Help! Graduating in 6 years...drop out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Next steps?

• Total voters

hopeful_IM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(erased for privacy)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
so you had an issue, burned a year....and then when you came back had another and burned a second?

What gives you the confidence this won't repeat?

Reactions: 1 user
Well practically speaking, I have to graduate in 6 years or be out so if I had to take another I just won't be returning at all.

But I'm assuming you mean how will PDs view the fact I had to take two "time-outs" and won't need another one when things get tough during residency. Without disclosing too much, both were separate issues that required more than 4 weeks and have been completely resolved. I didn't need much more than 4 weeks (but I did need at least that much) to deal with the problems. For the second leave, I was hospitalized and definitely wanted to return (it really really sucks basically wasting a year of your life and destroying your career at the same time) but I was not cleared by my doctor in time so I really didn't have a choice there. I'm hoping showing that if I can do well and really excel during more stressful times, e.g. board study, clinical rotations I can show that this was just a case of unfortunate circumstances that not only made me a stronger person but won't happen again.

I'm also hoping that since the first leave of absence was after the first semester of medical school (and I was gone for the second semester and then returned) it won't be as big of a deal than say an extended leave of absence during clinical rotations. But there is a voice in the back of my head that keeps saying "It won't matter how well you do now anyways..." and so I was hoping to get more feedback here before I make a decision. Since investing 3 years of my life and a whole lot of money is on the line, some real talk is appreciated.

Can you show PDs those issues won’t repeat itself in the much stress time of a residency?

Reactions: 1 user
The red/yellow flag will be, as @sb247 intimated, the question of whether you will be able to make it through when the going gets really, really tough, so it's going to depend to a large extent on the reasons. If you had to take time off to care for family members, do those family members now have alternate/additional supports? If you were hospitalized after being hit by a bus, that's unlikely to be repeated. If you were hospitalized for mental health treatment, that's of more ongoing concern.

You certainly don't have to tell us -- probably wiser if you don't. But that is your answer...

Reactions: 1 users
You've already received good advice here. As mentioned, the issue is your reliability. You'll have to choose whether to disclose why you took the LOA's, or just state personal / health reasons. If you remain vague, programs may assume the worst. If you disclose that you were hospitalized for a mental health issue, they are much more likely to assume the worst.

If you score really well on Level 1 / S1, then programs may still be interested. A poor showing on exams, or poor clinical grades, and you'll have trouble.

The problem with the questions is that it's impossible to tell you how it's going to go. And even if I told you that there was a 50% chance of getting a spot, or a 20% chance, would that really change your plans? If there was zero chance, then the decision is easy. But there's never zero chance.

Reactions: 3 users