2 Newbie Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabtq9s

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.What can you NOT have and still apply ? MCAT, Recs, PS ?
I will be applying May 1st but will take my MCAT in May 31st 08

2. Is it worth it to buy the new "Princeton Review CBT" book if I have the 2005 version ( that has 4 individual books)?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

so you are applying early decision?

The AMCAS (what's termed to primary application) comes out in May, and you can fill it out then. You're not allowed to submit it until June though, so you can go ahead and fill it in and get yourself organized. You definitely need a PS to fill out the AMCAS.

Your MCAT scores automatically get uploaded into THx (part of AAMC's website), and I think also get automatically uploaded to AMCAS. Since all this stuff is now computerized, it doesn't take as long as it used to to grade the MCAT. I don't actually know how long it takes to grade. But assuming it takes a month or less, you'll still have your MCAT score right there when you submit your AMCAS in early June (the earliest submission date they allowed this year was June 3rd, I believe).

As for recs, those don't come into play until you get secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need your personal statement to submit your first application (your primary). That application won't go out until you have your MCAT score as well. You can't submit that application until early June, so you can't apply May 1.

You should have your transcripts sent in as soon as you have your Spring Semester grades, and your primary will not be sent until all your transcripts are verified by AMCAS.

You should have all your LORs as soon as you possibly can, as that's probably the slowest part in getting complete at schools.

As for your second question... I don't think the material has changed too much since 05... I had an old edition of EK when I studied last year, and I did fine on my MCAT.

Just make sure you practice a lot on the computer, rather than just taking the paper tests.

Thanks guys,

but my GPA is not that competitive so I want to apply as early as I can, and I realized that most schools start accepting applications at MAY (I'm in Texas so most Texas Schools) isn't June too late ??

You should have your transcripts sent in as soon as you have your Spring Semester grades, and your primary will not be sent until all your transcripts are verified by AMCAS.

Should I send my Transcripts to the AMCAS now ?? or can I do it when it gets closer.

but my GPA is not that competitive so I want to apply as early as I can, and I realized that most schools start accepting applications at MAY (I'm in Texas so most Texas Schools) isn't June too late ??

Should I send my Transcripts to the AMCAS now ?? or can I do it when it gets closer.

Texas is a whole other story... AMCAS, though, which the rest of the country, by and large, uses, cannot be submitted until June. Texas works differently, and you'll have to talk to someone who has filled out that application if you want specifics on it.

You cannot send your transcripts until April, at the very earliest (I'm not even sure if you can send them before May). If you are still in school, you have to wait until you get your SPRING semester grades (because you'll have completed them by the time you apply).

AMCAS schools won't even recieve your primary until the end of June, so applying in June will not hurt you for them.

The texas schools use a different application system - TMDSAS
I don't know if it's deadlines are different, but there's the link

Since Texas is its own country ;), it helps if you put something about Texas Schools in the Title box. Otherwise, you'll wind up getting all sorts of answers that don't necessarily apply to your situation. (Notice that I'm not really trying to answer your question because I'm very ignorant when it comes to anything to do with the Texas application cycle.)

I believe that TMDSAS comes out early April and you can submit early May. I submitted mine late May.

It requires basically the same info as AMCAS, but is on a wonky website from 1982 and only costs ~$250 for all the schools (don't quote me on the price, it's cheap is all I know).

Mine got processed pretty quick and I think the first batch went out to schools in mid-June.

Your letters are sent through TMDSAS as well, so it behooves you to get them in early. They have very specific requirements (2 science profs and you're allowed one additional letter of your choosing). I think for those that have a committee, they would send the letter to TMDSAS as well and that covers the reqs.

As far as I know, UTSW is the only school that requires a secondary. The rest go solely by your TMDSAS, so I would say to make your PS great as well as to fill out the "optional" diversity essay.