2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some residency programs say they allow residents who have graduated within the last 2 years. At the time of the next Match I will be 2 years out (FMG).

But does anyone really know firsthand any FMG that has done this?

I want to be realistic. I am middle aged, family - have already sacrificed too much time and money chasing a dream. I dread going back to my previous work career but its all I know how to do. Some people have suggested I get into some other medical related area such as pharm sales - but as people have pointed out on other threads these are jobs typically reserved for younger hot women - not aging men. I hate to admit defeat, but better sooner than later. I received so much encouragement here that I scrambled and than post-scrambled - but perhaps encouragement is not always the best idea

Is matching as a FMG, marginal USMLE scores (77 step 1, 81 step 2), 2 years out stand a chance in hell of matching

Members don't see this ad.

I know some residency programs say they allow residents who have graduated within the last 2 years. At the time of the next Match I will be 2 years out (FMG).

But does anyone really know firsthand any FMG that has done this?

I want to be realistic. I am middle aged, family - have already sacrificed too much time and money chasing a dream. I dread going back to my previous work career but its all I know how to do. Some people have suggested I get into some other medical related area such as pharm sales - but as people have pointed out on other threads these are jobs typically reserved for younger hot women - not aging men. I hate to admit defeat, but better sooner than later. I received so much encouragement here that I scrambled and than post-scrambled - but perhaps encouragement is not always the best idea

Is matching as a FMG, marginal USMLE scores (77 step 1, 81 step 2), 2 years out stand a chance in hell of matching

what specialty did you try to match in? FP had >2-300 unfilled spots. If you want things like Gen surg, rads, etc., you should just continue what you're doing now.

what specialty did you try to match in? FP had >2-300 unfilled spots. If you want things like Gen surg, rads, etc., you should just continue what you're doing now.

Nope, FM opened the scramble with only 122 unfilled spots.. compared to something like Prelim Surg that had 154. I honestly dont know how those numbers occur because according to nrmp reports differently.. some behind the scenes must be happening Monday after people find out they didnt match.

I am interested in FP, but I really limited my applications to much because of my family. As an FMG they have already experienced living in crappy housing etc and making do. We moved here in the states, lucked into a fantastic house with great school system they love - I thought I would match much easier out here, but made some major mistakes and screwed myself - probably won't stand a chance of matching out here again. So need to open myself up to any state that is FMG friendly if I do it again - but in all reality, how likely is it that I can match 2 years post grad as an FMG with marginal board scores.

Nope, FM opened the scramble with only 122 unfilled spots.. compared to something like Prelim Surg that had 154. I honestly dont know how those numbers occur because according to nrmp reports differently.. some behind the scenes must be happening Monday after people find out they didnt match.

Prelim Surg is not the same as Gen Surg.

I am interested in FP, but I really limited my applications to much because of my family. As an FMG they have already experienced living in crappy housing etc and making do. We moved here in the states, lucked into a fantastic house with great school system they love - I thought I would match much easier out here, but made some major mistakes and screwed myself - probably won't stand a chance of matching out here again. So need to open myself up to any state that is FMG friendly if I do it again - but in all reality, how likely is it that I can match 2 years post grad as an FMG with marginal board scores.

Would they rather stay in your sub-par location that you reside in now or go to another sub-par location and get this residency over with? Maybe I'm over-analyzing your situation.

wow, the NRMP reported 304 FM unfilled positions on Monday March 12th, compare to 122 thats almost 200 spots filled between monday and the time the scramble started!!

wow, the NRMP reported 304 FM unfilled positions on Monday March 12th, compare to 122 thats almost 200 spots filled between monday and the time the scramble started!!

Yup, which makes me think programs do know ahead of time when they are unfilled even though I was told specifically by 2 coordinators from two different institutions that they wont know till the scramble.

Either that or the programs decide that's enough we dont want anymore people. But that's almost 200 spots that got chopped off which is a lot. I am not sure what to conclude from what I witnessed. (PS: I know it went the same way last year. The reported numbers on Monday were not the same on Tuesday the day of the scramble.)

There were 122 unfilled FM programs, instead of positions when scramble started, most programs had more than 1 unfilled positions, the total was 300+ positions.

There were 122 unfilled FM programs, instead of positions when scramble started, most programs had more than 1 unfilled positions, the total was 300+ positions.

I see thanks for the insight...

now it makes sense!!

As an older US FMG in a similar situation I can totally relate to this. It seems that we are not the only ones. My scores were Step 1: low 80s, Step 2: high 70s. After not matching I took and passed 3 but still was not successful despite this and having good references (including chairman of program during my clinical rotations and local physicians I have been spending time with. I am middle aged as well (born in mid 1960s). I have a lot of good experience from previous work before medical school but my problem is that I am now 300K in debt from graduate courses and medical school. I graduated from medical school in 2005 and despite all my work and efforts since graduation I was unsucessful in getting a position (I applied widely to a number of programs, including family medicine, in both the match and scramble). I need to get into a residency or get a good job paying 150K or more by the end of this June because of my loans. Right now it does not look good and I need help.