2006 Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just broke my cherry with Wake Forrest! Yes, its true, it does hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorNick83 said:
I just broke my cherry with Wake Forrest! Yes, its true, it does hurt.

SAME HERE!!! i got a two sentence letter saying they cannot accept my application. I got an email yesterday saying they got my primary and they will email me if they need more information. I figured they would email later with a secondary application,but rather got a rejection letter.. did you get the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys international students by the way? non us citizens or non green card holders?

Ditto....Got my reject today. damn, I had a 30 and a 3.8 and not even a secondary? Is Wake Forest that selective?

Sartre79 said:
Ditto....Got my reject today. damn, I had a 30 and a 3.8 and not even a secondary? Is Wake Forest that selective?

actually, the just pick out every fourth application and throw it away. i really don't know what their criteria are though. i wasn't too upset with my rejection, i had just kind of checked the box to apply. dang, $30 gone :( oh well. good luck with the rest.

Wow the applicant pool must be extremely good this year. My god!

If you guys with your stats are rejected already, then I have no chance anywhere haha.

Keep at it, and good luck. Don't let any of this bother you.

It looks like Wake Forest screened based on ECs and essays.

g3pro said:
It looks like Wake Forest screened based on ECs and essays.

I dunno. I did Teach for America, work in Asia, volunteered a ton, graduated from an Ivy, have a 37R, 3.3 BPCM and 3.8 AO. I think they look at a number of factors, to be honest, and are looking for BPCMs higher than mine. Regardless, it took less than 24 hours between receiving my initial and final screen emails to be rejected. Sigh.

MaiPenRai said:
I dunno. I did Teach for America, work in Asia, volunteered a ton, graduated from an Ivy, have a 37R, 3.3 BPCM and 3.8 AO. I think they look at a number of factors, to be honest, and are looking for BPCMs higher than mine. Regardless, it took less than 24 hours between receiving my initial and final screen emails to be rejected. Sigh.

Maybe the essay was not convincing enough for them? I have a feeling that they take a quick look at the GPA/MCAT to filter through the chaff and then gave the essay a quick glance and read through the list of ECs for the clincher.

If they didn't do the bare minimum, I don't know how they would think their admissions process is effective. It's certainly efficient if they have a 24 hour turnaround. :eek:

Maybe they read the application before it was verified and then waited until it was verified to send out the notice?

(BTW, don't consider graduating from an Ivy an advantage.)

No idea why WF would automatically reject 37R, 3.3 BPCM and 3.8 AO from an Ivy. Here's a question, though: will some schools reject applicants they consider unlikely to attend because they are unlikely to attend?

E.g., would the adcom at school x, where the mean is 30P +3.6, reason that the Harvard grad with a 39R and 3.9 is going to find a more attractive option elsewhere so why waste everyone's time?

g3pro said:
(BTW, don't consider graduating from an Ivy an advantage.)

Oh, goodness, I didn't mean to sound snobby or as though I did. I was just giving a fuller picture. My friends from school are actually having a horrible time getting in...

As for the essay, I'd like to think it was good...but I think everyone would! I guess time will tell...

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys all know we have a new thread for this, right?
Also the title of this thread should be '07 Rejections since we are trying to get into the 07 class. :)

steppwolf said:
No idea why WF would automatically reject 37R, 3.3 BPCM and 3.8 AO from an Ivy. Here's a question, though: will some schools reject applicants they consider unlikely to attend because they are unlikely to attend?

E.g., would the adcom at school x, where the mean is 30P +3.6, reason that the Harvard grad with a 39R and 3.9 is going to find a more attractive option elsewhere so why waste everyone's time?

Some law schools do this, but I'm not sure about med schools. My friend dealt with this with her safety law schools last year. It's yield protection, and is really kind of annoying if you really truly want to go to a school who has numbers below yours. But, like I said, I'm not really sure if med schools do this on a regular basis.

LauraPaz said:
Some law schools do this, but I'm not sure about med schools. My friend dealt with this with her safety law schools last year. It's yield protection, and is really kind of annoying if you really truly want to go to a school who has numbers below yours. But, like I said, I'm not really sure if med schools do this on a regular basis.

Actually I've heard many do. an admissions officer told us stories. one I remember was that at someone's interview at a suny school they were asking about columbia. and at the end of the interview he said. "im sorry, you look great. but i have no doubt that you will get into columbia. good luck."

personally i know that it's not uncommon for a strong applicant to be accepted at UMich but rejected at wayne state

Ironhead2000 said:
Actually I've heard many do. an admissions officer told us stories. one I remember was that at someone's interview at a suny school they were asking about columbia. and at the end of the interview he said. "im sorry, you look great. but i have no doubt that you will get into columbia. good luck."

personally i know that it's not uncommon for a strong applicant to be accepted at UMich but rejected at wayne state

Ok, I thought so. I've just heard it advertised much more widely in the world of law schools. I suppose it's really not all that surprising.

Ironhead2000 said:

That kind of stinks, though. Law school admissions are more numbers-based; if you have top numbers, you'll get into a top school- fair enough. You don't really need safety schools, unless you're fishing for scholarships. With med school admissions, you never know. Wayne State protecting its yield might have gotten them a 3.7/35 that just barely didn't make it at UMich.

Sartre79 said:

Got to go with no. I mean they wrote me and gave me the link to the secondary and parts of my application are terrible.(I mean my undergrad GPA is completely pathetic. Admittedly it's over 10 years old but that hasn't stopped other schools from obsessing over it.) Anyway hoping I'm going to have better luck this cycle.(Considering last cycle I got no interview. About the only significant thing I got was a case of autoimmune hepatitis :) )

Wouldn't it be ironic if my terrible undergrad GPA was actually working my favor then?

You know... by the reasoning on this thread. Hehe :)

MSTP? said:
I've got very similar numbers (35S MCAT though) with awesome ec's, too. That Ivy 3.3 bpcm killed ya (and me, too). I asked, it's a 3.5 bcpm and overall 3.5 strict cut off.

This low Ivy bpcm GPA is definitely going to hurt a lot in the application process.

maybe i'm reading what u wrote wrong, but u asked wake and they said 3.5 cutoff? that's not accurate because there are people who got screened in with lower

MSTP? said:
maybe they're URM or disadvantaged in some way, maybe wake just doesn't like ivies. they told me that they are looking for 3.5 bcpm and overall gpas, and that my mcat was competitive. that was their reason for screening me out in less than 24 hrs.
My BCPM was less than 3.5 - though not much less - and I got through a screen. And I'm a white Texas girl so def. not URM.

MSTP? said:
i don't know. maybe close to 3.5 is good enough (you also have a ridiculous, not simply good, mcat - if i remember correctly). i'm just informing you guys of what wake told me. like i said, maybe wake just doesn't like ivies or maybe 3.3 is not close enough to 3.5 or maybe my EC's that I think are good - aren't good enough.
Yeah - maybe mine was just close enough (I think it's like a 3.48 or something) - but they probably just realize you're too awesome to go there and you'll end up at HMS or something :D :luck: