2 problems stalling me from finishing up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benbuttcakes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stuck with these two dilemmas and need advise

First, the background for my situation. I am applying for medical school for Fall 2011 (applying in 2010). Im graduating spring 2010. I am in a tricky situations and I've searched many forums and can't find the answer to these questions. I'm kind of in a bind because of it.

Problem 1: finishing requiremnets - ive finished all my pre med requirement that are geared toward the MCAT. However, I still have a few o chem lab and biochem requirements. I have avoided getting into o chem lab at my present university because the professor is insanely hard (I can only get a B at best prolly while balancing the classes I need to finish graduating) and in fact I sort of need to improve my science GPA at the moment (so thats the last thing i need). Should I take the class at the very competitive school I go at now the summer before I apply or should i take it next fall after primary applications at my local state school (where i will most likely get an A) when I move back home and await medical school decisions/finish apps. Will medical schools look at what grades I get if i take this class next year? Does it look bad to stall taking these classes until the semester before entry into medical school?

Problem 2: LORs. Ok I know this is a bit clueless of me to be asking about this so late in my pre med career, but the LORs are for the primary applications right? So they are viewable by all the universities along with the rest of ur application right? Well, then I would suppose I need LORs this year. Otherwise I was wondering if I could get my letter of recommendation next school year (fall 2010) while taking a class at my state school (before completing it, but being basically the perfect student with my professor and then explaining I need LORs before completing the class - something i think i can do). Ive got good clinical and nonscience letter of recs lined up for me and I have one science LOR already so I need another passable one. If I can get it next year,, this will give me another reason to delay taking my ochem labs classes until next year at a state school (where I'll get the LOR from my ochem classes). If I must get my letter of recommendations before applying for med school, then I guess I might have to take this class now and get that letter.

I hope I wasn't confusing in explaining what is a confusing situation (for me anyways). Feel free to address only one or part of one dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

I am stuck with these two dilemmas and need advise

First, the background for my situation. I am applying for medical school for Fall 2011 (applying in 2010). Im graduating spring 2010. I am in a tricky situations and I've searched many forums and can't find the answer to these questions. I'm kind of in a bind because of it.

Problem 1: finishing requiremnets - ive finished all my pre med requirement that are geared toward the MCAT. However, I still have a few o chem lab and biochem requirements. I have avoided getting into o chem lab at my present university because the professor is insanely hard (I can only get a B at best prolly while balancing the classes I need to finish graduating) and in fact I sort of need to improve my science GPA at the moment (so thats the last thing i need). Should I take the class at the very competitive school I go at now the summer before I apply or should i take it next fall after primary applications at my local state school (where i will most likely get an A) when I move back home and await medical school decisions/finish apps. Will medical schools look at what grades I get if i take this class next year? Does it look bad to stall taking these classes until the semester before entry into medical school?

Problem 2: LORs. Ok I know this is a bit clueless of me to be asking about this so late in my pre med career, but the LORs are for the primary applications right? So they are viewable by all the universities along with the rest of ur application right? Well, then I would suppose I need LORs this year. Otherwise I was wondering if I could get my letter of recommendation next school year (fall 2010) while taking a class at my state school (before completing it, but being basically the perfect student with my professor and then explaining I need LORs before completing the class - something i think i can do). Ive got good clinical and nonscience letter of recs lined up for me and I have one science LOR already so I need another passable one. If I can get it next year,, this will give me another reason to delay taking my ochem labs classes until next year at a state school (where I'll get the LOR from my ochem classes). If I must get my letter of recommendations before applying for med school, then I guess I might have to take this class now and get that letter.

I hope I wasn't confusing in explaining what is a confusing situation (for me anyways). Feel free to address only one or part of one dilemma.

I wouldn't risk dropping your gpa, but schools will not see or care much what you do 1 semester before med school begins. You just need the requirements completed before med school starts.

I'm pretty sure you need all required LOR's submitted before your application is considered complete (someone else might comment on this more). I would submit all needed LOR's as early in the application period as possible.