2007 Official Decision Thread (i.e. where are you going?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an offer from the University of Saskatchewan, complete with amazing teaching assistantship and other opportunities.

I have the weekend to decide.

The prof talked with me for over an hour about my concerns regarding license mobility in the US/Canada. He's such a nice person, this makes my decision really really hard.

Nothing like making life-changing decisions while writing final exams, eh? :laugh:

Sounds cool RayneeDeigh. Congratulations! I would take it. How hard could it be to get licensed in the U.S. once you have a Ph.D. from a good Canadian school? You might not even want to practice in the U.S. or you may want to stay in academia so the licensure would be irrelevant. You might get married and your husband might say, "I am not going to live in a place where hockey takes a second seat to other sports!:laugh: "

Also, Saskatchewan is an interesting name. If you play around with the letters you get Saskewatch (isn't that Big Foot's real name?:laugh: "

Seriously, this is a good offer. That other professional school which would have put you in debt for the rest of your life was absurd but this sound great!

The only downside is that you might be kicked out of our SDN Jazz club. I mean, none of the top Jazz people had Ph.D.'s. That awful pianist does (I can't think of his name) but no one else. Don't worry, you can keep the pink shirt.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds cool RayneeDeigh. Congratulations! I would take it. How hard could it be to get licensed in the U.S. once you have a Ph.D. from a good Canadian school? You might not even want to practice in the U.S. or you may want to stay in academia so the licensure would be irrelevant. You might get married and your husband might say, "I am not going to live in a place where hockey takes a second seat to other sports!:laugh: "

Also, Saskatchewan is an interesting name. If you play around with the letters you get Saskewatch (isn't that Big Foot's real name?:laugh: "

Seriously, this is a good offer. That other professional school which would have put you in debt for the rest of your life was absurd but this sound great!

The only downside is that you might be kicked out of our SDN Jazz club. I mean, none of the top Jazz people had Ph.D.'s. That awful pianist does (I can't think of his name) but no one else. Don't worry, you can keep the pink shirt.:laugh:

Thank you :D

I was in the middle of replying to your PM when the phone rang and since then I've been running around. lol. I promise I'll reply soon! (I just have to eat lunch first)

The prof just emailed me contact info for students who are currently in his lab, and he's asked them to help me which is really good.

It sounds like a great opportunity and I think I'll likely take it.

Lucky I have a jazz concert tonight to give me a break from thinking!

The prof just emailed me contact info for students who are currently in his lab, and he's asked them to help me which is really good.

Yay Raynee! This is so exciting! I don't know anything about USask, but you seem happy. The more people we have going off to school next year, the better! Good luck! We'll all be waiting to hear what you decide.

See people? You can get into a school last minute and still bask in graduate glory! Yay for the waitlist!

Congras Raynee! I'm glad things worked out for you!! :D

I just received an offer from the University of Saskatchewan, complete with amazing teaching assistantship and other opportunities.

Or should we say...congratulations Dr. RayneeDeigh!?

My husband & I loved your sock puppets and wish you well. ;)

P.S. Can we purchase one of your sock puppets for our son?

Congrats RayneeDeigh!!

You're always so supportive on this forum and I'm so glad that you have this opportunity (regardless of if you take it or not). Good luck with that decision!

To sunkyst11: I just wanted to say a HUGE congrats on your acceptance to Rutgers PsyD program. It's one of the best in the nation and I know it's extremely competitive. You should be so proud. Enjoy!!!

And because so many people are making their decisions... once again congrats to everyone!!!:hardy:

The prof talked with me for over an hour about my concerns regarding license mobility in the US/Canada. He's such a nice person, this makes my decision really really hard.

Nothing like making life-changing decisions while writing final exams, eh? :laugh:

Oh, this is great! Congrats--they made you wait long enough! :hardy:

G'luck with your decision and your finals. :luck:

Or should we say...congratulations Dr. RayneeDeigh!?

My husband & I loved your sock puppets and wish you well. ;)

P.S. Can we purchase one of your sock puppets for our son?

Don't be silly, just PM me your address (and any colour/design requests... like how many heads you want it to have) and I'll make you one as soon as my finals are over. :)

And thank you to everybody who is being so supportive and excited for me!

To anybody still on waiting lists, don't lose hope. A month ago I was completely resigned to the notion that I would be going nowhere for a year. It's not over yet for you guys!

Congrats Raynee! That's awesome. I'm really happy for you!

Members don't see this ad :)

woot woot! rock it out, Raynee! That's pretty sweet :clap: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove: :biglove:

You deserve it!

*ella

I somehow missed this entirely.

Congrats Raynee!

Congrats psychwanabe!

I went to X for undergrad and absolutely love the school. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Congratulations psychwanabe and Raynee!!!!
A dancing banana for you both! :banana:

Man you guys are so supportive, can I pack you up and take you with me? :laugh:

I still haven't made up my mind. It goes back and forth depending on the minute, it's making me feel psycho!

Part of it is just that I'm too Type A for my own good and I want a school where ALL students manage to get out of courses and into an internship after 4 years instead of 5 or 6. But I don't even think such a place exists. I'll just have to do my best to stay on schedule. I changed my major twice and still managed to graduate with an honours degree on time in Undergrad, so perhaps I can give up sleep and do it again.

I've also heard that one of the supervisors is really disorganized, but I'm a freakishly organized person myself so this doesn't seem like such a huge deal. Am I wrong? Tell me if I'm nuts please. lol

I think at this point I'm ready to accept if I could just stop freaking myself out. I've been in school since I was 2 years old (my parents had the bright idea to send me to a private preschool, which was actually kinda cool) so I'm wondering if I need a break. But I guess four months is as good a break as any!

I apologize for the sheer length of this post, I'm trying to talk things through outloud. lol

By the way I'm feeling generous and I need something to do this summer so if anybody wants a sock creature sometime between now and August, lemme know.

*cough* sign me up please *cough* :oops:

I up your *cough* with a *cough, cough* as my son would get a kick out of these. :D

Of course, now that I think about it, he might enjoy making one himself--I may have to go buy me the sock puppet bible or book or whatever it's called.

:laugh: I'm not ruling it out, T4C!

Paramour, is your son old enough not to eat buttons? lol I don't want to be the cause of his untimely choking (as opposed to timely choking, I suppose). I can do buttons or embroidery I think.

Congrats psychwanabe!

I went to X for undergrad and absolutely love the school. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Thanks a lot! I hear that anyone who goes to X loves X forever! Some kind of brainwashing, I think... :p

Congratulations psychwanabe and Raynee!!!!
A dancing banana for you both! :banana:

Thanks a bunch! :D

I can so picture RD 8-10 years down the road sitting in her office with a patient doing, 'Now tell the sock puppet how you are feeling...'

:lol:

-t

OMG I just laughed so loud and the whole room looked at me!!

...nice one...

:laugh: I'm not ruling it out, T4C!

Paramour, is your son old enough not to eat buttons? lol I don't want to be the cause of his untimely choking (as opposed to timely choking, I suppose). I can do buttons or embroidery I think.

At 6, he better darned well be! :laugh:

T4C's sock puppet scenario made me think about those stupid caveman insurance commericals--y'know, the one where the guy's sitting in a therapist's office with a caveman doll. :rolleyes:

At 6, he better darned well be! :laugh:

T4C's sock puppet scenario made me think about those stupid caveman insurance commericals--y'know, the one where the guy's sitting in a therapist's office with a caveman doll. :rolleyes:

LOL note to self: design a caveman sock puppet

I would totally pay you for a sock puppet. He can be my consolation prize. ;) You could make a business out of this...

Well, this is it for me. Even though I waited on NIU's wait list for almost seven weeks and was the first alternate for the past few weeks, I received my rejection today. I was the first one this year to get a post-interview rejection and I was one of the last lingering on a wait list.

To be honest, I am not upset. This may sound weird, but I was likely to turn down that Ph.D. offer. The more I looked into Wake Forest's M.A. program, the more I fell in love with it. Yeah, it sucks that I have to reapply, but WFU is a top-ranked program. I am happy of where I am going and that the stress of waiting is over.

So I'll won't be disappearing anytime soon--I'll definitely use SDN next time I apply. :)

Well, this is it for me. Even though I waited on NIU's wait list for almost seven weeks and was the first alternate for the past few weeks, I received my rejection today. I was the first one this year to get a post-interview rejection and I was one of the last lingering on a wait list.

To be honest, I am not upset. This may sound weird, but I was likely to turn down that Ph.D. offer. The more I looked into Wake Forest's M.A. program, the more I fell in love with it. Yeah, it sucks that I have to reapply, but WFU is a top-ranked program. I am happy of where I am going and that the stress of waiting is over.

So I'll won't be disappearing anytime soon--I'll definitely use SDN next time I apply. :)

I'm happy for you that things are finally settled and no longer up in the air. I think you'll be happy at Wake Forest.

Congrats, Raynee. Good luck with whatever you decide. I personally think it's very hard to find a place where everyone gets out in 4. There may be an odd student every year or so who works out it this way, but 5 years seems a lot more likely. And I'm currently still in grad school in a one year Masters course, which I suppose is a bit of a break. There are positives to be had from it, but I also thought very strongly about going to Ph.D. straight through.

So I have finally made my decision! Talk about cutting it close... I will be attending the University of Indianapolis in the fall. :D

The decision is quite bittersweet however, because my girlfriend of 4 years will be attending optometry school somewhere on the west coast (either in northern cal or in oregon). Its gonna be difficult not to be near her for so long. :(:(:( I am committed to the relationship, and I really want it to work. I am hopeful that we will be able to see eachother at least once a month during school (either i fly there, she flys to me, or we both fly to somewhere in the middle).

any advice about it?

congrats to everyone else who is making their final decisions!

So I have finally made my decision! Talk about cutting it close... I will be attending the University of Indianapolis in the fall. :D

The decision is quite bittersweet however, because my girlfriend of 4 years will be attending optometry school somewhere on the west coast (either in northern cal or in oregon). Its gonna be difficult not to be near her for so long. :(:(:( I am committed to the relationship, and I really want it to work. I am hopeful that we will be able to see eachother at least once a month during school (either i fly there, she flys to me, or we both fly to somewhere in the middle).

any advice about it?

congrats to everyone else who is making their final decisions!

First, congrats on your decision! :hardy:

I believe that you could definitely make your relationship work IF you BOTH put effort into it. I wanted to comment more on the once a month thing though.

My partner was working out-of-state contracts for close to 3 years. It was only 6 hours away, yet it was hard as hell for us to actually stick with the once a month thing. We started out with him coming home weekends, then every other week, then 3, then 4--then finally it was 4-6 weeks. Sometimes I'd go visit him (for hockey games!!) but it was still somewhat stressful to plan (we had to worry about juggling a kid & cats though). If he was any further away than that, I'm not sure we would have made it that often. It doesn't seem like much initially, but when you start doing it, it can become a chore after a while . . . and it didn't help that gas prices starting going up tremendously shortly after he started this.

Hmm, so what am I getting at here? Travel can be and is stressful. Trying to "fit one in for the month" can make it even more so, even though you're doing it as pleasure. You might start out okay, but I suspect that it could become a strain after the first trip or two, particularly with the distance. Add that to all the work you both will have during these years and you'll both be stressed, wondering which weekend's best for the both of you because either you have something going on, she does, or you both do. You don't want to feel guilty because you want to focus on that upcoming test, paper, or whatever, rather than hopping the next red-eye to other side of the country.

NOW, having said all of that, I still believe it possible that you make the relationship work if you both put the commitment & effort into it. HOWEVER, I think seeing one another once a month may be pushing it--You may need to be a bit more flexible and/or willing to go slightly longer before you can see your loved one for your next fix.

Whatever you choose, make sure you sit down & discuss it with her. She may have entirely different thoughts on what to do--maybe she doesn't want the additional strain? 'Tis amazing how many people assume their significant others wish to continue the relationship after a relocation when that person actually feels otherwise. If she wants to make a go of it, then decide what you want to do with her . . . and regardless, make sure you're both FLEXIBLE when attempting to determine who's visiting who and when they're visiting. It's not unreasonable that your relationship continue; it's just going to take some work to do it. And, not everyone finds that they can handle such a change in their relationship dynamic.

Hope at least some of this made sense--I just woke up and I'm still slightly comatose. :D

G'luck! :luck:

As we speak, I am putting the finishing touches on my acceptance email to the U of Saskatchewan. The prof has just been so willing to talk through things with me and provide me with great access to the honest opinions of his students. I would be a fool not to accept. :laugh: I'll have to get used to living in a much smaller city than I'm used to. I think if I make sure to sign up for unlimited long distance so I can call my friends, I shouldn't get TOO lonely.

I've also been looking into VISA issues extensively (I swear I'm going to marry the people who invented Google) and it seems like there will be options for me once I have my degree. So, I'm going to do something completely out of character for me, and jump in headfirst while wishing for the best. Hehe.

I get to meet the lab group in San Francisco which is such a happy coincidence!

So there you have it folks, I went from being a stressed out and hopeful undergrad, to a depressed and fatalistic grad school reject, to an excited but conflicted successful applicant, to now a future Ph.D. student. I think I need a drink. :laugh:

Look at this, it's so verbose. I'm disappointed in myself. haha. But anyway, thanks to everybody who posted and sent such nice PMs congratulating me! I'm happy for all of us who got in, and extremely optimistic and hopeful for the ones who are facing another round of applications. There isn't anyone here that I don't think would make a fantastic Psychologist. And on a really sappy note, I'm really happy that this is the group of people I'll be entering the field with.
:bow::biglove:

Awwww

Okay no more sap. Carry on. :D

thanks for the words of advice. the plan came up from discussion between the both of us. I can see what you are talking about, about the trips becoming a strain or a chore. She definately (and I do as well) wants to keep the relationship going. I am very hopeful that it will all work out! I do appreciate your thoughts, and one thing that might make it easier on us, we dont have kids or cats!

As we speak, I am putting the finishing touches on my acceptance email to the U of Saskatchewan. The prof has just been so willing to talk through things with me and provide me with great access to the honest opinions of his students. I would be a fool not to accept. :laugh: I'll have to get used to living in a much smaller city than I'm used to. I think if I make sure to sign up for unlimited long distance so I can call my friends, I shouldn't get TOO lonely.

I've also been looking into VISA issues extensively (I swear I'm going to marry the people who invented Google) and it seems like there will be options for me once I have my degree. So, I'm going to do something completely out of character for me, and jump in headfirst while wishing for the best. Hehe.

So there you have it folks, I went from being a stressed out and hopeful undergrad, to a depressed and fatalistic grad school reject, to an excited but conflicted successful applicant, to now a future Ph.D. student. I think I need a drink. :laugh:

Look at this, it's so verbose. I'm disappointed in myself. haha. But anyway, thanks to everybody who posted and sent such nice PMs congratulating me! I'm happy for all of us who got in, and extremely optimistic and hopeful for the ones who are facing another round of applications. There isn't anyone here that I don't think would make a fantastic Psychologist. And on a really sappy note, I'm really happy that this is the group of people I'll be entering the field with.

Awwww

Yay!! Congrats, Raynee! I'm very excited for you :D :D

Awwww

:laugh: Glad I'm not the only one being so lengthy at this time o' night.

Congrats on your decision! :hardy: I'm glad it worked out for you, even after all the stress they put you through to get to this point.

We should all get together for a "SDN Entering Class o' xxxx" gathering. And, I'm not drinking 'til after comps! SO unfortunately I can't join in with you on that for a few more weeks at least. :( hehe, you can make a sock puppet drinking buddy so you're not going at it alone.

thanks for the words of advice. the plan came up from discussion between the both of us. I can see what you are talking about, about the trips becoming a strain or a chore. She definately (and I do as well) wants to keep the relationship going. I am very hopeful that it will all work out! I do appreciate your thoughts, and one thing that might make it easier on us, we dont have kids or cats!

Yeah, I keep forgetting that not everyone's got a kid latched on to 'em or cats running around the house. I suppose that will make things easier. Maybe. :laugh: Have RayneeDeigh make you both some sock puppets--then you can always have one another with you while you're away . . . or something.

You both sound like you want to stay together, and that's more than half the battle, trust me! (I'm someone who tried to make a LDR work for 3 years). My advice is to get a good phone plan, stay freakishly open with your communication, and don't sweat the small stuff. Remind yourself of the reasons that you're together, and you can get through this.

Yay!! Congrats, Raynee! I'm very excited for you :D :D

Thanks!!

:laugh: Glad I'm not the only one being so lengthy at this time o' night.

Congrats on your decision! :hardy: I'm glad it worked out for you, even after all the stress they put you through to get to this point.

We should all get together for a "SDN Entering Class o' xxxx" gathering. And, I'm not drinking 'til after comps! SO unfortunately I can't join in with you on that for a few more weeks at least. :( hehe, you can make a sock puppet drinking buddy so you're not going at it alone.

Oh after 11pm I get veeeeery wordy. This could be why nobody stays up to talk to me anymore. :laugh:

I actually can't drink either, I've got my dissertation powerpoint to start, an anthropology of illness final to study for, and tomorrow I'm driving to North Dakota for a daytrip (shopping, it's a must) so drinking is no good. haha. So my socks and I will be drinking iced tea tonight I suppose.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that not everyone's got a kid latched on to 'em or cats running around the house. I suppose that will make things easier. Maybe. :laugh: Have RayneeDeigh make you both some sock puppets--then you can always have one another with you while you're away . . . or something.

Those darn kids, they need to start creating them with velcro instead of latches.

Blindblonde: Well, it's about time! Even though it's a rejection I know it's better, at this point, to know than not know! I'm sorry you didn't get in, but it sounds like Wake Forest is going to work out great for you. Congratulations! :hardy: :hardy:

Awwww

Congrats RayneeDeigh! I know the joy of getting the decision over with and feeling great about it!

Also, love the sap! :p

My dad was in Saskatoon for vet school and he remembers it being full of farmers and wheat fields. :laugh: But I was there last summer for a few hours and it seems to be a gorgeous place. I'm excited. In fact, today on my trip to North Dakota I made my very first purchase for the new apartment:

B000H7PZ1K.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_V43462007_.jpg

Crazy frying pans!!

I'm also about to go on an Ikea spree this summer. I can't wait to have my very own place to express my weird decorating tastes in.

I love those pans!!

I have all stainless steel stuff (i'm a cooking snob), but those pans get style points in my book!

-t

Aren't they fantastic? :laugh: I was in the middle of complaining to my mom about how boring Saskatoon will be, and then I saw the frying pan and decided to get excited. haha

$16 at Target. I'm in love.

I'm happy for you that things are finally settled and no longer up in the air. I think you'll be happy at Wake Forest.

Blindblonde: Well, it's about time! Even though it's a rejection I know it's better, at this point, to know than not know! I'm sorry you didn't get in, but it sounds like Wake Forest is going to work out great for you. Congratulations! :hardy: :hardy:

Thanks! I believe it will work out as well. It is hard to apply to Ph.D. programs straight out of undergrad, and getting into WFU's masters can only help me out for Round 2. I'm really excited and looking forward to this fall. :D

...And on a side note, it is amazing how well you sleep after this is all said and done. :cool:

...And on a side note, it is amazing how well you sleep after this is all said and done. :cool:

I know, right?! My stress level has dropped exponentially!

Now, I am also in the final lap for my senior thesis!! It feels like the knots in my shoulders are melting as I speak! :laugh:

I'm also about to go on an Ikea spree this summer. I can't wait to have my very own place to express my weird decorating tastes in.

Amen to that! Umm, some people have started to mention stuff about my "obsession" with IKEA. I don't mind :) This is the fun part! After we have all been through the stress of applying, interviewing, deciding, budgeting, etc. we deserve to go on shopping sprees for $13 end tables, etc. :hardy:

PS- I read through the IKEA catalog like it is Cosmo. Is that so wrong?

Amen to that! Umm, some people have started to mention stuff about my "obsession" with IKEA. I don't mind :) This is the fun part! After we have all been through the stress of applying, interviewing, deciding, budgeting, etc. we deserve to go on shopping sprees for $13 end tables, etc. :hardy:

LOL The first time I was in an IKEA I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Nowhere else on earth can things be so cheap and in such stylish bright colours! :laugh:

My mom said earlier today that she thinks she and my dad should furnish my apartment with stuff from the Bombay company, but aside from that being totally too much money, it could never be as stylish as IKEA!

If that's wrong, then I don't want to be right. I actually went on an Ikea run today. Sometimes you just need those $2.50 hot dog value meals and those $.50 mugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.