2007-2008 Personal Statement Question Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'll read anyone's. i'm really good with grammatical errors and content. PM it to me.

Members don't see this ad.

To the Original Poster-

I have had trouble writing mine too. My own worst enemy has been being overly critical of myself and thinking too much. A while back someone on here posted a tip, and whether they were serious or not I don't know. They said something along the lines of Ernest Hemingway, when experiencing writers block, would purchase himself a nice bottle of booze and sit down with a pen and paper and get to work.

Out of desparation, last night I decided to give this a shot (or five:D). It resulted in an opening paragraph that very much impressed the sober me today. I found it much easier to open up and highlight my qualities. I went back at it tonight and am almost done with a rough draft. Hopefully after a few sober revisions, others will like it too.

It may be a bit unorthodox but it is working for me and is alot more fun!

quick question I am interested in a DO/PhD program so do you all think that I should express that interest in the general app.?

Yes

Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone wants to swtich personal statements PM me...mine should be done by thursday!

If you want to look at mine, Ill take a look at yours... just pm it to me.

anybody want to trade? just pm me...

I'll be happy to read and critique personal statements as well. Feel free to PM me. My writing & editing skills are better than my SDN posts might indicate.

Could you guys read mine as well????

Hi all,

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking a while. I will be applying during next year's cycle and so am just now starting to put together ideas for my P.S.

My main question is whether or not you all think I should omit the fact that I have Type I (child onset) diabetes from my PS? It relates to why I want to be a doctor (having been in hospitals/being exposed to the world through my disease from a young age and whatnot), which orginally made me think that I could include it in some way. Otherwise, I am not giving a full representation of my experiences that led to the choice to pursue medicine.

On the other hand, I am not sure if including the fact could hurt me by either a) giving the impression that I am trying to get pity points or b) giving them the impression that I cannot perform as a physician due to my diabetes.

Any advice? Anyone else have a disability that they included/didn't include for whatever reasons?

Thanks in advance.

If it's shaped the reasons and heck, your entire life, and who you are, I don't know why you'd leave something like that out.

If you write it correctly, it could be a great thing to write about. For instance, you'll only get pity points if you talk about how it kept you from doing certain things or interferred with your life. You should focus on how it taught you to overcome obstacles and made you a stronger person, as well as why it shaped your decision to become a doctor. One of the most important things in a personal statement is not why you want to help people, but why medicine. If this is the reason you chose medicine, you'd be stupid not to include it and talk about it.

In my personal statement, I wrote about how I've had two shoulder reconstructions and had screws put in my elbow because of injuries I've suffered through sports, and even though I can't play contact sports or even throw a baseball, I've begun participating long distance runs and triathalons because athletics is very important to me. Even though I've suffered injuries and set backs that kept me from playing competitive and most team sports, I've still found a way to stay active and compete against myself.

Also, have other people review it and give you feedback. There are numerous threads on SDN of people who are trading PSs with each other for peer review, so I'd recommend doing that too.

Finally, there is no reason why having diabetes would hinder your ability to become a good doctor. It's a disease that you've learned to manage and control so that it hasn't prevented you from getting this far in life, so why would it later? If anything, it will help you relate and be more compassionate with your patients. Good luck writing your PS and get that application in as soon as possible, applying early is critical.

front the point of view of someone (MS2) who sits and reads these things then interviews candidates, If you spin it in a -this is what I've been through and this is how its made me a better person and will make me a good doctor-, I would definitely write about it! There were a couple interviews that we specifically asked something like "so I read in your personal statement about X, tell me about that". And that started a whole conversation.

Like other people have said, no way you should go for pity points, because they most likely won't work, but if you go for a I'm a better person because of this, then you'll do well! Interviews and personal statements are all about getting to know you as a person and what's brought you to this point in your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would include it. I had some of my own medical issues growing up and I included them into my P.S. I got interviews from many schools. My issues were probably more "looked down upon" than a disorder that you had no control over, and if you are a strong person because of your experiences I would definetely include them. Also, I wouldn't shy away from being open about who you are and what has made you the person you are today.

front the point of view of someone (MS2) who sits and reads these things then interviews candidates, If you spin it in a -this is what I've been through and this is how its made me a better person and will make me a good doctor-, I would definitely write about it! There were a couple interviews that we specifically asked something like "so I read in your personal statement about X, tell me about that". And that started a whole conversation.

Like other people have said, no way you should go for pity points, because they most likely won't work, but if you go for a I'm a better person because of this, then you'll do well! Interviews and personal statements are all about getting to know you as a person and what's brought you to this point in your life.

I agree...if this has changed your life and made you want to be a doctor absolutely write about it! Good luck.

Thank you all for the help. I am going to need to work on it a bit to make sure that I do it the right way. Regardless, it is very reassuring to hear that it is not a taboo topic to write about. :)

Now on to the hard part...actually writing the darn thing.

I say include it briefly, even if it is the reason you want to be a doctor. I have several disabilities and have applied several times now... the feedback that I have gotten is that I put too much emphasis on my disabilities and not enough on the other things that would make me a good doctor. you need to find a good balance.

You should focus on how it taught you to overcome obstacles and made you a stronger person

This should be your main focus for bringing it up. Also to demonstrate your interest in medicine, but don't overdo this part. Anything that might tell the adcom that you won't be able to perform in med school should be struck. Diabetes doesn't seem to me to be something like that.

If you want to use your diabetes to your advantage, you have to be ready for it to be a disadvantage in the interview process. You could very well be asked if you are physically capable of handling the rigors of medicine. For example will you be able to control your sugar levels with the long hours and poor diet etc.

I have a somewhat similiar situationw ith my past medical history and only briefly mentioned it in my PS because it did influence my choice of medicine as a career. I was asked by a few docs at interviews to really consider if my body could take the pressures of medicine (even though my issues is a disease i had 15 years ago). It didn't hurt me getting into any of the schools though

My uncle is an MD and had tons of trouble getting into med school back in the 70s and was rejected twice becasue he had Type I and it was basically assumed he would not make it to 30 in those days. His persistence eventually got him in. He is now 56 and is still practicing and, needless to say, has kept great control of his illness.

Thank god times have changed both in medicine and with society. I think if you spin it in a positive light as to the strength and discipline it has taught you and how that would make you a better physician like the others have said, it could be a great PS. Good luck.

I don't think you should. The fact that you consider Type I diabetes a "disability" speaks to how you yourself feels about your disease. Although I think diabetes is definately life impacting, I don't consider it to be a disability. It almost sound somewhat self defeating. I don't want to undermine the diffiulties you have faced because of this terrible disease, but in most cases it can be controlled with meds and diet.

I have worked for years with people who do have disabilites, and they don't refer to themselves as disabled (even the 32 year old man with cerebral palsy with little use of his arms and legs.) If you are going to include it in your apps, address it as an obstacle, and not a disability. Best of luck to you!

I don't think you should. The fact that you consider Type I diabetes a "disability" speaks to how you yourself feels about your disease. Although I think diabetes is definately life impacting, I don't consider it to be a disability. It almost sound somewhat self defeating. I don't want to undermine the diffiulties you have faced because of this terrible disease, but in most cases it can be controlled with meds and diet.

I have worked for years with people who do have disabilites, and they don't refer to themselves as disabled (even the 32 year old man with cerebral palsy with little use of his arms and legs.) If you are going to include it in your apps, address it as an obstacle, and not a disability. Best of luck to you!

I don't refer to myself as disabled, either. The disability part comes from the fact that it is listed within the first 3 diseases under the disabilities act (which, honestly, was shocking to me). I am more worried that other people see it as a disability, while I think I do just fine with it (in fact, I am fully convinced that I would not have done nearly as well in school without it. :p)

Also, just to correct - type 1 cannot be controlled with diet. I can eat whatever I want so long as I give myself insulin for it. Type II's have to control their diet because of the weight problems that cause it. The diabetes medications out there (besides insulin) are for type 2 diabetics, which is much more common.

That is the whole point, as well - I do take care of myself and accomplish a lot, so I do not *need* to mention my diabetes in order to get extra consideration just for having a disease. I feel that I could turn in a perfectly generic, overachiever's application and still have a good chance to get in (in other words, including it is not to make up for some bad record or anything).

The reason I want to bring it up is because it directly exposed me to the world of medicine as a patient with a chronic disease. This is an experience not many people have had, and I honestly feel that having the disease benefits me in many ways (I grew up faster, took responsibility for myself, etc). These characteristics are what would make me a good doctor and I can't ignore that they are due, in part, to the fact that I have had a chronic illness from age 11.

Thanks for all the feedback - I am prepared to hear the questions about whether I can physically perform the job. But hey, I emailed a doctor with diabetes, who told me that he used to have nurses slip him glucose tabs under his mask in between performing surgery. If he can do it, why can't I?:)

I was told that the word limit for osteopathic school personal statements were 3000 characters, however, looking on this years application it shows a limit of 4500. Does anyone know why they increased the limit?

How is everyone defining their personal statements as osteopathically oriented?

Personally I didn't gear mine to osteopathy at all, when I wrote mine last year. I wrote one personal statement that I sent to both AAMCAS as well as AACOMAS. It focoused on why I wanted to be a physician period. If you want to add an Osteopathic touch to it you can. Just make sure your PS is very well written. I spent over a month writting and editing my PS. The PS is a place where you want to make yourself shine. You want to stand out so the ADCOM's will choose you for an interview.

I did not stress osteopathy in my personal statement either.

I agree with the other posters, it isn't necessary to have your PS have an osteo touch. Write why you want to be a dr and save the, why DO, question for the secondaries.

I also agree that the PS should not be DO centered.

Personally I didn't gear mine to osteopathy at all, when I wrote mine last year. I wrote one personal statement that I sent to both AAMCAS as well as AACOMAS. It focoused on why I wanted to be a physician period. If you want to add an Osteopathic touch to it you can. Just make sure your PS is very well written. I spent over a month writting and editing my PS. The PS is a place where you want to make yourself shine. You want to stand out so the ADCOM's will choose you for an interview.

wouldn't the adcom's probably look at the secondary essays more?

I'm looking for feedback on my first draft of my PS. Thanks to anyone willing to help put in some input.

Hey, I wrote my personal statement and I would like to have a few people look it over. If you wouldn't mind, please IM me on AIM, my screen name is: michael20012003.

I appreciate it, thank you.

-Mike

I'm having a really hard time limiting myself to 4500 characters. Anyone have any suggestions?

do you put one space or two spaces after periods?

If so... put only one...

I'm having a really hard time limiting myself to 4500 characters. Anyone have any suggestions?

I had the same problem last year. You need to read over your PS to yourself a few times. See if something could be said in more condensed way. For me it was a matter of taking out one sentence. I would have friends, family as well as an english professor help you with it. I'm sure you will be able to cut down.

That's not a big deal to do only one space? They won't think I'm a complete idiot or anything?

Can anyone look over my personal statement and give me some pointers. I'm about 180 words over, so if you think there's anything I can leave out let me know. I'll PM it to you if you'd like to take a look.

Thanks.

That's not a big deal to do only one space? They won't think I'm a complete idiot or anything?

The only reason that two spaces were used after a period during the 'typewriter' age was because original typewriters had monospaced fonts. The extra space was needed for the eye to pick up on the beginning of a new sentence.

Spacing after a period is irrelevant since most fonts used today are proportional.

Using one space is more common and just as "correct" as using two. You'll be fine!

It's at the right length now, so if you just want to look it over and tell me what you think I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks! That was such a good tip. I finally got it down to 4499. I'm so happy.

It's at the right length now, so if you just want to look it over and tell me what you think I'd really appreciate it.

I can take a look at it for you. PM me and I should have it done tonight. I won't be home until 7pm (central) so I won't be able to look at it until then, but I should have it to you sometime tonight.

The only reason that two spaces were used after a period during the 'typewriter' age was because original typewriters had monospaced fonts. The extra space was needed for the eye to pick up on the beginning of a new sentence.

Spacing after a period is irrelevant since most fonts used today are proportional.

Using one space is more common and just as "correct" as using two. You'll be fine!

wow

Hi, I really need help with my personal statement for AACOMAS. My word count is a little bit over but I really need someone who understands about osteopathic medicine to read it for me. my friends don't seem to get it.

thanks.

i can look at it...

Hi, I really need help with my personal statement for AACOMAS. My word count is a little bit over but I really need someone who understands about osteopathic medicine to read it for me. my friends don't seem to get it.

thanks.

if you need a second/third set of eyes... PM me for my e-mail.

Hi guys. This is my second time applying to DO school. I though my personal statement last year was kick a$$ so I've used a lot of it for my new personal statement. Actually my first paragraph is exactly the same. Is this a no no? Are the schools going to compare the two? Thanks!!

Hi guys. This is my second time applying to DO school. I though my personal statement last year was kick a$$ so I've used a lot of it for my new personal statement. Actually my first paragraph is exactly the same. Is this a no no? Are the schools going to compare the two? Thanks!!

I would only change your PS if you have done something this year that will show the ADCOM's a different side of yourself. I don't know what your MCAT or GPA was to see if that was holding you back. Did you have good LOR's and EC's. Correct the part of your application that is not up to par.

I think I saw something about this in the Reapplicants forum, did you try doing a search there?

Hi, I am almost finishing up my PS but I faced this issue of whether I should save my explanation for wanting to go into osteopathic for the secondaries or if it doesn't hurt to include this in my PS. I can definately explain further about my reasons in the secondaries but I surely don't want to repeat myself.

pleaset let me know~

Yeah I placed about two sentences specifically stating about Osteopathic Medicine. It might be beneficial because it shows that you seriously are thinking about D.O. and not just doing it as a back up. I wouldn't waste to much time on it though, because you only have a small space to write.