2 year vs 1.5 year preclinical curriculum

Started by hurricane07
Tags Tags
curriculum
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hurricane07

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm still waiting to hear back from some med schools, but out of the two I am most seriously considering, one has a 2 year pre-clinical curriculum and the other has a 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum? I wanted to ask current med students what their opinions are on their own curriculum.

Just from talking to my friends:

Benefits of 1.5 year curriculum:
More clinical opportunities
Less chance of burnout during preclinical years

Issues:
The volume of med school is already hard, and this makes it even harder during preclinical years.
What opportunities are feasible within 6 months? Not that many

I was just hoping for some input to help me make a decision.

Thank you!!
 
Depends do they give you 1.5 years and then extended time off for dedicated step study or do you jump right into clinicals