2007 Official Decision Thread (i.e. where are you going?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's wrong, then I don't want to be right. I actually went on an Ikea run today. Sometimes you just need those $2.50 hot dog value meals and those $.50 mugs.

I will be attending the University of IKEA!!! LOL!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is obsessed with that store. I was stoked to find out that the city I will be at for grad school has an IKEA; that's why I picked that location! LOL JK!:banana:

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending the University of IKEA!!! LOL!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is obsessed with that store. I was stoked to find out that the city I will be at for grad school has an IKEA; that's why I picked that location! LOL JK!:banana:

I use to live a couple miles from one.....it was awesome. It is the perfect college/post college 'stuff' store.

-t

Mine will be about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from the nearest IKEA+pity+so....I'm pretty sad about that, but I will be stocking up and making everyone I know that has a car help with the move!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be about five hours from one, but that's a lot closer than I am to one right now so it's still a move in the right direction! :laugh:

I had an offer from a school that is really close (as in, less than a half hour probably) from TWO Ikea stores! The decision to turn them down was probably the hardest one I've ever made. Unbelievable.:thumbdown: But, at least now I'll be going somewhere that I can afford furniture, as well as an apartment! :)

Okay, so I have a confession to make: I have never been to an Ikea store, or seen an Ikea catalog. I have a sister in another state who is obsessed with the store as well.

What's the big deal? :confused: They are building one not to far from the school I accepted. I guess that's a good thing? Someone educate me, please! I feel like I am missing out on something... :(

I didn't understand it either until I experienced for myself. You go in the front doors and suddenly you lose track of time and find yourself wandering from one cool ridiculously low-priced thing to another. Before you know it you're lost somewhere in the middle of their weird spiral-designed store, and you think "hmm... I could die in here, but at least I'll die happy"

Wanabe, get thee to the newly-built ikea when it's ready. Bring friends.

Have a meatball.

Welcome to civilization. ;-)

First and foremost, I have actually finalized my decision as of today. I will be going to Suffolk University for the clinical Ph.D program. There is an Ikea within a 45 minute drive, so that's very good news.

Secondly, Ikea is like a theme park for adults. They have tasty and unbelievably cheap food and desserts, display rooms to wander through to show you just how amazing you can make your new swedish furniture look, and then you walk into the aforementioned spiral design of shopping wonder. Their carts not only roll back and forth but also sideways! Lastly, everything has an adorable name (like Malm or Billy) and they care about the environment enough to charge for use of their plastic bags. You really have to experience it for yourself. Description alone won't do it justice. :clap:

Okay, so I have a confession to make: I have never been to an Ikea store, or seen an Ikea catalog. I have a sister in another state who is obsessed with the store as well.

What's the big deal? :confused: They are building one not to far from the school I accepted. I guess that's a good thing? Someone educate me, please! I feel like I am missing out on something... :(

:laugh: Glad I'm not the only one. I've heard of Ikea in passing but no clue what the attraction is to it. I looked 'em up online but maybe I'm missing something? :confused: Of course, if it has anything to do with shopping, I likely won't get it simply because I absolutely hate it. Ah, well. I shall live. I suppose.

First and foremost, I have actually finalized my decision as of today. I will be going to Suffolk University for the clinical Ph.D program. There is an Ikea within a 45 minute drive, so that's very good news.

Congrats on the decision!!

:laugh: Glad I'm not the only one. I've heard of Ikea in passing but no clue what the attraction is to it. I looked 'em up online but maybe I'm missing something? :confused: Of course, if it has anything to do with shopping, I likely won't get it simply because I absolutely hate it. Ah, well. I shall live. I suppose.

I'm not sure we can be friends now.

Although, the IKEA website isn't nearly as awesome as the store itself. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I went to this website and browsed a bit to see what all the noise was about. I liked what I saw: it looks like the stuff they have at Target (don't get me started on Target!), and so I will certainly hit a store when I come across one.

BUT THEN I found a button for office stuff. I'm not moving for grad school (i.e., the school is close to my current home), so we've decided to finish a part of the garage and make it into an office for me. Ikea had this program I could download, put in dimensions and features of the room and then play dollhouse with it! Now THAT was fun! :D

Thanks Baloo!

We've created an IKEA monster! :laugh:

I'm getting a bit excited about U of S now. My parents were talking about letting me take my dad's car, and it's a good excuse for me to buy a new computer. lol

Now if only there was an IKEA closer...

Okay, okay. I am green with envy over all of you talking about going to IKEA to get things for the fun, new places you'll get to go in the fall. Portland is getting an IKEA this summer, and I am ridiculously excited about it. I think my mom will love it. I used to frequent the one in Oakland when I lived down in San Francisco.

My real love for IKEA came when I studied abroad in Budapest in the fall of 2002. The school owned a handful of brand new apartments in a residential part of the city and all of the students lived together. Our apartments were completely furnished with new IKEA everything- we loved it. The best part was that IKEA was just blocks away from us, and everything was SO cheap! Sometimes, when my roommates and I were feeling a little bit down, we trekked on over to the IKEA for meatballs or cake or Swedish crackers and then got lost in the bedding and kitchen setups. It was a beautiful thing.

I hope all of you going on your new furnishing trips to IKEA this summer have an excellent time! Maybe it will be me next year...

I turned down my only offer on Friday.

We've created an IKEA monster! :laugh:

I'm getting a bit excited about U of S now. My parents were talking about letting me take my dad's car, and it's a good excuse for me to buy a new computer. lol

Now if only there was an IKEA closer...

RayneeDeigh, I had to do a double-take when I read your post. At first glance, I thought you wrote U of Snow (i.e., Jon Snow has a school now??!Is it a professional school? ;))

Haha! :laugh:

Okay, okay. I am green with envy over all of you talking about going to IKEA to get things for the fun, new places you'll get to go in the fall. Portland is getting an IKEA this summer, and I am ridiculously excited about it. I think my mom will love it. I used to frequent the one in Oakland when I lived down in San Francisco.

My real love for IKEA came when I studied abroad in Budapest in the fall of 2002. The school owned a handful of brand new apartments in a residential part of the city and all of the students lived together. Our apartments were completely furnished with new IKEA everything- we loved it. The best part was that IKEA was just blocks away from us, and everything was SO cheap! Sometimes, when my roommates and I were feeling a little bit down, we trekked on over to the IKEA for meatballs or cake or Swedish crackers and then got lost in the bedding and kitchen setups. It was a beautiful thing.

I hope all of you going on your new furnishing trips to IKEA this summer have an excellent time! Maybe it will be me next year...

I turned down my only offer on Friday.

I hope you are satisfied with your choice Duckygirl. Here's to good things next year! :luck:

And you don't have to wait to be going to graduate school before you go shopping at Ikea, you know!

I don't know if the one near my school has even been started yet. It probably won't be built for another year anyway, so I have to wait with you!

Thanks, Psychwanabe. I'm not really "satisfied" so to speak, but I now know that PsyD programs aren't really for me. I would have been miserable in their program. I am more satisfied in knowing that I was on the waiting list at a few REALLY great programs. I think my test scores made it impossible for me to be a first-choice candidate at many schools, but I must have been doing a few things right. I take solace in the fact that although I sucked this year, next year has GOT to be better. Hang in tight for your IKEA! I'll give the board an update on the glorious progress our IKEA makes until it opens.

I think if I bring home much more stuff until I move out that my parents will will have a fit!

RayneeDeigh, I had to do a double-take when I read your post. At first glance, I thought you wrote U of Snow (i.e., Jon Snow has a school now??!Is it a professional school? ;))

Haha! :laugh:

Haha with the way winters are in Saskatoon, it may as well be U of Snow.

Thanks, Psychwanabe. I'm not really "satisfied" so to speak, but I now know that PsyD programs aren't really for me. I would have been miserable in their program. I am more satisfied in knowing that I was on the waiting list at a few REALLY great programs. I think my test scores made it impossible for me to be a first-choice candidate at many schools, but I must have been doing a few things right. I take solace in the fact that although I sucked this year, next year has GOT to be better. Hang in tight for your IKEA! I'll give the board an update on the glorious progress our IKEA makes until it opens.

I think if I bring home much more stuff until I move out that my parents will will have a fit!

Aw that's a good attitude. I hope you get in next year!

accepted offer at chicago school of professional psychology child adolescent track- anyone else?

Accepted offer at The University of Central Florida I/O PhD

I accepted at Wheaton PsyD program and turned down Indiana State PsyD... so that should have freed that up for someone else. Is anyone else going to Wheaton?

I will be attending the School of Rock if I don't hear anything soon! On a serious note, I've been told by an assistant director of admissions that my intended program sent me word via a letter on Tuesday. She mentioned I would see it by next Monday at the latest. I don't know if I can handle another weekend of wondering and examining the possibilities! Any advice?

I will be attending the School of Rock if I don't hear anything soon! On a serious note, I've been told by an assistant director of admissions that my intended program sent me word via a letter on Tuesday. She mentioned I would see it by next Monday at the latest. I don't know if I can handle another weekend of wondering and examining the possibilities! Any advice?

Drinking heavily worked for me. :rolleyes:

Now, as a future psychologist I will tell that drinking is a maladaptive behavior and a negative coping strategy and will not solve any problems for you.

Having said that, yoga did not work as well as drinking did! :D

Seriously, sicologia I am so sorry that you are still hanging on without an answer! I wish I had something constructive and helpful for you. Put your head down and work, maybe? Then at least you're brain is too busy to think about it and you're being productive at the same time.

I did that during my waitlist month and it helped some. :confused:

Drinking heavily worked for me. :rolleyes:

Now, as a future psychologist I will tell that drinking is a maladaptive behavior and a negative coping strategy and will not solve any problems for you.

Having said that, yoga did not work as well as drinking did! :D

Seriously, sicologia I am so sorry that you are still hanging on without an answer! I wish I had something constructive and helpful for you. Put your head down and work, maybe? Then at least you're brain is too busy to think about it and you're being productive at the same time.

I did that during my waitlist month and it helped some. :confused:

Well, thanks! I don't do yoga much because I'm slightly impatient, although I always wanted to try either yoga or tai chi. I can watch folks do tai chi in the park all day. It looks very relaxing and I'm sure it would center me more! Gave up drinking over a year ago (and lovin' it), so I have to scrap that idea! But, yeah...you're definetely right about how work can distract you from the process. Although, I currently work as a psychologist in the schools and I'm still constantly thinking about it!

I do have to update that I think my chances are looking a little brighter! The program has, at least, been returning all of my emails and remaining very kind to me! Hope it all turns out for the best!

Well, thanks! I don't do yoga much because I'm slightly impatient, although I always wanted to try either yoga or tai chi. I can watch folks do tai chi in the park all day. It looks very relaxing and I'm sure it would center me more! Gave up drinking over a year ago (and lovin' it), so I have to scrap that idea! But, yeah...you're definetely right about how work can distract you from the process. Although, I currently work as a psychologist in the schools and I'm still constantly thinking about it!

I do have to update that I think my chances are looking a little brighter! The program has, at least, been returning all of my emails and remaining very kind to me! Hope it all turns out for the best!

I'm going to quote myself here because it was mere hours ago when I posted this! I was going to mention why I thought I had a better chance, but I didn't want to spoil it! The last email I got didn't say one way or the other, but it made me feel as if I should expect something good in the mail!

So, I got to my mailbox about an hour ago and received an acceptance letter. I will be attending PCOM's PsyD program in Philadelphia in the fall of 2007. As you can probably imagine, I'm very excited!

I'm going to quote myself here because it was mere hours ago when I posted this! I was going to mention why I thought I had a better chance, but I didn't want to spoil it! The last email I got didn't say one way or the other, but it made me feel as if I should expect something good in the mail!

So, I got to my mailbox about an hour ago and received an acceptance letter. I will be attending PCOM's PsyD program in Philadelphia in the fall of 2008. As you can probably imagine, I'm very excited!

Yea! Congrats! :hardy:

So, I got to my mailbox about an hour ago and received an acceptance letter. I will be attending PCOM's PsyD program in Philadelphia in the fall of 2008. As you can probably imagine, I'm very excited!

ru taking a year off? since you stated 2008....

Whoops! That's supposed to read 2007. I'll start in the fall! Thanks.

will be attending Yeshiva University/Ferkauf Psyd. Congrats everyone!:thumbup:

Accepted offer at The University of Central Florida I/O PhD

HI!!! I will also be attending University of Central Florida, but for the clinical PhD! I am from NJ so I cant wait to move! Maybe we will have some basic classes together!

Yesterday I officially accepted an offer from Suffolk.

Yesterday I officially accepted an offer from Suffolk.

Hey, hey- Congratulations! I thought you were the one who said weeks ago they were not going to school next year...Did I mix you up with someone else? Glad to hear you'll be off somewhere in the fall! Are you excited?

Hey, hey- Congratulations! I thought you were the one who said weeks ago they were not going to school next year...Did I mix you up with someone else? Glad to hear you'll be off somewhere in the fall! Are you excited?

yes, actually i am that person. it's a loooong story, but to make it short, i thought i was rejected when in fact i was waitlisted (but never knew) and got a call out of the blue offering me admission. yes, i'm very excited!

i was actually in the process of interviewing at several sites for a new job, and was getting really disheartened about entering the work world when i got the call. i'm actually kind of glad it all worked out this way!

yes, actually i am that person. it's a loooong story, but to make it short, i thought i was rejected when in fact i was waitlisted (but never knew) and got a call out of the blue offering me admission. yes, i'm very excited!

i was actually in the process of interviewing at several sites for a new job, and was getting really disheartened about entering the work world when i got the call. i'm actually kind of glad it all worked out this way!

That's pretty frickin' awesome. Good for you! Yay Suffolk! Here comes Guarinis!

I'm accepting an offer for a full-time research job. Not quite the original goal, but almost definitely what I should be doing now. :)

hi guys,

i accepted at Boston College (PhD counseling psych)...i slacked off on posting because my computer crashed a couple weeks ago :(

.....i slacked off on posting because my computer crashed a couple weeks ago :(

For the love of your sanity.....PLEASE invest in at least TWO back-up sources for your personal data.

1. External HD (You can get them for $60-$100+). I have a Western Digital 250GB My Book, another 250GB external HD for my photography, and an internal HD for critical doc redundancy....see below why I have this setup. :laugh: ).
2. CD / DVD Backup. Media is pennies per disc, there is no reason why should shouldn't do this at least every 2-4 weeks.
3. External Thumb Drive / USB / Fireware etc.

Most labs should/will have back-up systems, but some places are better than others about full backups/mirrors. Some do it nightly, others weekly, etc. I do the majority of my work on my laptop or server, so you need personal backup options.

I lost most of a semester's worth of notes, and a month or so of research because of a fluke accident. My laptop and server died within 5 min of each other. My laptop HD died, and then I went to work on my server.....only to turn it on and have my power supply catch fire and fry my HDs, system board, RAM, etc.

A UPS is also a good idea.....one of those things you plug your computer into in the case of a power outage, spike in electric, lightening, etc. Down here in FL, it has already paid for itself bc of our funky weather and outages.

Further Backup Options / Discussion HERE.

-t

Mine will be about 3 1/2 to 4 hours from the nearest IKEA+pity+so....I'm pretty sad about that, but I will be stocking up and making everyone I know that has a car help with the move!

Ok somehow I managed to get into grad school yet...I'm stupid and just realized the other day, that there is an Ikea 1 1/2 hours from my school - not 4 hours away! Yea uh, I don't know, don't ask.....I am just glad to now know that there is one much closer than I thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.