2-year vs. 4-year courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyheyitsshea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am taking my final year before entering dental school, hopefully, but have come across some financial constraints. I already have a bachelor's obtained in 2010, and am simply going back for the dental prereqs. Because of finances, I am seriously considering taking my last pre-requisite course (physics) at a two year college instead of at the four year university I've been attending.
I have heard a few things regarding dental schools being picky with junior college credits, but is it a serious barrier to take one course at a community college, or do you think it won't make a difference to my applications?
Any and all advice would really be appreciated, as I am trying to get through this whole process without any serious guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, IMO, if your application looks good everywhere else - GPA, DAT, EC's etc., then I would not think that one CC course would hurt you. Of course, I've heard that there are a few schools that don't accept them but if you aren't set on those particular schools then I think it would be ok. I got in with GenChem I and II (with labs) and Physics I (also includes the lab) from a CC so it IS possible. ;)

There's only a couple of schools (BU comes to mind) that don't take CC courses as prereqs. Most schools "prefer" they be done at a 4-year...but...aint nobody got money for that. I'm taking a couple classes (Calc & Microbio) at a JC in the fall as prereqs for a couple schools. You should be fine, if in doubt, call the schools admissions office and ask.

Thank you! :) It is encouraging to know that taking cc courses worked out for you.