2003 Sfmatch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khan319

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was searching for a neurology forum for a very long time and today atlast i got it.

I am an IMG with special interest in NEUROLOGY. I have regesterd for the upcoming match.Right now I am waiting for the interview calls.

It seems that most of the docs here are american grads.I 'll certainly like to share my experience with all of you.

I have applied to 30 neurology programs ans so far recieved interview calls from the following programs:
1-Univ of Pittsberg
2-Univ of North Carolina
3-Univ of Arkansas
4-Temple Univ
5-Sunny Buffalo
6-Thomas Jefferson
7-Duke
8-Univ of Cincinatti
9-Univ of Illinios
10- North Shore Univ

My application is on hold in NYU, Mass General and MCP Henemann.

I'll be highly obliged if someone gives me an insight about these programs.

Thanks.
IMG Neuro Doc

Members don't see this ad.

hey khan319,

of the programs that you have interviews at, duke is probably the best. the graduates usually have their pick of fellowships. however, it is a difficult 3 years and it is very busy. you rotate through a beautiful university hospital and a va which is across the street from the university hospital. the downside of this program is that it is located in durham, nc.

university of illinois in chicago is an average program. you train at 3 hospitals: a community hospital about 10 miles from the university, a va, and the university hospital. the great upside of this program is that it is in chicago. however, there are definitely better programs in chicago: rush, northwestern, university of chicago. at least it's not as bad as loyola.

by the way, some other good programs that you should look at include besides the obvious top tier programs include Univ Washington, Baylor, Emory, Cleveland Clinic. you can't go wrong at any of these programs. when i was interviewing, i believe there was at least 1 IMG at each place. did you apply to any of these?

good luck.

Hi pinky,

I highly appreciate your comments about Duke and Univ of Illinois.

Yes, I have applied to Wash Univ (Missouri), Emory,Cleveland, Baylor,Univ of Washington(Seatlle) but i have not yet heard anything from these programs.

Any comments about Yale and UPENN, Med College of wisconsin.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello dear Dr. khan319,
May I know your usmle scores,visa status and whether having any research,externship or so experiences?
Thanks in advance and hope you the best,
Alireza.
You can answer by emailing me at: [email protected]

UPenn is an excellent program and probably considered one of the best in neurology.

Yale is also quite good and is considered a top tier program.

I have heard nothing about the program at MCW.

In general, neurology shouldn't be too difficult to match in to. Last year, there were quite a few unfilled positions at very good institutions. e.g. U of Chicago, Cleveland Clinic, etc.

However, I hear that neurology is becoming more and more competitive. Anyone know if the number of applicants is up this year compared to last year?

Hi ,

I have my interviews at Univ of North Carolina and Sunny Buffalo on 23 & 25 Oct respectively.Any insight about these programs???.

Yes , Neurology is becoming more competitive and it is very difficult for IMG's to get into top programs as more and more American grads are attracted by this field.Usually the IMG's are left with second rated programs and i am feeling quite a lot of this presently.Adding more to the insult is the visa problem and i recieved some phone calls asking about my visa issues.Despite all these issues , i am quite hopeful that I can match in a decent program.

For Alireza....my credentials are board scores in 90's and nothing special.Graduted in 2000 and 1 US LOR.

How about you?You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks.

I don't know anything about either program since I didn't apply to either one, but I do remember hearing people say that UNC had a relatively easy call schedule.

Chapel Hill (UNC) is relatively close to Durham (Duke).
So you may want to schedule your interviews at both at around the same time.

Hi ,

Any comments about UNIV of Pittsburg(Interview on 7 NOV) or Temple Univ ,PA (Interview on 1 Nov)

I have recieved a letter from the program Director (Jonathan Edwards) of Univ of Michigan asking about my publications.I have nothing to mention in this column with some epidemiological studis bck there in my native country.Do u think ,it will decrease my chances of getting the interview.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

For Ali reza, I got your both mails and will reply very soon.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi neuro med,

Congrats on getting interviews from such good programs.It seems that you are sailing in a different boat than mine.

Have u applied to Pittsburg and North Carolina??

Any comments about Medical college of Wisconsin.

I have some visa restrictions so applied to only those programs that sponsers h1 visas.

I recieved interviews from UIC and SAINT LOUIS (MO) but they are offereing j1 visas, so I have no options but to say No to their offers.

J1 visa has the disadvantage that one cannot do fellowships such as STROKE, EPILEPSY on it.

Any input is highly appreciated.Keep the thread going.

I recieved an interview offer from WAYNE STATE UNIV, Detriot MI.

Any input about this program.

IMG NEURO DOC

I am currently a PGY-1 with a insatiable curiousity about which Neuro programs went unfilled last year from the SF Match...
Could anyone who has this please post it ???

Thanks

Hi,

I recieved an interview offer today from Case western Reserve.I'll be highly obliged if someone can tell his/her opinion about this program.

Thanks.

I'm currently doing my neurology clerkship at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, NY. I can answer a few questions about the program, if you're interested, but please send me a private mesage.

Good luck.