Sep 12, 2017
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is deemed possible for an anesthesiologist to work two jobs at two different hospitals. If anyone can give me some insight to this. Thanks. :)

About the Ads
Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is deemed possible for an anesthesiologist to work two jobs at two different hospitals. If anyone can give me some insight to this. Thanks. :)
It depends on your specific contracts. If you contract with the hospitals as an independent contractor and you don't have a noncompete or some other contract clause that prohibits other work, then yes it's fine (albeit, for full time work at two hospitals you may find yourself juggling quite the schedule). If you are academic, most will contract you as "full-time" and have something in there about not having another job (in medicine, in your particular area, usually, but this can be worded however their lawyers want). If you are a part of a group you may end up contracted with multiple hospitals anyway.

Bottom line, yes it's possible, but you need to tread carefully with how your agreement with each job is set up. And to be honest, I'm not sure that you'd necessarily earn more money, if that's your goal...

OP
M
Sep 12, 2017
It depends on your specific contracts. If you contract with the hospitals as an independent contractor and you don't have a noncompete or some other contract clause that prohibits other work, then yes it's fine (albeit, for full time work at two hospitals you may find yourself juggling quite the schedule). If you are academic, most will contract you as "full-time" and have something in there about not having another job (in medicine, in your particular area, usually, but this can be worded however their lawyers want). If you are a part of a group you may end up contracted with multiple hospitals anyway.

Bottom line, yes it's possible, but you need to tread carefully with how your agreement with each job is set up. And to be honest, I'm not sure that you'd necessarily earn more money, if that's your goal...
Yes so malpractice won't increase pay? I'm talking about having a full time job and one part time job. I'm not there yet but I'm just curious as to how that works. I've done my research and part time gets you upwards to $135000. Don't know how that works though. I'll figure it out

Jul 30, 2017
Southlake, TX
www.utsouthwestern.edu
Status
Attending Physician
Yes so malpractice won't increase pay? I'm talking about having a full time job and one part time job. I'm not there yet but I'm just curious as to how that works. I've done my research and part time gets you upwards to $135000. Don't know how that works though. I'll figure it out
Not sure I get it, but you probably won’t have to. You can probably just pick up extra shifts in your single job if you want to make more. Again, really depends on your setup but there is usually extra pay for extra shifts and some places have productivity bonuses, many have both. And trust me, anesthesia pays enough that you’ll value your free time rather than wanting an extra “second” job

Reactions: MikaëlMDsoontobe
About the Ads