2 Scribing Oppurtunites, Which one should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user2893

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to Scribe for 2 Different places, Both in the ER

1.) Employed directly through a large hospital 15 mins away from campus
2.) Employed through a scribe company (ProScribe) on Campus

Which one do you think will be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever pays more. It's the same experience

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any experience with ProScribe, but I do work for one of the larger scribe companies. I say go directly through the hospital, they will most likely pay more.

Reactions: 1 users
If you work directly for the hospital they will likely pay you more. However, if you want to work for multiple hospitals it would be better to work for the larger scribe companies. I work at 3 different hospitals and each one has a very different patient population, exposing you to a wider variety of cultural backgrounds and socioeconomic profiles.

You will also work with a greater variety of doctors if you work at multiple hospitals.

Last edited:
On campus? Like on a clinic on campus? I feel like the hospital could give you exposure to a more diverse patient population so I'd go with that. 15 mins isn't bad.

Are either an academic hospital? ED volumes comparable or drastically different? Program affiliated?

The on or off campus is literally the least important aspect as is the pay since they will both be low and you scribe for the experience, not the money. Money is good, but a solid letter of recommendation from a well known physician is priceless.

Are either of them trauma centers? Pick the trauma center unless you want to see a lot of back pain and cough/fevers.

To elaborate and answer some of your questions: @starspells I'm an undergrad at Wayne State, so On-Campus meaning at one of the hospitals on Wayne State's Medical Campus. It would be in Downtown Detroit where crime is all over the place and I'm more likely to see more interesting visits in the ER. The one 15 mins away is at a Large hospital (Beaumont) in a suburb of Detroit. @Wolfpack93 Neither is specifically a Trauma Center, both are just the ED department of the larger hospital. I'm leaning towards going to the one off-campus since It seems working for a hospital is more highly regarded and competitive than going through a scribe company.

To elaborate and answer some of your questions: @starspells I'm an undergrad at Wayne State, so On-Campus meaning at one of the hospitals on Wayne State's Medical Campus. It would be in Downtown Detroit where crime is all over the place and I'm more likely to see more interesting visits in the ER. The one 15 mins away is at a Large hospital (Beaumont) in a suburb of Detroit. @Wolfpack93 Neither is specifically a Trauma Center, both are just the ED department of the larger hospital. I'm leaning towards going to the one off-campus since It seems working for a hospital is more highly regarded and competitive than going through a scribe company.

Trauma Centers are often integrated into the ER. I took the liberty of looking up Beaumont - it's a level one trauma center, which means you'll see the highest acuity set of patients in that area. AND they'll likely pay you more as a direct hire. That would definitely be my pick.

I work as a scribe, outside contract. Go for hospital. As mentioned above, it's direct hire at a hospital. You're their employee so they have to somewhat invest something in hiring you vs outside organization. Also as above, you will probably be paid more too-can't guarantee it but likely. And, if you don't plan on med or some other health-related program immediately (next year or so), you have the opportunity to advance within the hospital doing something else for a broader perspective.

I also go to Wayne State. I would say go with Beaumont. I feel that they have a better reputation and you would probably see more intriguing things. I hope it goes well, either way! I was just looking into being a scribe!

I also go to Wayne State. I would say go with Beaumont. I feel that they have a better reputation and you would probably see more intriguing things. I hope it goes well, either way! I was just looking into being a scribe!
Thanks! I found this position specifically on craigslist, there were some other Metro-Detroit hospitals and clinics looking for scribes. They're a bit tougher to get into than through Scribe Companies, but try both and see where you get chosen