl17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I have a 2.98 sgpa and a 3.16 cgpa and a 508 MCAT after my second take. I just finished a post bacc program with a 3.8 of all upper science level classes. I am also a african american female if that helps. The reason that my sgpa is not above a 3.0 is because last year I decided to retake ochem and received a C. I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor during the class and was told I needed to have surgery so I was just going through a lot at that time. During my senior year I also had a 3.5 both semesters. I was just wondering what my chances are for this cycle? Or should I wait another year and take more classes? I am applying to both MD and DO. I have around 200+ hours of clinical volunteering, I have 100+ non clinical volunteering which mainly includes tutoring inner city kids in math, did a full time research program at my university for a summer, and part time research at a local hospital. I have also held multiple leadership positions at my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the ~3ish GPAs mentioned above include your 3.8 post-bacc? Or are those before? And was your post-bacc a DIY or formal program? What type of school? The 508 MCAT is certainly adequate, and your strong senior year and post-bacc attests to your academic capabilities -- assuming it was at a State U or better versus DIY at a CC.

What resources do you have to get past an auto-screen? You'd want to pull them out. It sounds to me like if you can get past a robo-screen, your odds will improve dramatically.

I'm assuming your school list includes the HBUs as well as your state schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the ~3ish GPAs mentioned above include your 3.8 post-bacc? Or are those before? And was your post-bacc a DIY or formal program? What type of school? The 508 MCAT is certainly adequate, and your strong senior year and post-bacc attests to your academic capabilities -- assuming it was at a State U or better versus DIY at a CC.

What resources do you have to get past an auto-screen? You'd want to pull them out. It sounds to me like if you can get past a robo-screen, your odds will improve dramatically.

I'm assuming your school list includes the HBUs as well as your state schools?
Those include gpas include the post bacc. Also it was a formal program. I did the program at Washington University in St. Louis. And I am applying to all of the HBCUs. I know some admissions faculty at some of my state schools and am trying to get into contact with them.

Those include gpas include the post bacc. Also it was a formal program. I did the program at Washington University in St. Louis. And I am applying to all of the HBCUs. I know some admissions faculty at some of my state schools and am trying to get into contact with them.

Excellent! And wow! A 3.8 at a Wash U post-bacc should be very positive! Now network! You might want to call the admissions offices at your state schools (before you send in the money but after your app is ready to submit) and ask if they autoscreen. Mention your strong Wash U post-bacc / low GPA combination and see what they have to say. Sometimes just the phone call can get you on the radar and around the auto-screen.

Excellent! And wow! A 3.8 at a Wash U post-bacc should be very positive! Now network! You might want to call the admissions offices at your state schools (before you send in the money but after your app is ready to submit) and ask if they autoscreen. Mention your strong Wash U post-bacc / low GPA combination and see what they have to say. Sometimes just the phone call can get you on the radar and around the auto-screen.
Thank you so much for the advice! I am going to start emailing/calling schools tomorrow. Thanks again!

Add NEOMED. You could also try DO schools such as OU-HCOM, MU-COM, UP-KYCOM and WVSOM.
I will make sure to add NEOMED. I am also definitely applying to OU and MU. Thanks again!

Agree 100%.

OP, you are fine for any DO school, and for MD, chances are best with all OH schools except Case. You may have some luck with the Philly Triplets, Loyola, Rosy F, Albany and NYMC
Thanks Goro! I didn't have the philly triplets on my list but I will make sure to add them.

Reactions: 1 user
So I thought I would update this just in case someone else with similar stats looks at this thread and is wondering what their chances are.

I received 6 interviews. Two from DO schools: Ohio university and Marian. And four MD interviews: Meharry, Toledo, Wright State, and NYMC. I ended up attending only four of the interviews. I received three acceptances from Ohio University, Toledo, and Wright State. Good luck to whoever is reading this and don’t give up!

Reactions: 7 users
So I thought I would update this just in case someone else with similar stats looks at this thread and is wondering what their chances are.

I received 6 interviews. Two from DO schools: Ohio university and Marian. And four MD interviews: Meharry, Toledo, Wright State, and NYMC. I ended up attending only four of the interviews. I received three acceptances from Ohio University, Toledo, and Wright State. Good luck to whoever is reading this and don’t give up!
Congrats @GossipGirl17! Thank you for updating!

Congrats on your acceptance that is awesome!! Yes! Never give up is the code!

:thumbup::thumbup::soexcited::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::love::love::love::luck::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps::claps::woot::woot::woot::banana::banana::banana::biglove::biglove::biglove::hello:

This is amazing! Congratulations! I hope you are happy and successful (which you probably will be due to your strength and determination), wherever you decide to go!